August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

So much chatter since I joined this forum yesterday!

I don't know how to do the trick where you copy someone's post into your reply-  if anyone wants to give a brief "how to" I would appreciate it!    For this time I will just do the names:

JennyF and others -   thanks for posting the video on making habits stick.  Several people mentioned watching it over and over and taking notes.   I will be watching it tonight but am wondering what were the top 1 or 2 things you learned from it?

Andria-    "SWYPO" (I also do not know how to do links.....)   Hilarious when I linked through and realized what this stood for!!!  But then I realized that the article was actually a pretty serious topic.  Since Whole30 is about redefining my relationship with food and consciously making good... better... best decisions I am going to try not to stray into any "SWYPO" territory.   

That said -   I am really, really dreading losing my coffee with milk (which I am drinking as a write this post).    Is there any mix in for coffee that doesn't come under the heading of "SWYPO"???????

BrianNC-    my "last meal" will be breakfast tomorrow...... oatmeal with fruit and coffee with milk ....   not very inspiring to many perhaps, but it is what I think I will miss the most!  

Lynn

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Lynn that I don't know how to copy someone's post into my reply and would appreciate help with that.

Jenny, I am interested in the blog. Where do I go to blog my Whole30 each day? I think that would be helpful for me.

I haven't decided about a last meal or last day tomorrow. I don't want to start out Friday feeling so lousy that I might be tempted to go off plan on the very first day! Like Lynn, my hardest part might be giving up my cream in my coffee. I used to drink black but that was many years ago. Maybe I can begin to enjoy the nuances of a really good coffee grind! And Lynn, if you find something that is on-plan as a substitute, be sure to let me know :)

Today will be a testing ground for me. I've been at school this week for in-service (kids start on Friday!) so today our parent organization is providing lunch. No idea what it will be, but it is these kinds of situations that make me sweat. I don't like to be picky nor do I like to tell people what I'm doing. There are times I just want to say I am gluten-intolerant or have celiac (sorry you celiac folks, I know it's not fun) but it would take the heat off of what I eat in front of others. Crazy, I know!

The link to the recipes is great and I plan to peruse it. I'm glad this is starting on a Friday because by Monday we will have 3 days under our belt to start a new week.

I hope everyone has a great day of planning and strategizing on how this is going to work. This group is really helpful!

Hi everyone,

1) Who you are, your interests

My name is Marion and I am from the Netherlands. I used to be an obstetrician but now I work as a member of the board of a hospital. I am married and have 4 children and 3 grandchildren. I love my work and to cook, travel, read and enjoy family time as well.

2) Why you are joining the Whole 30

I started Paleo after having problem with muscle cramps while eating low carb. My son who lives in California got me into Paleo. This program give me the opportunity to start living more healthy and loose the extra lbs I want to melt away.

I am cooking from Well fed 1 and 2 and like that a lot.

3) What your greatest challenges are

corporate meetings, dinner parties, not my once a week glass of delicious Red wine. Support. Will miss my one piece of very dark chocolate!

4) List at least 3 goals you hope to accomplish during August

fit in my slim fit business suits (I do now but it is too tight to be beautiful in it)

fit in my favorite dress again

feel free and healthy

Good luck everyone!

Well here goes nothing!

Katie and I never have room in the refrigerator. Now after the Whole30 purge... We have nothing left in the fridge! Cabinets are even completely empty... Not sure if I know what I am getting myself in to.

We do have a lot of spices haha, not sure how filling those will be over the next 30 days!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Megan and I am diving in on August 1 with you all! This will be my second Whole30 and after 3 weddings, prepping for a house sale, and a vacation, I'm in need of some major Whole30 butt kicking to get me back in line. I'm 29 years old and from Michigan and although I eat a paleo-ish type of diet, I haven't been as disciplined as I would like recently. Not beating myself up over it because, life happens!  But I want to feel as good as I did when I completed my first Whole 30.  My husband will be eating whatever I make and supporting me during my Whole 30, but he's not committing 100%.  I am an environmental scientist and I work for a consulting company, which means long days spent sitting at a computer.  I'm really interested in nutrition and clean eating and I love to travel, cook, garden, and spend QT with my family and friends!

Get myself back in control of my cravings and to feel good again!

Sweets, although I never knew I had a sweet tooth, it's something I struggled with during my first W30. Another struggle will be dining out and getting drinks with friends.

-Control my cravings

-Work out consistently during this W30, yoga, kettle bells, riding my bike at least 3+ times a week.

-Get back into healthy habits that make me feel good every day.

I wasn't active in the forum last time but I'm hoping it will keep my motivated to hear and learn from all of you.  My two pieces of advice for new Whole30'ers: stay away from SWYPO foods, there is a reason the program tells you to avoid them.  You won't get over cravings if you eat foods that your brain thinks are the same as the ones you're avoiding.  And keep your fruit and especially dried fruit consumption in check.  I thought I was doing just fine but realized I was snacking on dried fruit way too often and I wasn't able to combat my sugar dragon while still snacking on it. Everyone is different but those are two things I experienced that I thought I would share!  Oh and I hope you are all reading ISWF, it's amazing!

Best of luck to everyone, the hard work is totally worth it!!! :)

So much chatter since I joined this forum yesterday!

I don't know how to do the trick where you copy someone's post into your reply-  if anyone wants to give a brief "how to" I would appreciate it!    For this time I will just do the names:

JennyF and others -   thanks for posting the video on making habits stick.  Several people mentioned watching it over and over and taking notes.   I will be watching it tonight but am wondering what were the top 1 or 2 things you learned from it?

Andria-    "SWYPO" (I also do not know how to do links.....)   Hilarious when I linked through and realized what this stood for!!!  But then I realized that the article was actually a pretty serious topic.  Since Whole30 is about redefining my relationship with food and consciously making good... better... best decisions I am going to try not to stray into any "SWYPO" territory.   

That said -   I am really, really dreading losing my coffee with milk (which I am drinking as a write this post).    Is there any mix in for coffee that doesn't come under the heading of "SWYPO"???????

BrianNC-    my "last meal" will be breakfast tomorrow...... oatmeal with fruit and coffee with milk ....   not very inspiring to many perhaps, but it is what I think I will miss the most!  

Lynn

check out bulletproof coffee! There are several different ways to make it but my favorite it to mix one mug of coffee with a little less than a tablespoon of good coconut oil.  Blend for about 20 seconds and voila! Amazing, creamy coffee.  I use a hand/immersion blender to make mine but it's easily done in a regular blender as well.  It's not only delicious but it gives you a great energy boost and dose of healthy fats to start your day with.

Hello all - Colleen here - checking in!! 

I agree with the SWYPO advice from Megan, and regarding the fruit.  I felt great following my first Whole30, but know I over-did the fruit.  I think I used it to replace other high carb foods and would have been better off avoiding/limiting it.  Another problem for me was nut butter - turns out almond butter is delicious!  and creamy!  Since I do desire to lose weight, I will be strictly limiting these. 

Have a great day everyone!! 

Howdy!

Thanks for the invite to the support group. It's a great idea!

1. Who you are and your interests

My name is Patricia and i'm 27yrs old. My husband and I are in the process of buying a condo in Charlotte, NC with his brother, wife and two kids, so that's where we will be living for a while. I've always considered myself a healthy eater with a sweet tooth. Then I started food logging just to get an idea of what I actually eat vs what I think I eat and man, was i pretty off about that healthy part. My husband will be doing this whole30 with me simply because I'm the cook of the house. He's supportive, which is great and i'm hoping he will stick with it long enough to see changes in his acne and then be hooked. Most of my energy at the moment is being spent trying to close on this condo (august 11th), starting the process of preparing for an Appalachian trail thru-hike next year, and taking care of my suddenly larger family. I love cooking- which makes this more fun because I'll be trying new recipes- working out, knitting, hiking/camping, and reading. 

2. why are you doing a whole30.

I have a pretty uncontrollable sweet tooth that leaves me exhausted in the middle of the day and i feel like it's not something i want to continue hanging over me.

3. what are your biggest challenges

I have pretty much zero willpower when it comes to saying no to sweets and i'm really good at talking myself out of hard challenges. I talked my self out of my first attempt at a whole30 on day 15. I'm an emotional sweet eater and this has been a very stressful last month. We are 4 adults and 2 kids in between houses because our lease was up before our condo closed, so We've had to move every week to a new place since the middle of July and until august 11th. So controlling that stress is a big challenge.

4. List 3 goals you will accomplish in August

While I do workout 5 days a week, I spend a lot of my day being sedentary. My first goal is to not spend more than one hour at a time sitting- after an hour I want to spend at least 15 minutes standing or doing some kind of movement.  

I want to break my habit of emotional eating and i think that will revolve around stress management. My second goal is to do yoga twice a week and focus on my breath when i get a craving.

Lastly, I want to finish what I'm starting. I have an incredibly bad habit of not finishing what I start and as I get older it only gets easier to stick with my status quo. So I want to finish the whole30.

With all that out of the way I'm super excited to be doing this with more support than I had last time. I think that will make all the difference. Fun til death!

Hi!

I'm so glad I found this group!

My name is Melissa. I'm 43, married and we have 3 kids, 17, 16 and 10. I love to be creative. I'm very laid back. My favorite thing is to hang out with my family. I also love nature and solitude. I'm not athletic, but I love to run, however, I've had some knee problems that have kept me from running the past couple of years, so now I walk.

Our family of 5 is doing the Whole30 because we all have some kind of issue, from extra weight, to eczema to just being tired a lot, that we feel Whole30 will help with. Basically, we want to feel better and be as healthy as we can.

We've gotten quite a few extended family members and friends on board, too, so it should be a lot of fun!

My greatest challenge will be cooking. Um, I really don't like to cook. But, I'm ready to change my attitude!

1. Complete Whole30

2. Embrace cooking...a lot!

3. To increase my energy levels!

This is our first time doing a Whole30.

I do have a question: my son's 18th bday is August 19. He wants to eat cake on his bday. So, we were going to wait until August 20 to start, but my husband and I do t want to wait, so dh and I will go ahead and start August 1, with the kids mostly eating as we are, the kids will eat cake on the 19th, then they will start on the 20th and we'll all do it together until September 20.

Is there a proem with dh and me doing it for a planned 50 days?

Tia!

Okay I have been inspired as of late (that or teacher summer vacation is getting to me) and have decided to turn this Whole30 into something bigger for me. I am in the process of creating a blog along with a daily log on the whole9 forum. I even created a twitter and an instagram. It all won't revolve around just Whole30, but it will have a heck of a lot to do with it, especially for this first 30 days. I hope you don't mind me posting the handles and blog website, I would love any support I can get as I am not really posting this to my FB friends and family. This is a journey for me and my new found internet friends haha.

Blog: http://risingaboveaverage.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @RisingAboveAver

Instagram: @risingaboveaverage

-- 43 year old guy who, while, in better shape than he was at 39, can still do a lot more to get healthier.  i weight train 3x a week, do cardio around 4x, but the eating thing needs to be more consistent.  I went from NEVER cooking (i.e., eating out 100% of the time) to actually COOKING!  i've done recipes in WF, WF2, and NNP.  I went from having no cookware to a stocked pantry and appliance drawer.  I've been eating W30 but not on any consistent basis, more like I'd been eating it as often as my schedule has allowed me to cook (and wash dishes)  Which has actually been more than I would've thought a while back, but I really want it to be consistent for at least 30 days.  Not looking for a quick fix, but I am looking to dive in.  Looking forward to doing it with a bunch of other August 1st-ers!

-- I feel better, healthier and good about knowing what I'm putting in my body when I eat like this.

-- Staying on top of cooking and doing dishes (that last one can mess up my time since I don't have a dishwasher)

-- a) actually COMPLETE it.  While I've cooked and eaten like this a lot and often, I have yet to go a full 30 days straight and I look forward to it.

B) make beef bone broth!!

c) Because I don't drink coffee, but DO drink diet coke, I also look forward to stopping caffeine.  (so i can expected headaches along with everything else in the beginning)

Can't wait!

Rollo

....  I came across a neat little video yesterday and posted it on this thread.  You may find it useful in understanding why it's difficult to quit certain habits. I watched it 3 times and took notes.  It really resonated with me.

This was a great video. Thanks for posting it, JennyF. 

Hi all, Raymond here in Costa Rica.

JUST registered, and was invited to this thread by Lazy Marla

54 years old, originally from USA/Canada, been living here in Costa Rica since 2001. Last 15 years have been a continual journey of getting healthier.

1st "change" started in 2000, living in Southern California at the time, I was over 300 lbs, (320) typical workaholic, at a desk 10 hrs a day, no exercise, constant junk food day and night, cranky, tired, depressed.

Got fed up with being depressed, feeling old, no energy, and bad body image. Because of personal changes (separation from my CR wife) I had the freedom to move to a new location (Vancouver) where no one knew me, so I had no "un-support group" of friends with unhealthy lifestyles. 

After 2 days in Vancouver by myself, I bought the book "Protein Power", and followed in to the 9th degree. I cut all carbs to virtually nothing, stuck on a fairly strict diet that is similar to what is now popular as "Paleo", and went from 320 lbs-190 lbs in 10 months with only that diet change and long walks daily as excursive. No Gym, no trainer. Just cut the crap food, ate right and daily long energetic walking. The most expensive part of the process, was a joy, after 4 months, and every 3 months, shopping for WAY smaller size clothes or having so mine take things in to fit the "new me"

:-)

Obviously, that 130 lb weight loss, that quickly changed everything in my life for the better, but also opened me up 2 things. One, to paying attention to my diet and realizing how and what I ate defines my health. Two, It also gave me a very strong " if I can lose 120+ lbs in less then a year with no surgery or pills, I can do anything" :-)

Shortly after that, moved to Costa Rica. Anyone that does not know, Costa Rica is one of the 7 "BlueZones" globally where people live longer, healthier lives. So all around me, I had (and still have) 70 to 90 year olds, men and women, that are in far better physical condition then me, working full days running their ranches and farms and homes and businesses, very active lifestyles, and even now, I go hiking up the mountains and can't keep up with them. Humbling and motivating at the same time.

But I have had some other health /diet revelations in the last 3 years, and it leads me to believe that going "cold turkey" for 30 days on this plan, while it will be difficult, may well bring me amazing results, and let me learn even more about what foods effect me in what ways. I have already this year been cutting way back on sugar, and way less of anything made with grains.

And I can do ANYTHING for 30 days :-) Just try me !

Currently at around 205, but I will weigh myself tomorrow to get the "starting weight" to make sure.

I have one distinct advantage, and that's that Costa Rica is the healthiest place for this I know, it has has a 365 day a year "perfect springtime weather" growing season, so you do not get affected by seasonality, with an assortment of amazing vegetables and fruits, many I never knew of till coming to Costa Rica.

I have an "every Saturday Feria" or Costa rica Farmers Market that I go to, (Costa Rica style, the family selling the food, actually ARE the farmers that grew and picked it, no middle men) so loading up on good things to eat for the whole30 day plan, that fit the plan, will be easy.

And animal protein here is also much healthier, free range chicken and grass fed beef are the norm here, and pork is great, and seafood is abundant and FRESH FRESH, I have fishermen friends that I get Lobster, Shrimp "still kicking" and fish that were caught that same day, abundant varieties, mostly saltwater, but freshwater trout and talapia as well as a HUGE freshwater prawns that is in the rivers here, big as a small lobster.

fyi, I am writing all this to "make a public commitment" to  the whole30 day plan, showing myself and the world I have ZERO excuse to cheat or not complete.

Raymond / Healthy Living in Costa Rica

Hi all!  Thought I'd share my favorite blogs from my last Whole30 to give you all some recipe inspiration.  I'd love to hear about any good ones you've found too! :)

Nom Nom Paleo  - awesome W30 recipes!

Against All Grain - you can bookmark her SWYPO paleo goodies for after your W30  ;)

Deliciously Organic - my favorite recipe is her Coconut Panna Cotta - amazing (even w/out the honey)!

PaleOMG - she has great paleo recipes which are usually pretty easy to make W30.

The Clothes Make the Girl - of course! Plus her cookbooks are stellar.

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for creating this thread - it is exactly what I needed. My name is Stephanie and I live in Boston, MA.

A little bit about my background is that I am an avid runner and have always been in pretty good shape (I didn't realize at the time that I should have been happy with my body but that's hindsight for ya). about a year and a half ago, I purchased a home and moved and since then, my routine totally changed, I made up excuses to not work out, started eating poorly because I was working on the house and so forth. Overall, I put on 25 pounds over a 6 month period and haven't lost it since.

I finally have gotten into my exercise routine and am fine there, but I have developed really bad habits over this timeframe where I "let loose". I binge a lot and have destructive thoughts like "oh I ate a bite of ice cream so I did bad today now can eat the rest of the gallon because, why not? I will start over tomorrow". Then I have one slip and start the cycle all over again. its crazy!

I have tried to complete the Whole30 maybe 6 times at this point and haven't made it past day 12. When I got as far as day 12, I felt awesome and made great progress but thought that I "deserved" a "cheat day" because I was doing well and wanted to not feel deprived like you read about doing and then binge later. That's why I am hoping being an active part of this community will help keep me going in my time of need. I have also paid the $15 for the daily email encouragement - whatever it takes!! 

With that being said my goals for August are:

• just to complete the full 30 days will be huge
  • Losing some weight is a plus too
  • Just feeling better overall
  • most importantly, fixing this damaging relationship with food I have created and fed into (literally) over the last year and a half

I do have a couple obstacles in August that I will figure out what to do at the time but in general they are (in case anyone has advice):

• Friends Wedding
  • 2 day work trip
  • Plus a couple work dinners/lunches
  • 2 weeks where my best friend is visiting (she's a nutritionist and a vegan so she gets the whole trying to be healthy thing and I don't see this being a big issue but not sure what our plans are yet of yet)
  • Lastly, I just started a new job and don't want people to think I am rude when I don't eat the catered lunches, birthday cakes, etc.

But I am ready to commit to this and feel great. Once I start to feel as good as I did before, I know I can stick with it. just gotta get there.

Thanks for the support guys and I am glad we have each other. We will get through this!

Hey guys, if you want to quote something that someone else has written, there is a 'multiquote' or 'quote' button at the end of each post. Just click on this and it will paste it into your reply :)

I officially finished my first Whole30 today and it is good :) My results so far are much clearer skin and a loss of 2 inches from my waist, 2 from my hips and 1 from each thigh. I've also got so much more energy and have been able to go to the gym at 4:30am 4 days a week before work without feeling exhausted at the end of each day. No more foggy head for me! I also only eat the three meals a day and don't feel a desire to snack.

My goal for this next round starting tomorrow really is to eat less fruit and a larger variety of vegetables. Having our kitchen done next week will help with this!

Looking forward to starting the next round with this group :)

Wow! This might be the greatest forum I've seen! So many folks joining here and only a day away! I want to follow Brian's blog and I still want to figure out how to blog on this site for myself.

I have plenty to eat for Friday and have a plan in place. The weekend will be good to shop and then make a cook up on Sunday afternoon. If you have not visited Melissa Joulwan's site, www.theclothesmakethegirl.com,  you need to go there immediately! She has how to cook up a week's worth of food for each of the 4 weeks of the Whole30. It is really great and her recipes are delicious. I use them constantly.

My new favorite veg is julienned yellow squash and zucchini! Who would've known! Such a great texture and a nice side to meats and salads. I would not have figured this out apart from Melissa's cookbooks.

I am so bad with names, but thanks MRM for the advice on bulletproof coffee! I'm trying that out! And thanks to bwr for helping me figure out copying the post.

My goal is to write at least once a day and maybe blog (if I can figure it out!!)

Guest Andria

I'm going to enjoy every bite!!   :)

I don't really care about the SWYPO.  My reasons for doing this are to find what my body may be allergic or reactive to.  I'm testing for food sensitivities as well as to cut down on processed foods.  If it's on the list, I'm eating it; frozen, cooked, baked or otherwise, but sticking to the allowed foods list only.  

That's fine :) We are all grown-ups and can do want we want. I just want to be sure that others are not confused and think that it is ok to make Paleo-fied ice cream.  One of the purposes of the Whole30 is to change one's relationship with food. For someone who has a sweet tooth or has a "need" for ice cream every night after dinner, this Paleo ice cream would continue to foster these habits.  So in the (paraphrased) words of the moderators - not following the rules makes it technically not a Whole30.

Okay I have been inspired as of late (that or teacher summer vacation is getting to me) and have decided to turn this Whole30 into something bigger for me. I am in the process of creating a blog along with a daily log on the whole9 forum. I even created a twitter and an instagram. It all won't revolve around just Whole30, but it will have a heck of a lot to do with it, especially for this first 30 days. I hope you don't mind me posting the handles and blog website, I would love any support I can get as I am not really posting this to my FB friends and family. This is a journey for me and my new found internet friends haha.

Blog: http://risingaboveaverage.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @RisingAboveAver

Instagram: @risingaboveaverage

Hey Brian, I'm looking forward to reading your blog!  

For those who want to post their own journey, there is a spot on this forum where you can post about your own journey:

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

They call it a "Log" but it's a place to write about your own experiences.  Or you can go on to Blogger.com and open up a free account in about 10 minutes. You don't have to be a wiz at creating blogs because they have templates that you can choose from for free. It's very easy to do.

I'm stoked that so many have joined this thread!  This is going to be a dynamo group!

:D .  

That's fine :) We are all grown-ups and can do want we want. I just want to be sure that others are not confused and think that it is ok to make Paleo-fied ice cream.  One of the purposes of the Whole30 is to change one's relationship with food. For someone who has a sweet tooth or has a "need" for ice cream every night after dinner, this Paleo ice cream would continue to foster these habits.  So in the (paraphrased) words of the moderators - not following the rules makes it technically not a Whole30.

That's a good point actually, we in the group all know your reasons, but a lot of people do the full whole30 for the mental and emotional as well as the physical benefits, and if you are planning on blogging your journey, you may encounter a few thought police who will blast you for it. Maybe calling it an elimination diet might be easier for your blogging? 

Hi everyone.  My name is Sonya.  I am from New Zealand but haven't lived there since 2001 when I started teaching internationally. Our baby girl turned 14 months old yesterday and this past year has been really challenging for me physically.  My hips and spine are not in alignment (that softening thing your body does before having a baby went out of control!) and it is really painful almost all the time.  I am still nursing her so pain meds are out.  Luckily, massage is in! I used to be very active but not so much.  I am excited for the Whole 30 and I know I will need your support over the next 30 days! 

My goals:

1. To be prepared

2. To be prepared

3. To be prepared

I know myself and I know that I can do this if I am prepared!  

Good luck to us all - we can do hard things :)

Welcome Sterborg, we've got quite a few kiwis represented here.

I will be spending tonight preparing food for my conference, that I can transport easily. I have leftover corned beef, will be making boiled eggs, and taking bags of carrot sticks, almond butter dipping pots, coconut butter bars, and some boiled cauliflower, broccoli and carrot mix. I feel like I will be craving veges, but I don't know what else to pack :wacko:

At least sundays dinner is in the fridge for when I get back...

Archived