"I want to do whole30 but I'm going to eat..."

Sarabeth5

I just finished my first whole30 and had awesome results.  I've had several friends say that they're going to do it too except they're going to include dairy, chips, or whatever becasue they KNOW it doesn't cause a problem for them.

I try to be supportive about their dietary improvements but I want to tell them that 1) they're not doing a whole30 if they're changing the rules and 2) if they can't give something up for 30 days doesn't that say something about their emotional connection to that food?

How do you handle this without sounding like a condescending food nazi?

Also, 3) you don't know if something is causing you problems unless you clean it out and reintroduce it. That's one of the points of a cleansing program like Whole30.

I would suggest just giving them the information and laying out the consequences for not adhering to the rules -- and not pushing it. If they still decide to do a Whole30 +, 1) they're grownups and can decide for themselves what they want to do, and 2) even halfway measures may give them some health benefits. That will give you an opening later to say, "See? if you feel this good, imagine how you'd feel going all the way with a real Whole30."

(Or you could, you know, embrace the role. Be the food nazi. Heck, it might be fun. "No milk for you!!!" ;) )

Oh my goodness, that could have been me.

I was all excited about Whole30, but a little disappointed about dairy. I mean, I get the highest quality, grass-fed, raw dairy products, and those are GOOD for me, right? I hated to deprive myself of all the benefits of my lovely raw milk, yogurt, and cheese.

5 days (!) later, I could already tell that dairy was an inflammatory, problem food for me. I had never gone 5 days without dairy in my entire life... suddenly, my skin was more clear, my eyes were brighter, and other more serious problems were clearing up.

I don't know how to convince them, but there's a great reason that they say 'you're not doing a Whole30' if you continue to eat those foods; without the very strict admonishments to STICK TO THE PLAN, I would have 'cheated' with dairy and had no idea what it was doing to me.

Good luck convincing them! 

My in-laws did that (they ate some sugar and some not-great oils, and refused to do proper breakfasts, heh), but I just refer to it as their *finger quotes* "Whole30" and they have pretty good humour about it. They know they fudged.

Archived