Please post your ZOODLE recipes here!

Brewer5

FYI -- for those who don't know, I am talking about noodles made from zucchini (or other vegetables).  

This is usually done with a "spiralizer" like the one I have from Amazon.  Apparently you can also do this with a julienne tool of some kind, which I have no experience with.   :)

A search brings up 3 discussion threads -- but I'd love to have one where we mostly just post recipes.  Links are great, too!

I came here tonight looking for quick & simple recipes, now that I finally used this thing with some summer squash.  (I have had this for over a year and never even got it out of the box).  Anyway, I got it all spiralized -- that was fun with the kids -- and then I was like, "Ok, now what?"   :D

I have gathered that we are supposed to salt it generously (I used 1/2 teaspoon for two medium/large-ish squash), 20 minutes later rinse, wring out in a towel, and then...

And then?  Fill in the blank with your favorite recipes -- please & thank you!

My sister and I just made some LOOoooong zoodles - we are talking about 9 feet each! That was fun, and a first, and probably only worked because I had a fat zuke.  I salt and then steam my zoodles:  cover in a bowl with just a touch of water and microwave for a few minutes.

Then I like to top them with bolognese sauce - TJ's marinara sauce is inexpensive and has no sugar  :D I like to add italian seasoning to some beef, and sometimes I make my own italian sausage, by seasoning ground pork with the mix of spices found here:http://www.food.com/recipe/seasoning-for-ground-pork-italian-style-sausage-178446  FYI: I like fennel instead of anise.  Hope that isn't too basic...interested to see what others will post, too!

My method:

The night before - zoodle at least 1 zucchini per person, more if you have big eaters or want leftovers.  Put them in a colonder, sprinkle liberally with salt and let sit about 20 minutes.  Rinse well, drain, wrap in paper towels in a bowl or plastic bag.  I use the salad spinner strainer for this and then just keep it in the spinner.  Refridgerate.  Change the paper towels as often as you remember - 2-3 times.  I usually do this while I'm making that night's dinner or while I'm cleaning up after dinner.  It really takes no time at all. 

The night of - turn on the oven to 350.  Dump the zoodles onto a cookie sheet and put them in the oven while it's heating.  Meanwhile, cook your meat and sauce.  I either brown ground beef and add marinara sauce or brown Italian sausages and add pesto.  When the meat/sauce is done, take out the zoodles and serve.  It's so quick and easy for a work night!

My kids think zoodles are hilarious, btw.  I never thought they'd want to eat zucchini!  And husband prefers zoodles to pasta!

I salt my zoodles and let them sit in a strainer at least half an hour.  Then rinse them and let them stay in the strainer in the fridge overnight.  Then I pour Moroccan Dipping Sauce from Well Fed over them.  

I have found that if I cut the "noodles" about every 8-10 turns of the spiralizer, it is easier to get them out of the bowl.....  unless you want to use scissors on them as you are serving  :P

I salt my zoodles and let them sit in a strainer at least half an hour.  Then rinse them and let them stay in the strainer in the fridge overnight.  Then I pour Moroccan Dipping Sauce from Well Fed over them.  

I have found that if I cut the "noodles" about every 8-10 turns of the spiralizer, it is easier to get them out of the bowl.....  unless you want to use scissors on them as you are serving  :P

Good point, except the super long ones are part of what gets the kids to eat them! LOL  I, on the other hand, prefer to cut mine.

• 2 weeks later...

My two faves (not including topped with tomato meat sauce):

Puttanesca: Toss zoodles in a deep skillet with minced garlic, olive oil, diced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, sliced kalamata olives, and a little chicken bome broth. Heat through (I like zoodles al dente, so it doesn't take long).

Greek Zoodle Salad: Zoodles, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, chopped cuke, sliced kalamata olives, whatever veg you got. Toss with homemade greek salad dressing. I make this ahead of time and the vinegar in the dressing softens the zoodles a bit.

I just discovered zucchini noodles!  I followed these instructions for the noodles:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/05/27/basic-zucchini-noodles/

and sauteed a clove of mashed garlic with about a 1.5  cups of sugar snap peans and a cup of bean sprouts.  Topped the whole thing off with Creamy Tahini Vinagrette:

http://www.edibleharmony.com/creamy-tahini-vinagrette/ (I am seriously in love with this dressing)

and grilled chicken breast.  I had leftovers for dinner last night and it was just as good cold as hot! 

• 4 weeks later...

Raw Guaca-Zoodles

1 medium zucchini, "zoodle'd"

1/2 an avocado, diced

lemon or lime juice

cumin, cayenne, sea salt

handful of cherry tomatoes, halved/quartered

protein of choice*

Mash avocado with lemon/lime and seasoning to taste. Mix with zoodles, then add tomatoes and protein. I suppose you can cook the zoodles, but I found this dish to be very refreshing raw.

*I used an crumbled elk-cherry burger that I bought at my local natural foods store, but diced chicken breast is also good.

• 3 months later...

Some of these might've been listed, but I'm just copying from a reddit thread I've got bookmarked:

I don't have a pad thai recipe but here are the recipes I collected that made me realize I wanted a spiralizer, so I purchased one. I haven't had time to make all of these dishes yet, but I plan to over time. I've already made up some versions of my own recipes as well:
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Asparagus and Shrimp
Pasta-less Zucchini Pasta Salad
Spinach and Goat Cheese Zucchini Spaghetti Frittata
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Pan-Seared Diver Scallops
Deconstructed Manicotti Skillet with Zucchini Noodles
Easy Pomodoro Sauce with Zucchini Noodles
Lobster Tail Fra Diavolo with Zucchini Noodles
Skinny Cucumber Noodles with Shrimp
Spiralized Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce - video
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
Low Carb Zucchini Fries - this recipe uses sliced zucchini but I was going to try the "curly fries" sized blade on my Paderno spiralizer to recreate this recipe since I don't eat potatoes and wanted to find a use for the curly fries sized blade.
Spiralized Tzatziki Cucumber Salad
Pistachio Pesto Pasta - this one is not made with spiralized vegetables but I was planning on using the sauce from this on some spiralized vegetables. Probably zucchini because I freaking love zucchini and could eat it daily.
That said, ANY pasta sauce recipe you can find you can just substitute out spiralized vegetables for the pasta. The possibilities are only as limited as your imagination or ability to use a search engine to search for "pasta sauce recipes." :D
There are many other ways to use the spiralizer that aren't simply just pasta substitutions - there are TONS of recipes out there on the internet. You can spiralize most vegetables - any root vegetables (including onions), squash of the soft or hard variety, any above-ground vegetable stems (broccoli, cauliflower), cabbages... and any recipe that includes "julienne" style vegetables could be spiralized instead of julienne style. Obviously a lot of recipes aren't remotely keto and some of the above recipes may need to be smaller portions or modified to be as keto as I'm seeking, but there's a lot out there. I also didn't include any of the ton of recipes that included spicy ingredients (that wouldn't be easily omitted) because that's just not my thing but I found more spicy sauces recipes than I found non-spicy so if that's your thing, get thee to the internet and do some searches. Also get creative and just make stuff up!
Here's my favorite (so far) self-made sauce recipe for zucchini noodles (EDITED to add that this is for a 2-serving dish on top of about 2 cups of spiralized zucchini, or roughly two medium-small zucchinis. Also, I often add cooked diced chicken breast to this dish as well in whatever portions meet my keto caculator requirements for the end of the day):
1 tablespoon butter
1-3 cloves garlic, minced (depending on how much you like garlic)
1 ounce cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
optional: a sprinkle of dried herbs of your preference
optional #2: fine grated or shaved parmesan - the former for mixing into the sauce, the latter for sprinkling on top of the dish
I put these in the pan in the order listed and stir them around before adding the next ingredient. In the end it's a very creamy sauce that's as thick as your average non-keto alfredo so it's got a nice mouth-feel and sticks to the noodles quite well. I've also done the same without the cream cheese but it ends up much more like a soupy sauce and doesn't stick to the noodles well but is quite tasty all the same.
Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Another veg noodle I love to make (in the summer) is cucumber noodles (I use the Vegetti, btw, and absolutely love it - inexpensive, easy to use, and small).

Mix the cuke-noodles with a Whole30 compliant faux-peanut-sauce (like Melissa Joulwan's Sunshine Sauce, so good), chopped red peppers, sliced green onions, and steamed snap peas. Add protein of choice - slivered almonds, cooked chicken, shrimp, etc. Easy & yummy!

Archived