HELP! Has my multivitamin ruined my Whole30?

nobodynew

Yikes! I was taking my multivitamin as usual this morning when I casually glanced at the list of ingredients, only for these horrors to jump out at me:

-Colours (Titanium dioxide E171, Iron oxide E172)

-Purified talc (WTF?!)

-Modified starch

-Maize starch

-Copper sulphate

-Mannitol

-SUGAR :angry:

What the hell is all that about? Do I need to reset or is the dose too small to affect my Whole30?

Please help...

Nicole x

• Moderators

The crap they put in stuff is amazing!

I would not restart a Whole30 over the stuff in your multivitamin, but would stop taking that one. I don't recognize ALL those ingredients, but you do want to avoid the starch and sugar for sure, even in the small amounts present. Now good luck finding a completely clean multivitamin. The good news is that you are probably not missing anything important from a multivitamin when you are eating real whole foods exclusively and eating a good variety of foods.

Thanks guys, lucky for me I hadn't put the thing in my mouth yet so I threw them straight in the bin. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw sugar and e numbers! Tom, I think you're probably right, I'm eating such a variety of stuff that I can't see why I would be in danger of any deficiencies and Adagio, thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check those out =D

Hi,

I have a very similar question - and have been worrying about it this morning! .. so would really appreciate some guidance.

I am on Day 12 of the Whole30 and 2 days ago I started taking CO Q10 for fatigue and yesterday was the first time in literally months I noticed an improvement. I was so excited! But then this morning I noticed it has an allergy warning on the label that says it contains soy ingredients? .. so I looked closer at the ingredients and it contains:

Gelatin, Glycerin, Carob, Rice Bran Oil, Beeswax .... ??

Does that mean I should stop taking it? ...

If so, would anyone have any other ideas for combating fatigue symptoms ... I'm doing everything food wise (i.e. following the autoimmune protocol) ... and I have not noticed any improvement.

Thank YOU.

Hi,

I have a very similar question - and have been worrying about it this morning! .. so would really appreciate some guidance.

I am on Day 12 of the Whole30 and 2 days ago I started taking CO Q10 for fatigue and yesterday was the first time in literally months I noticed an improvement. I was so excited! But then this morning I noticed it has an allergy warning on the label that says it contains soy ingredients? .. so I looked closer at the ingredients and it contains:

Gelatin, Glycerin, Carob, Rice Bran Oil, Beeswax .... ??

Does that mean I should stop taking it? ...

If so, would anyone have any other ideas for combating fatigue symptoms ... I'm doing everything food wise (i.e. following the autoimmune protocol) ... and I have not noticed any improvement.

Thank YOU.

You are still pretty early on into your whole30, it could still take a few days for you energy to come back. Be patient.

As far as you supplement, I would suggest to stop taking it and find a better brand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar question. I am also on Day 12 of Whole30. I hope to get pregnant soon, so per my doctor's orders I am taking a prenatal vitamin for 3 months before trying to conceive. It has a lot of ingredients that I am not sure about, including Cellulose Gel, Absorbic Acid, and Maltodextrin. Should I stop taking it? Is it ruining my Whole30? Should I start over?

• 3 years later...

How much is just not important? I found a multivitamin that meets my med needs , not easy an just one of the many many vitamins says it is derived from rice starch. Should I start over,it must be a miniscule amount considering the number of things in the formulation.

Archived