Whole 30 and Exercise

Ok. Any advice/input is appreciated :)  I am starting day 9 and am feeling pretty darn good about the changes I'm making. But-I'm DYING to step on the scale!!! I don't want to equate this program as a success or failure based on whether or not I lose weight, so I really am trying hard to stay away from that thing! I did, however, try on a pair of pants that have been tight for the past few months and guess what? They are just as tight now as any other time. I know according to the timeline this could just be part of it since I'm on Day 9, but I can't say I'm not a teeny, tiny bit frustrated :( Oh well, that's just part of it I guess...

Now for my question: Should I make an effort to actively be exercising/working out? I am trying to be active, but not necessarily "work out" or train in any way. I am really trying to take these 30 days to focus on my food and relationship with it. Historically, I've been the girl that jumps in with both feet hard core diet and exercise for about 3-5 days and then quits. I SO BADLY do not want that to happen here! I used to run regularly and even completed several half marathons so I kind of miss the training, but I also don't want to revert back to my self-sabotaging all or nothing methods. But I can't help thinking that I'd drop some weight faster if I started some sort of program...thoughts???

• Moderators

You would be wrong to think you can accelerate weight loss by exercising, at least that was my experience when I tried to do it. I did my first Whole30 while CrossFitting regularly. To try and make myself lose weight faster, I added extra running to my routine and was frustrated to find that it... made no difference. Back in 2010, we did not say you could not weigh yourself daily. I did and found that there was no pattern. I could be up a few pounds or down a few pounds every day. The scale really did not offer meaningful information. I was pissed when I worked out extra and did not lose weight the next day. All by myself after a month or two of frustration, I started weighing just once per month. What I found was that I lost 2 pounds per month very regularly and kept losing for 15 months at that same rate. 

More broadly, exercise is good and you need to be active or exercise to maximize your health, but you might want to be careful about trying to use it as a weight loss tool, at least at the present time.

You would be wrong to think you can accelerate weight loss by exercising, at least that was my experience when I tried to do it. I did my first Whole30 while CrossFitting regularly. To try and make myself lose weight faster, I added extra running to my routine and was frustrated to find that it... made no difference. Back in 2010, we did not say you could not weigh yourself daily. I did and found that there was no pattern. I could be up a few pounds or down a few pounds every day. The scale really did not offer meaningful information. I was pissed when I worked out extra and did not lose weight the next day. All by myself after a month or two of frustration, I started weighing just once per month. What I found was that I lost 2 pounds per month very regularly and kept losing for 15 months at that same rate. 

More broadly, exercise is good and you need to be active or exercise to maximize your health, but you might want to be careful about trying to use it as a weight loss tool, at least at the present time.

Thank you so much, Tom! I had actually been feeling guilty about just focusing on my diet during this program. I enjoy running, but used it and other exercise methods as a weight loss tool solely and allowed it to, like my eating, dictate whether or not I was good or bad that day. I am thinking I will use these 30 days to focus on food and just being active for enjoyment. And after I have a better relationship with food, hopefully I will develop a better relationship with exercise :)

Have a great day!

I had the same bloated/weight gain feeling around day 9 or 10 as well.  I thought 'this is the worst diet ever!'.  But I stuck with it and once my body stopped looking for sugar to burn and started burning fat, I shrank.  So stick with it!

Archived