Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

Does your heart begin to race when you eat refined carbs?

10 Reasons why hashimotos patients don't get better. 

Constantly skipping breakfast and missing meals will aggravate your autoimmune response and promote autoimmune flare-ups.

Missing meals

When blood sugar gets too low it raises the inflammatory messenger IL-6 and promotes autoimmune flare-ups. Symptoms of low blood sugar are most noticeable between meals or if you skip meals and include shakiness, blurred vision, crankiness and irritability, and loss of function. If you feel a jump in your function and energy after eating it confirms your blood sugar was low—when your blood sugar is stable the only thing you should feel after eating is not hungry. Constantly skipping breakfast and missing meals will aggravate your autoimmune response and promote autoimmune flare-ups.

Ignoring insulin sugar spikes

Surges of insulin that follow eating or drinking something sugary or starchy (sweet coffee drinks, desserts, bowls of pasta or rice, bread, etc.) trigger the inflammatory TH-17 activity, which promotes autoimmune flare-ups. Eating sweets throughout the day or overeating promotes insulin surges, which can be identified by symptoms of fatigue or sugar cravings immediately after eating. If you have those symptoms after eating it means you are not managing your insulin levels and your Hashimoto’s autoimmune response will be hard to tame.

Not avoiding gluten cross-reactive foods

Although a strict gluten-free diet is a great place to start, if you are still eating foods that cross-react with gluten you may not recover well. Cross-reactive foods have proteins similar in structure to gluten and can trigger the same immune response as if you were eating gluten. The most commonly ignored cross-reactive food is milk (casein), followed by rice, corn, sesame, and gluten-free oats. In fact, it is best to avoid all grains and adopt a diet such as a Paleo diet when you have Hashimoto’s.

Fixating their focus on thyroid hormone replacement only

Many thyroid patients believe that if they could only figure out the perfect version of thyroid hormones (natural versus bio-identical or T3 versus T4) they can correct all of their symptoms. Unfortunately, Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism is a complex autoimmune disorder and thyroid hormone replacement is only one part of a large puzzle. However, if you need help learning more about thyroid hormone variations please refer to a previous newsletter article titled,Which thyroid hormone is right for you?

Taking Immune Enhancing Supplements

Nutritional supplements can either help or flare up your autoimmunity based on an individual’s T-helper dominance (whether you have a TH-1 or TH-2 dominance). Supplements such as echinacea, green tea, acai, astragalus, licorice, and a variety others can either help or aggravate autoimmunity depending on your dominance. If you are unaware of this you may be taking supplements that promote an autoimmune response. Please refer to Chapter Three of my thyroid book, Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal for more information and lists of supplements and herbs to be aware of.

Immune Reacting Fillers in Thyroid Hormone Replacement

Many thyroid supplements use corn starch or modified food starch that contains gluten. You need to make sure your thyroid hormones are gluten-free and free of corn starch if you react to corn. If your medication is in capsules make sure the capsules are gluten-free. Otherwise you could be taking hormones every day with dietary proteins that stimulate your autoimmunity.

Ignoring their brain health

The most common form of collateral damage in chronic Hashimoto’s patients is accelerated brain degeneration. Brain degeneration leads to identical symptoms of hypothyroidism, including fatigue and depression. I strongly suggest all thyroid patients become experts in identifying and supporting their brain health by referring to my second book, Why Isn’t My Brain Working?

http://hypothyroidmom.com/10-reasons-why-hashimotos-patients-dont-get-better/

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a tanked thyroid?

Keep skipping meals and fasting and you can get one, especially if you have Hashimotos. 

Constantly skipping breakfast and missing meals will aggravate your autoimmune response and promote autoimmune flare-ups.

Hashimotos is nothing to mess around with. The body is in the process of attacking and destroying the thyroid gland. Piece by piece and cell by cell, the body destroys the thyroid as if it's the enemy.

If nothing is done to calm down the autoimmune attack on your thyroid gland, the risks are high that your immune system will then begin attacking other parts of your body. Dr. Gerald Mullin from Johns Hopkins says statistically somebody with an autoimmune disease is at risk of a total of 7 autoimmune diseases in his or her lifetime.

Type 1 Diabetes

Multiple Sclerosis

Celiac Disease

Addison’s Disease

Cushing’s Disease

Alopecia Areata

Sjögren’s Syndrome

Autoimmune Urticaria

Ménière’s disease

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Pernicious Anemia

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Raynaud’s disease

Sarcoidosis

Scleroderma

Vitiligo

Psoriasis

Got a tanked thyroid? Got diabetes?

Think self-induced starving is going to help either one of these conditions?  Think again.  

The collateral damage from one or both of these conditions is accelerated degeneration of your body and brain. 

Food can change your life.  It has to be the right food in the right amounts. You're not going to get better with jelly beans and gummy bears.

You're not going to get better by living on bakery items, or letting taco chips rain down upon you or potato chips sweep you off your feet.

You know the drill. Honor your hunger. 

Eat yourself well and your inner and outer beauty will take care of themselves. 

Got a tanked thyroid? Got diabetes?

Go to Europe and travel along the highways and biways.

You can become who you want to be.  A much healthier version of you.

Paleo americans assume when in Rome - eating like the Romans do that you're living on multi-crap.  Aaaaahh, Felicias, that would be imaginary.

Authentic Italians don't live like that.  They do not live on pasta and pizza in Pisa.  They eat fresh foods in real quantities. Fish, fish, fish and much fresh vege.  I've roamed around Rome, Florence, Venice, Pisa, Siena and the Tuscan countryside. 

I stayed with a family in Venice and ate tripe with the tribe. I've walked the Appian way.  I didn't see the natives eating like we assume they do here.  Nuh huh.

Sure, there's more tourist joints now and they're probably serving them want they want. Pasta and gelato.  The real folkaronies don't eat like that.

There's a reason they're far healthier and live longer than we do, they don't eat multi-crap.  They don't bring the offenders home. It's as simple as that. 

You've got to get off the beaten path if you want to see how the other half lives.   From the minute I hit the Shannon airport in Ireland, my body started going through some major changes.

Remember, I'd been living on gummy bears and chocolate covered orange gummies and raspberry filled donuts and chocolate milk. Your basic horsesheet way of living and tanked UP continually on multi-crap. 

When my palate began eating fish, fish, fish and fresh vege, real oatmeal (not highly manufactured instant kind) and real everything....OMG, my body was in shock.

I did get sick the first week. Very sick.  I came down with pneumonia because my lungs were not used to the humidity and cold.  I could not get warm and the sheets seemed like they were wet and thrown on directly out of the washing machine.   It was a huge change.  A dr. gave me some AB's and I just kept tooling along.

I ate like the natives and tried to stay off the beaten path.  I did not wanted to think and eat in the way that pesky tourists normally do and want.   It wasn't difficult, it just takes a mind reset when you step off the bus.

I traveled all around and through Ireland but I did not go to the northern regions.  I went on down through the countries and eventually made my way home from Spain.

I tell you true.  I did not undo my positive side effects of  touring and traveling until I flew home from Spain. It was there that I found fried foods. It was EVOO and all.... but it was fried. 

Had I left all of the deep, country fried foods alone my positive side effects would have been apparent when I hit my home airport.  Oooo, but I know much more than I knew then. 

I didn't eat a single gummy bear while I was gone and it was months.  My body and thinking had changed.  I had a mind reset but I let it all come undone, again, by eating highly engineered to craved foods and finely tuned snacks.

I went back to the well and dug a much deeper hole.  I stayed in there for a long, long time before I could see the Light.

Now, I'm not going back there. Again.  

That's what all of this is about.  I'm going back to a time when I felt Oooooo, soooo good and yet, I'm somewhere in the future and I look much better than I look right now.

That's what I said to myself when I started 3 years ago.  I'm somewhere in the future and I look and feel much better than I do right now.

It keeps me going because there is no such thing as the Finish Line with your overall health and well-being.  You throw it all away and you may not ever get another chance to do it all over again.

Don't throw the book or the scale at me.  looser crazy rabbit

You've got to be hail bent on putting the scale in its place.

Reverse engineer your thinking about your weight and the scale.

Start thinking in reverse.  Don't log your Beginning Measurements and your Starting Weight. 

Leave them in the dust.  

No one told me how to this, I figured it out all on my own. 

You are no longer bound to the past. Wipe the slate clean. 

If you're always starting over and over and over again with your beginning measurements and Before Belly Selfie, your mind is hail bent on taking you right back to that Starting Weight and Beginning Measurements.

Your body and mind think that's what you want because you're constantly dwelling on the Starting Gate, the Beginning.  It will see to it that you stay there for the rest of your life.

Reverse engineer your thinking.

If your Starting Point is always the focus, that becomes the carrot in front of your nose leading you right back down the same old rabbit hole.

You're going to have to do exactly the opposite of what you've always done to get the results you've always wanted.

Keep doing what you've always done and you will get what you've always gotten.

To hail with the Starting Weight and Before Belly Selfie.  

Those are data points in the past and if you want them gone, they cannot be your focus.

The Before everything...you don't want to live there anymore. Wipe that slate clean.  Right now.

Do everything differently.

If you don't want another big flop on your hands, throw away your before pix and measurements. 

Take a leap of faith.  happiness crazy rabbit

Three years ago, I duct taped the counterweights on my doctor scale. Regardless of temptation to scale hop and eventually I no longer gave a rat's arse about it, there were no results to look at.

I just kept going and going like the energizer bunny and eventually I reached my optimum setpoint without any focus on my past measurements or starting weight.

I'm telling you.  There is a way without weigh and whey.

Reverse the curse of the scale in your life. Reverse the curse of the past. You're not living there anymore.

You're going to do exactly the opposite of all your past "dieting" training and this time.....you will make it.

I put down my rabbit foot of approval on it.

dancing crazy rabbit

Wheat withdrawal is a real kick in the hiney. That's most likely due to the gliadin protein which is the opiate of wheat. It's going to take more than several days to make it though that process.

Even sprouted bread can bring the mess right back on your doorstep. Oooo and that trendy multi-crap cereal will, too. 

It's not just gluten that causes sinus and throat problems, it's wheat. It's often left up to the individual to figure these things out.  Without eliminating them, how would you ever know.

Fair weather friends, Romans and countrymen, lend me your ears. Listen to Jim here.

"Gliadin protein triggered intestinal permeability–the entry of foreign substances into the bloodstream that initiates the diseases of autoimmunity all begin silently.

“Go wheat-free for 4 weeks. If you feel no better, you can go back to it.”

While consumption of modern wheat can indeed yield health conditions with overt symptoms, such as joint pain, skin rashes, and pain and irritable bowel syndrome,  many of its effects are silent and do not result in any perceived symptoms.

The changes that underlie autoimmunity, for instance, that lead to multiple sclerosis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune hepatitis, autoimmune pancreatitis, pancreatic beta cell destruction leading to type 1 diabetes, and other conditions all develop silently, brewing beneath your perceptions, without your knowledge, until you develop the joint swelling, pain, and disfigurement of rheumatoid arthritis or the abdominal pain of pancreatitis.

Changes in bowel flora–A shift away from healthy lactobacillus and bifidobacteria species, for instance, occur without your knowledge.

High blood sugars–the amylopectin A of wheat and related grains is responsible for sky-high blood sugars that exceed the blood sugars, gram for gram, that result from table sugar. This, in turn, triggers all the silent phenomena of glycation, i.e., glucose-modification of proteins, that leads to cataracts, hypertension, coronary disease, peripheral vascular disease, skin aging, kidney damage, cancer, and dementia.

Digestive disruption–Wheat germ agglutinin is a potent blocker of the intestinal signal hormone, cholecystokinin, or CCK, that signals the gallbladder to release bile and the pancreas to release pancreatic enzyme. This allows “bile stasis” that cultivates gallstones, incomplete digestion of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates that may not cause symptoms but results in undesirable changes in bowel flora and impaired nutrient absorption.

Blocked absorption of iron, zinc, vitamin B12, and magnesium–The phytates of wheat and related grains block up to 90% of the absorption of these cations (positively-charged ions), all without your awareness. Vitamin B12 absorption is blocked at several steps in its complex absorption, including disruption of parietal cells of the stomach and the intrinsic factor required for absorption–none of which you will know.

Mood and emotions–Though not truly silent, many people fail to attribute their depression, paranoia, irritability, anxiety, difficulty with concentration, and impaired memory with wheat consumption.

There’s more, but you get the idea. Wheat is a silent killer and a silent disrupter of health, in addition to causing myriad overt symptoms of health disruption. The silent and destructive effects of wheat and related grains can wreak all manner of destructive health effects. Silence in this instance is certainly not golden."

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2014/08/wheat-ticking-time-bomb/

The number of times I've fallen into bowls of corn bread, pan bread, bread bread and other people's bread and stale bread and bread I was supposed to give to the ducks but I ate it myself because if reminded me of croutons...

Well, we just don't have the time.

I used to eat toast and bowls of cereal with my girlfriends while we watched videos. My belly would swell UP like a toad. We would swill bowls of cereal, eating entire boxes in one sitting and go through bags of sourdough rolls that were warmed in the oven, slathered with butter. When I would go home,  I was bouncing down the streets like the stay puft marshmallow man.

Related image

Do you know how quickly it can all come undone. A few boxes of cereal and bags of sourdough rolls is more than enough to make for another rough withdrawal and recovery cycle.  

When I have all kinds of these items around the house, looking all cute and adorable because others are still eating wheat, I have to deal with the mind warp. Triggers can throw you for a loop.  

I pull myself back from the brink and rejoin the living. Falling into much bread and HFCS was my life but climbing out was transcendent. 

The good ole days weren't so good, do you remember how crummy you felt when you ate bowls of raisin bran, the impact of your belly swelling like a balloon. It kept rising and it wasn't your MoJo Risin', it was sheer misery.  I remember and I'm not going back to that. 

Every fiber of your being doesn't want you to give up sugar or wheat. It's all wery, wery qwiet in the evenings because everyone has fallen asleep or they're out hunting wabbits. 

If there's anyone out there being suxed under a tidal wave of food cues, cravings and pressure - Urge Surf. Get your full tilt boogie board out and remember that tomorrow is another day.

Go to bed early and maybe you'll have a W30 dream. The other night I had one. I was standing in front of a large standing fan, backed up to it and let it cut my hair for me. My hair was twirling around in the fan, cut perfectly straight with hair flying everywhere. It was a great invention.   

Image result for photo edward scissorhands meme cutting hair

Went to a garden party
To reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories
And play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, 
They all knew my name
No one recognized me,
I didn't look the same
But it's alright now,
I learned my lesson well.
You see, you can't please everyone
So you've got to please yourself.

Your old haunts may no longer serve you. Old ways of thinking and doing - won't work anymore. In the midnight hours when no one else is around, you have to keep maintaining your boundaries and staying in your own lane.
If I'm being pushed against the wall by food cues everywhere I look, I watch wheat belly videos when I need a booster shot. I bolster my food addiction recovery and positive food management plan. I jackhammer my way back home from the brink.
I stay in my own lane and maintain my boundaries. You see, you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.The true essence of the grape is revealed when it's squeezed in a vice grip.
I wake up and joy comes in the morning.
There will be times when the body and brain will try to lull you back into a deep slumber, falling back into eating in the unconscious mode. It's a trick and you've got to master that artform of self-deception.

Went to a ww garden party. They were sharing old fave recipes and trix of the trade. One is taking a cake mix and adding jellied/candied fruits to it and making individual fruitcakes.

I'm fruitcake nutty for fruitcakes because of that jellied fruit. I used to live on HFCS jellied fruit. It was my main food group.  Propping UP a sugar dragon, aahhhh, hails bells, it was the gateway to hail.

The old me would've jumped on this like a duck on a junebug. The new me now finds this a foreign way of speaking. 

When I go back to the well and pull the dross out of my head   cavity search smiley

I ponder gmo roundup ready bread. We can't duplicate ancient grains and grasses because we're not living in that old world climate or pristine environment.

Our Garden of Eaten' is filled with sugary sharky waters and tidal waves of multi-crap as far as the eye can see. It's not just gluten, it's wheat. Amber waves of grain ain't what they used to be and gluten free doesn't solve any of those problems.

Gluten free products are filled with rice, tapioca and cornstarch and those jack your blood sugar UP just like sugar of every kind.

Being gluten free and still eating wheat doesn't mean much in the big picture. It's an imaginary workaround and temporary fix.  Another bandaid for the bigger issue.

Does your heart race when you eat wheat. Even gluten free oats raise your blood sugar and a horse can founder on them.  cowboy 1 smiley

I don't bounce in and out of my positive food management plan. It wouldn't work for me and it never did.

When you look back upon your life, can you count the number of times you've had actual food and weight stability?

Can you count them on less than one hand.

Houston. Felicias. The handwriting is on the wall.

You have to go back and pull all of the roots out or your history will repeat itself.

I have no intention of starting over again. In my adulthood, I can count only 3 times I've had weight and food stability. 

This is #3.

Finding your pathway to healing is not a burden. It is a blessing.

I talk myself back down from the brink and sometimes I scare the hail out of myself, I have to. 

Can't fool myself realism is not overrated. I'm not blowing smoke. I don't want to founder on gmo roundup ready grains or let them mess with my brain and pancreas and adrenals and heart and joints and muscles and blood sugar and feet.

Binge Eating and Type 2 Diabetes

According to the American Diabetes Association , type 2 diabetes is the most common form of this disease.

Many people may not even know they are at risk. An individual who engages in unhealthy habits because of an eating disorder, for instance binge eating, may not know that there is a direct correlation between type 2 diabetes and bingeing.

Women Who Engage in Binge Eating Have a Higher Rate of Type 2 Diabetes

One of the main differences between binge eating disorder and other eating disorders is the likelihood of gaining weight. The eating disorder bulimia nervosa is marked by binge eating, however, individuals who manifest this particular disorder will purge the additional intake of food in a variety of unhealthy ways. Individuals who suffer from anorexia nervosa have an aversion to food and tend to eat far less than they should to maintain a healthy body weight. 

Binge eating disorder  is marked by the exorbitant consumption of food without purging. Some individuals who suffer from binge eating disorder will develop obesity as a result of the amount of food consumed. According to the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center , no one knows precisely what causes diabetes, although researchers have discovered that it can be connected to obesity.

When I got to the garden party, 
They all knew my name
No one recognized me,
I didn't look the same
But it's alright now,
I learned my lesson well.
You see, you can't please everyone
So you've got to please yourself.

In the first 15 days of my W30, I thought weight loss was important.  I no longer think that way.  The pounds lost may wax and wane.  In the first week, it may simply be water weight.  All of that can return by Day 30 or Day 45.

Body compositions and structures vary from person to person.  Insulin resistance and other factors can fight with you like a barracuda.  My digital scale was a farce.  I couldn't get a straight answer out of it ..two times in a row.  I threw it in the trash.

It may take a year before metabolisms start running like a finely tuned machine.  Slow and steady wins this battle.  After 4 months...what's in my head is more important than what shows up on a scale.  I'm not measuring any success by the numbers.

I don't count my steps, calories or chart weight ups and downs.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the muscle mass I've gained.  I continue to marvel at what patience and consistent persistence will do for any person.

Never count yourself out.... even when you're down for the count. You may be knocked down temporily but pick up the pieces.

Seize the moment and declare loudly in the face of opposition....Don't Count Me Out!

Keep your WHY closeby. 

Binge Eating and Diabetes are directly related.

Which comes first.

Binge Eating or Diabetes.

Are you born with binge eating and diabetes. Genetics, environment, chemistry - being driven by the appetite control center that resides in the brain.

Can you really get rid of Binge Eating Disorder for good.

Do you get rid of diabetes for once and for all.

You can recover but I don't know if you can get rid of it for good.

You can manage it - but it will take the rest of your life to live in the conscious eating mode, day by day and month by month.

Individuals who suffer from anorexia nervosa have an aversion to food and tend to eat far less than they should to maintain a healthy body weight. 

Are you born with anorexia and having an aversion to food, eating far less than the binge eater?

You can recover from anorexia but it takes living and eating in the conscious mode for the rest of your life.  Day by day and month by month.

You can recover from addiction and eating disorders.

You can replace old habits with new ones. 

You can learn to manage your life and overcome but does that mean your past history can no longer come around to bite you in the hindend?

No. 

I've been in a food addiction recovery program for almost 3 years now. I have a grand doctor who runs a large rehab joint.  He's not some quack or someone who stuck a shingle out on the side of an office.

Some are sent.

And some just went.

Some are called to the profession, any profession and it takes wisdom and discernment to know the difference.  

Archived