Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/diet-sodas-raise-risk-dementia-stroke-study-finds-n749051

Released today, Thursday. Drinking diet pop increases the risk of stroke and dementia within the next 10 years...compared to those who do not drink it.

People who drink diet sodas on a daily basis have 3 X the risk of stroke and dementia compared to those who only drink one diet soda a week.

Both sugar sweetened and artificially sweetened soda pops are hard on the brain. Women who drink diet soda have a higher risk of strokes and heart attacks.

Another reason to swill LaCroix. 

LAC-Flavor-Detail-Images-Apricot-330X310.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drinking juicy juices and fruit juices, didn't fare much better than the diet sodas. The side effects are accelerated brain (DNA) aging, overall smaller brain volumes, poorer memory functions, smaller hippocampus for memory consolidation.

Drinking diet soda, fruit juice sodas, juicy juices age your face by decades. It will make your teeth fall out, too.  black eye1 smiley

coconut%2Bwater.png

Drinking diet sodas ages your skin just like smoking does, looking 20 years older than you are. 

“The biggest problem about soda is the crazy amount of sugar,” Victor said. “The dangers of sugar to the body are not new, scientists have been studying it for years. When a patient consumes a lot of sugar, it shows in their skin.”

“I notice wrinkles, skin texture, oil content,” he said. “When you see somebody who is having a lot of sugar, their skin doesn’t look glowing or bright, it looks saggy and dull.”

Victor said the major problem of consuming soda is the inflammatory effect it has on the body.

“Soda is a factor in the aging process of the skin because it causes the body to produce all kinds of inflammatory products,” he said. “I compare it to Pac-Man, going around the body eating good tissue. Diet, and especially soda, greatly affects your skin.”

Many dark colas contain advanced glycation end products, or AGEs. A recent study from the National Institutes of Health (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23467327) determined that AGEs react with proteins, lipids and nucleic acids in almost all skin cells, contributing to and potentially accelerating skin aging.

In addition to sugar and AGEs, the caffeine found in soda can dehydrate the skin, emphasizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

Plus, soda may cause certain skin conditions to become more problematic.

“If you are drinking a lot of soda, you are starting a whole inflammatory cascade in the body, so if you have a skin condition you are exaggerating it,” Victor said. “Especially eczema, or very dry, itchy inflamed skin, and acne, specifically cystic acne.”

The visible effects of soda on the skin can even be compared to those of smoking. The side effects of sugar on the skin, including dullness, dryness and the decrease in skin cell production, coincide with the effects of nicotine.

“Soda causes damage to the skin just like smoking,” Victor said. “Just like sugar, nicotine causes inflammation. Whether you are drinking or smoking chemicals, it’s hard on the body to fight them.”

“Cutting out sugary drinks and replacing them with water definitely produces a visible change in the health of the skin, in a very short amount of time,” he said. “If you can reduce the amount of soda you drink, you will start looking better and your skin will look better.”

LAC-1200X1200-SPARKLING-CUCUMBER-LIMEADE.png

Swilling LaCroix

Observe when mother earth is dry

She drinks LaCroix falling from the sky

And when the dewey cordial gives

To every thirsty plant that lives

And when the rosy sun appears

He drinks the ocean's misty tears

Then hence with all your sober thinking

Since nature's holiest law is drinking

I'll make the laws of nature mine

And pledge the Universe to swill LaCroix, not wine

Thomas Moore-ish 1827 

Tanning beds are 15 X more risky than sun exposure. They emit 15 X more UV radiation than the sun which damages cells enough for melanoma.

Skin cancer among tanning bed users is higher than lung cancer in smokers. 

Indoor tanning causes immunity suppression.

If you've been told that tanning beds give you Vitamin D...UVB from the sun produces Vitamin D but most tanning beds emit UVA radiation.

Just take it back outside for reasonable periods of time. 

Tanning beds cause 'tanorexia' an actual dependance on tanning beds for feel good endorphins. 

“In fact, people who have been exposed to radiation from indoor tanning are 59 percent more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.”

Reading your body cues and gut instincts you should not ignore.

It's not bragging if it's true. 

Empathy and sympathy for others is a basic human and animal instinct. Elk grieve for the loss of loved ones, we've watched it, many animals grieve. They have the ability to think and feel how others are feeling. 

Paw is a quick read of faces and emotional signals. Maw doesn't need verbalized cues either.

It's always a good idea to bounce your gut instincts off your rational mind and thinking. But there are many times you need to trust your snap judgments and decisions. 

You can read emotional signals in another's face almost instantly. You can detect whether a stranger is a friend or foe. That's called survival and we are bent on survival.

If you wouldn't pick up a hitchhiker along the roadside, why would you pick up an internet stranger and invite them into your home.  We wouldn't.  It's as simple as that. Why do they want in, surely they must have connections elsewhere and if they don't...why not.

If you're walking down the street at night and you have the gut feeling something isn't right, cross the street or get out of that situation. Now. 

Empathy for others provokes us to help others when they're in danger or just suffered a major loss in their life. Natural disasters and all manner of hardships. Empathy and kindness is good, just make sure you know who you're lavishing it on so you don't get taken to the cleaners. 

Older folkaronies freely give out all kinds of personal info over the phone and their bank accounts are cleaned out. Heartbreaking.

They've proven that giving to others makes all kinds of areas light UP in the brain.  Given the choice to keep it all for yourself or give unto others, giving is better than hoarding.

Olde golfers get the yips. They get much worse as the years go by because they are reflecting too much on what they are doing.

Overthinking it. Overresearching. Overanalyzing.

Too much careful thought about putts is a pain in the....

Good drivers use their instincts. Great cooks who start overthinking everything ruin their best dishes when they've invited company over for dinner.

Rational thought serves children as they're growing. Developing muscle memory.

But there comes a time in your life when overriding your instincts can mess with your performance or cause you to make some destructive or negative decisions. 

Trust your gut. Learn to trust your emotions and the ability to read faces and smoke signals. 

Trust your gut and not your head. Your head or mind will start talking you out of what you know to be true. Logical thinking and massive rationalization = Overthinking it. 

When your natural instinctive intuition or spirit cues you into what's right for you...

There is ease. No confusion. No forcing it. 

Your good plan comes together, effortlessly.

When you leave it to your instincts to do the job, it's like driving down the road for 100's of miles and you cannot remember how you got from point A to point B so peacefully. 

Your instincts were driving the car without a visegrip on the wheel. It almost seems like you were asleep at the wheel but you weren't. 

You were running on instinct. 

Choosing a vehicle or choosing a career. Both decisions can lead to overthinking and making decisions that are not right for you. 

Learning to trust your gut to make the big or small decisions in life is very satisfying.

You're going to have to go back to the well and pull all of the dross out of your head.  The logical overthinking and overanalyzing and overresearching everything that gets in your way.

You need to find relationships that reasonate with you rather than look good on paper. Connect with people on a heart level.

It it wasn't there at Hellooooo, you'd better trust that.

Be a watchman on the wall. 

http://superscholar.org/smartest-people-alive/

I want to be known for my tiney hiney and beautiful face said Einstein never. Or Judit or Ruth or Rosa P. or Harriet T.

The smartest people on the planet knew/know that their brains transcend physical and outward beauty. We live in a beauty and body obsessed culture.

Your value and self-worth is not measured by the size of your jeans or biceps, or your number on the scale.

Your worth is defined by how much you love and care for others. The most beautiful person in the room is the one who exudes love and kindness towards others. 

People are drawn like a magnet to that person.

Beauty is really a matter of the heart.

There is no one more beautiful than a child who's fighting for their life in the hospital. A child with disabilities is beautiful beyond compare.

The tiny child with a smile upon their face, fighting for their life is far more beautiful than a tiney hiney.

All children are beautiful and they say the most profound things.  They've not been biased through society's norms or limited in their thinking.

Seeing through the eyes of a child is a glimpse of heaven on earth.

Don't ruin your true beauty by holding yourself to such a high standard that unless you have an enormous thigh gap or -00 jeans that you begin to treat yourself like an object or machine rather than a human being.

A woman of strength and integrity has no fear of old age. When she speaks her words are wise and kindness is the rule for everything she says.  

Look for that beautiful person in the room, wherever you go.  

Come and listen to my story about a pal named Red

A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed

And then one day he was hunting for some food,

And out through the chute came a fast-food multitude

Oil that is, black gold, McDee, BK, Texas Tea

Well the first thing you know Ole Red's a millionaire,

The kinfolk said "Red move away from there"

Said Nashville is the place you ought to be

So they loaded UP the truck and they moved to Tennessee

Hills, that is, hillbillies, country music stars.

Well, now it's time to say goodbye to Red and all his kin.

And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin' in.

You're all invited back tomorrow to this locality

To have a heapin' helpin' of hospitality.

Hillbilly that is. Sit a spell. Take yur shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Are you having a hard time sleeping? There's a proven antidote for that. The Rx is take one episode of the Hillbillies or Andy of Mayberry before you go to bed. Andy's way gives you a peaceful easy feeling that all is well in the Universe.

Be soothed by Ole Floyd at the barber shop. Aunt Bee and Opie. Andy and Opie going down to the fishing pond, whistling a catchy diddie. 

Goober will fix your car in nothin' flat.  Otis gets looped all of the time but Otis is not using his car for a phone booth. No, Otis walks to the jailhouse and checks himself in.

Life is sooo good in Mayberry. Andy can still calm everyone's nerves and sing you to sleep. I recommend Mayberry and magnesium before your head hits the pillow. 

I watched the new History channel special about Tesla, Bell, Einstein and others.

They said these brilliant people were given dreams about their equations or their mind was sorting it all out for them while they were sleeping. Tesla, what a wild ride that must've been.

As I'm watching this, I can clearly see they were all using their heads besides something to part their ears with.

Did they come by it naturally or was that information downloaded. That's the mystery. 

I was equating it to my life and all of the Felicias out there.

These brains are given the answers to the Universe while other brains are being driven to food addiction or alcoholism or looking at themselves in the mirror but seeing distortions. 

Now, why, why, why...are they being given brilliant downloads at night while they're sleeping to solve their mysteries. We are each a Universe unto ourselves.

We're not asking for much.  Nooo, Felicias. We want the secret keys and answers for what makes each of us tick.

So where are those worthless food addiction downloads coming from. I want to know.  I have a good idea and it really gives me a big pinch. 

Those people were harnessing electricity and designing the power grid for crying outloud. Their inventions are still keeping us afloat.

Why haven't we received any new downloads in such a long time. We're still driving vehicles, many completely distracted while texting...why aren't we driving like the Jetsons, yet.

Think how much safer highways above ground would be. I used to dream all of the time about my vehicle being above the telephone poles, shooting down the highway to work.

Back to the downloads of information. From what I can tell, there have been chosen peoples who are willing receivers. Their brains are different. Einstein's brain was still young when he crossed over the great divide.

He liked to be silly on occasion and was curious about everything. I would say he was seeing the Universe through the eyes of a child. He thought differently because his filters were unique.

Have you ever watched Dr. Miami. He really enjoys being silly but he's brilliant. He knows that being silly and childlike is a stress relief valve. He lets all of the stress out and he's a genius in the operating room.

There's a difference between being "childish" and childlike. Childlike is always thinking of clever tactics for problem solving. No limitations.

I like to blather and foam at the mouth about all kinds of things but I try to stay on topic. Hardy har har.   big smile1 smiley

For those of us with a food addiction or food disorder or any kind of addiction, what's stopping us from getting those downloads we need in order to be set free. For good. Forever. 

Why do we hit the wall when faced with trickery triggers. Why are some brilliant at navigating through the sugary sharky waters and others of us have to work at it every day.

It seems patently unfair. We all have our dues in life to pay but come on, now. 

Where's Andy of Mayberry when you need him. I would like to sit on the front porch with Andy and ask him these questions. He could solve everything while Barney was running around working himself UP into some kind of confrontation. Aunt Bee was always in the kitchen, cooking, canning and putting good food on the table.  

Andy. Cool as a cucumber. Using psychology and life's lessons to solve every single problem.  He must've been getting downloads of information. His brain was different and unique.

There is a brain barrier that's stopping those downloads from getting through. Maybe Dr. Miami has the answers and he'll be able to get in there and Tear That Wall Down!

I want to know the why, why, whys and the answers. I wish Einstein was around so we could ask him. If we could break through the brain barriers, taking out the scratches in the records where we're stuck, removing the deep grooves...

Mayberry had it all.  The town drunk, the brain, the cook, the child, the school teacher and girlfriend, the booch makers (moonshiners) a slice of everything.

I'm waiting on a Chinook and a download. You have to replace a negative habit with a positive one. How long do you think it takes to tear those walls down. Remove those deep grooves in the brain. For good.

Standing out in electrical storms like Tesla or Franklin...is that the secret key and answer. That's really touch and go there. 

Image result for photos franklin electrical storm and kite

I have aunts that are my age because I have an enormous family. We're similar in every way and blood is thicker than water.

I visited with my favorite auntie today. I'm all jacked UP, she made me so darned happy. I can't wait to see her, it's been awhile.

We've been visiting and she's been following her own consistent positive food management plan. She was right on the cusp of full blown T2, too.

Why we wait for the prognostication of the dr., it's massive rationalization and denial.

Without scale hopping, she found out she's released 30 lbs and will continue to tool along her way. Consistently. 

We compared notes. Ooooo, brother. We're doing almost the same identical things.  No snacking whatsoever. Main meal at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Nothing after 6 pm.  

She's been snowed in and yet, it's all happening for her since January. Given our genetics and background, I'm so happy for her.

Consistency in everything we do works for us. It's the only thing that's kept me standing here since 2014.  I used to think it was a badge of honor to fly by the seat of my pants. I don't believe that anymore.

It doesn't matter what age you are. It's never too late to get your ducks in a row. There's always hope.

After all, tomorrow is another day.

Food Addiction is chronically rewarding yourself with food. It's not about the quality it's about the quantity. Binge eaters want that stuffed to the gills feeling, more than topped off to the point that it hurts.

You don't have to tell the binge eater to take time to eat. In the throes of food addiction, the binge eater is constantly thinking about food and what and where the next binge will be.

It's a release and until you can get yourself to the store or drive-thru, it can't happen soon enough. 

Telling the binge eater to eat foods they truly enjoy and take time to eat...

Eat as much as you want

Your body knows how much you want to eat

Pay attention to your food, enjoy it

Eat it if it tastes good and don't if you don't enjoy it

You'll get better and better and eating as much as you want and foods you enjoy and don't eat it if you don't enjoy it

And big servings of your favorite foods won't make you want to overeat, eat the entire big serving

That all sounds good on paper but I prefer can't fool myself realism.

The binge eater left their eating cues in the dirt a long time ago. After years and years of binge eating - what food cues. There may be few left.

Eating in the unconscious mode while you're doing absolutely everything...driving, working, celebrating or while you're all alone, the sky is not the limit.

Reinforcing all of the above is like telling the pie eating contest winner that they can slow down now. When you're the Champion of the Binge and someone tells you will get better at eating all the things - all the time - revisit them 10 years down the road.

Self-awareness, intuitive eating and being a really competent eater does not come naturally to the food addict or binge eater.

If it did, it would only take a few directions or one diet and you would be fixed. For life.

You don't have to tell the binge eater to eat, eat, eat because that is their factory setting.  It's not the original factory setting, it's the one that's gone haywire.

I believe you have to be one to truly understand what's going on inside of the binge eater's brain. The appetite control center is in the brain and not the stomach.

Those who've never had a problem with binge eating, I wish I had your brain chemistry.

Cheat Meals = Giving yourself permission to fall right back into binge eating.  Get rid of that saying. You will feel like you're cheating on your hugger or husband with more secret eating.

Planning to cheat ahead of time. Has that worked for you then?

Going on a cruise and planning on a whopping boatload of cheat meals, a vacation of cheat meals and eat, eat, eat. Giving yourself permission to do what you've always done.

If you cheat and eat "bad carbs" are you tempted to balance them back out with "good carbs"?

Do you eat four servings of salad to compensate for the pastries, pies, cookies and candy. Wash that cheat meal away and clean the palate. That's some unqualified freedom of a different shade.

In the beginning of a binge eater's life, the body will go along with the yo-yo game a few times but gradually it becomes less and less receptive until everything no longer works.  I mean everything.

This is where the destructive cycles of dieting and binge eating come in. Alternating back and forth with wild swings UP and down with your weight and moods and tudes. They make your life a living hail.

Looking back on your life, if you can count on less than 5 fingers the number of times you've found true stability with your food and weight and way of eating you must face the truth.

You've been running roughshod over your eating cues for so long now, they're all in the dust and the answers are blowing in the wind.

Constant dieting and then sliding back off the goose - backsliding and rebounding over the course of a lifetime will get you nowhere good.

When your compensatory measures no longer work for you with all of the cheat meals, your pancreas is becoming very sensitive to glucose.

The frequency and number of cheat meals are increasing. Thrill eating is your middle name. You become a dieting refugee.

Then someone comes along and tells you that you need to dial it down further. Reduce your food choices to two or three items, 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% good carb.

At what point are you going to be able to come back down from that temporary high and back into reality.

You think your natural balance will return after you've dialed your way of eating and life away.  It will age you quickly before your time.  

Constant deprivation and fasting and zero carb trains your body to conserve your energy even further.

When you make the switch from eating all the things to dialed down, it works temporarily.

Go back to normal portions and the body becomes very confused. It can take months and months and maybe even two or three years before your metabolism functions normally again.

After a cycle of super restriction, there will be rebound weight gain when you start eating normally again.

That's going to take some serious suxing it UP, buttercup to allow your metabolism to rebuild itself.

Hoping for weight releasing? That's not happening until the metabolism is healed and knows that you're not going to put it through the paces of self-induced starving again.

It is going to take true grit. 

It is important to persevere and be very, very patient.

When you goooo ooooo soooo slowly the weight will come off and stay off and you will not gain it back by sliding back off the goose and rebounding with every single pound within a year's time.

This will work for you but don't let anyone talk you into dialing it down further.  You have to be strong and motivated to keep riding your wave.

Respect yourself.

Respect your body's pace and work with it. 

There is a way to enjoy your life to the fullest again but going at a snail's pace...you're going to find yourself alone because no one and I mean no one can do it for you.

And that is what this is about.  I knew it was going to be a rodeo but if you'd told me in 2014, that it would take this long to retrain my brain, I would've laughed.

Keep your sense of humor but just know it's going to take alot longer than you might think.

While milling around and shooting the breeze with the Universe, I have a question.

Is it possible to fully recover from food addiction or any kind of addiction?

You can manage it but are you fully recovered, 100%.

The hardest part of recovery is choosing every single day to be free of everything that is holding you back. 

The normal recovery is any recovery you are in.

Keep motivating. Keep working it. Keep trusting your innermost being. 

Heaven has your back. Today. Tomorrow. Forever. 

When recovery treatment begins for the food addict, they are separated from primary binge foods.

The first change is having the physical cravings lessened to the point they are no longer overpowering.

Long-term success, the mind of the food addict begins to change in remarkable ways. 

Where once they believed their own rationalizations about food, food addiction recovery helps the food addict see past distorted thinking.

Those who could never imagine living a day without being drunk on sugar, bread, pasta, desserts start to see self-destructive internal messages.

The food addict who believed they had to eat foods to make their life a living hail begins to change that perspective.

The food addict who lived most of their adult life being accustomed to being drunk on sugar,flour and unhealthy fats breaks the grip of food addiction on their mind and sees the possibility of telling and believing the truth..

You can't fix a broken brain with a broken brain.

The recovering food addict has a new normal.

You may never be able to eat like your old normal. Falling back into your old normal will bring food addiction right back to your doorstep.

Choices and consequences.

The Law of Addiction.

Administration of a substance to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance.

Former smokers and alcoholics. Almost instantly.

Everything in moderation for the food addict can end up in a total relapse.

How do you moderate deliberately engineered to be craved foods. When you throw diabetes into that mix and a pancreas that can no longer handle insulin excursions, you've got to make permanent changes.

The pros and cons of recovery.

Keep your WHY nearby.

Remember when you were eating all the things in the unconscious mode.  Your brain and body did not help you out one iota or stop that process at any point. The thrill eating went on for months and months and not one single time did they step in and help you out. 

That's why I call them a couple of nitwits.

Can I trust them now?  No.

I know given half a chance that they would do the same thing to me all over again. 

If you relapse often, you've got to find someone to help you.  Sit down with them.  Face-to-Face.

Relapsing for the 100th time tells you that your ways aren't working. Find health professionals and support groups to help you recover from this serious problem.

At this particular time, I can't say that full recovery is possible.

There's no such thing as a perfect recovery. I do know that keeping my WHY nearby has helped me, too.

Alot of things could've gotten in the way of recovery but I keep moving forward.

Food addiction doesn't resolve itself on its own. It gets stronger over time.

Happy Days - not all were happy, goodbye Joanie.

If you have a problem, find help NOW.

Food Drunk = Thrill Eating Bender

Being drunk on sugar, flour and fats - 3 main ingredients in any dessert or pastry or bakery item.

Can you get boozy on sugar? Yes.

I used to get plastered every day. I always felt drugged after eating massive amounts of sugar. Then I would lay down and sleep it off.

You can get drunk on food without a single drop of alcohol. Especially over the holidays.

I am allergic to HFCS. For real. I used to go over to my friend's house and eat all of their Christmas homemade caramels. We call them carmels. It's a HFCS concoction of HFCS, more sugar and sweetened condensed milk.

I could not quit. They were wrapped in wax paper and I would eat all of them. I would act nuttier than a fruitcake, sing at the top of my lungs, dance and act wildly happy. 

I would have to go home and sleep it off like Otis, the town drunk on Mayberry.  Throw myself across the bed and sleep it off for hours and hours.

I had compensatory measures, trying to clean my palate with salad and vegetables afterwards. Wipe that slate clean.

Clearing the decks with vegetables didn't last long and I'd be right back it. 

For my lunches, I ate raspberry filled donuts, dark chocolate covered orange jelly sticks and swilled entire quarts of chocolate milk to wash my lunch down.

That was my normal. 

For breakfast, I ate HFCS gummy bears with coffee and cream.

You think I want to go back to that?  Ahhhhh, hail nooo.

I've been on some major thrill eating benders. It's not bragging if it's true but I'm not bragging. 

That. Makes me really sad for myself.

Open. Mind. Insert. Possibilities.

Food Sober

After months or years of sugar abuse, the brain and body has learned to live with a consistent supply of sugar.

Your brain chemicals are all shuffled around. It's the same with alcohol, little difference. Everything is out of sync.

When you deprive the body and brain of sugar and/or alcohol, there's more wild swings UP and down.

These side effects can drive someone back to binge eating or binge drinking.

Going Cold Turkey can cause those with the best of intentions to throw in the towel because of acute withdrawal symptoms and side effects.

Making it through 1 year of being food sober and/or alcohol sober decreases the chance of a full blown relapse.

I knew that after seeking help for food addiction.

The chances of relapse are less than 50% for those who can make it through a year of being food/alcohol sober.

Those who can make it through 5 years of being food/alcohol sober the chances of relapse are approximately 15%.

Quitting drinking or binge eating outweighs every negative side effect from both of them.

Food and alcohol are everywhere.

Binge drinking is risky behavior and binge eating is, too.

Alcohol and food, when they crossover into fully vetted addiction - they rule your life.

They become the priority.

Recovery from addiction is not a road you have to travel alone. 

The first year of being food sober is the hardest. Your body and mind are going to shake, rattle and roll.

The food addict like the alcoholic makes a daily habit of seeking out the food substance/sugar or experiencing anxiety and irritation when they cannot.

Food becomes the priority and there's secret eating and/or drinking.  Others notice, yes, they do.

Only the bold ones speak up and let you know that all you've got on the brain is food and/or alcohol.

Without pulling the dross out of your head, there's massive rationalization and how far they've taken you down the rabbit hole.

Binge eating and binge drinking.  Both can ruin your life. Addiction = Addiction

I'm almost at the 3 year anniversary of being food sober. 

Food and alcohol addiction - both result in a fatty liver, high blood glucose levels, digestive problems, pancreas and heart issues, the sky is not the limit with the side effects.

The brain and mental state of well being is in the crapper, too. Food and alcohol abuse ain't pretty.

Addiction is very deceptive. It can't be solved with willpower and white knuckling it.

Archived