Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it's the total solar eclipse still at work. I've been watching the Juan de Fuca, New Madrid and Craton plates. I've felt some slight shaking while in couch mode. Shaken but not stirred.

Don't be scared. Be prepared.

The plates are continually moving. They laterally grind into one another at divergent plate boundaries. Move apart at convergent plate boundaries.

Ancient Cratons match up when they are brought together like a jigsaw puzzle.

topMap.eveday.png

We have snow in the high country. Some of the gates and roads are already closed. We noticed the leaves turning around mid-August. Very early.

Signs of a hard winter include insects marching in a straight line rather than meandering. They haven't got the time to mess around.

Squirrels are busy fortifying with massive nut gathering. The bees go into early seclusion.

Hornets building their nests close to the ground. Harbinger of cold, early winter.

Thicker acorn shells mean extra hard winter.

The crickets start chirping loudly. They're rubbing their lil wings together. Early arrival of crickets on the hearth means early winter on the earth.

Nature does nothing in vain.

When the crickets stop....winter starts.

We really are stuck in a time warp. I ran into a young buck world champion cowboy and he was listening to Glen Campbell. A tender shoot cowgirl told me that John Denver was still her favorite artist. I was relieved because no one worries about running with the pack or traveling with the herd out here in the sagebrush.

The wild, wild west isn't anything like she used to be. Working ranches and farms are being turned into dude ranches. I don't know who's going to manage the livestock or put grassfed beef and bison on your table. 

Those of us who've watched this happen don't take anything for granted. If multi-crap ever really hits the fan, the caretakers of this land, livestock and wildlife will be more relevant than ever before. These skill sets and abilities will be called upon.

History is written by the victors.

quote-Winston-Churchill-history-is-writt

My grandpaw spent his entire lifetime making sure his kids knew how to survive. This has been a year to remember and it's not over yet.

WWWD?  I've been thinking alot about him, lately.

https://www.winstonchurchill.org/the-life-of-churchill/life/churchill-leader-and-statesman

Winston Churchill’s chief attributes as a leader was his capability of inspiring people, regardless of circumstances.  The source of this inspiration was his own character.  Churchill perpetually demonstrated enthusiasm, determination, and optimism—if not at all times in private, then at least always in public. 

That's a breath of fresh air. A palate cleanser.

I'm making Extra Eggs. Food prepping makes me feel like I know what I'm doing with my life. Wake. Pray. Slay.

It's worth it to keep breaking the cycles of food addiction so you can heal.

Every fiber of your being doesn't want you to give up sugar. IF and self-induced starving only puts you deeper in the hole.

Set some much needed boundaries. Don't be fearful of pulling what you need from lots of different sources. I fall back on the wisdom of my elders. Don't just go on the hearsay of others. Learn to think and stand on your own two feet. Use your head besides something to part your ears with.

Truth is not the author of confusion. Everything around you is confusing... you're in the wrong place. Someone tells you stay inside of a place but your gut is in knots, get out of there.

That is all.

From the Whole-N-The-Wall.

Much Love. Tanto Amore.

I lurve Bruno.

Lab rats quickly develop a tolerance for sugar, eagerly quadrupling their daily sugar consumption in 1 week.

If the sugar’s taken away, the hunger for their fix is relentless and leads to withdrawal symptoms. They’ll start fighting with other rats, shaking and getting angry. Once the rats become addicted to sugar, they are far more eager to gobble up amphetamines, alcohol and cocaine in huge quantities—and they become almost instantly addicted to those substances as well.

When given the choice between sugar, cocaine and alcohol, those cross-addicted rats will always choose—you guessed it—sugar (Johnson & Kenny 2010).

"Exercise is the best healthy fix because it directly regenerates D2-like dopamine receptors—similar to those linked with food addiction—in the brain, helping to rebuild the damage of past addiction and prevent it in the future (MacRae et al. 1987).

And it doesn’t require a gym membership, an elliptical trainer or a set of barbells. It simply requires increasing activities of daily living. In fact, it’s been shown that a 5-minute walk around the block or 30 jumping jacks reduces the intensity of withdrawal symptoms."

In humans, there’s clear evidence that habitual consumption of calorie-dense hyperpalatables elicits changes in brain responses that mirror those that occur during drug addiction. And akin to drugs, these same foods are implicated in cravings and in the perception of loss of control (Pelchat 2002). Speaking of cravings, 95% of the foods humans most crave are, not surprisingly, calorie-dense. Why do we favor calorie-dense foods? It’s about survival. When food was scarce, ingesting calorie-dense foods gave us our optimal chance of surviving. That is not the case today."

General components of addiction

Salience –  When the addiction becomes the most important activity in the person’s life and dominates their thinking, preoccupations and cognitive distortions, feelings, cravings and behavior - deterioration of socialized  behavior.

Even if the person is not actually engaged in the behavior they will be thinking about the next time they will be.

Mood modification –  A consequence of engaging in the addiction  and a coping strategy they experience.

Withdrawal symptoms – Unpleasant feeling  and physical effects which occur when the addiction is discontinued or suddenly reduced.

Conflict –  Conflicts between the addict and those around them - job, social, interests.

Cross-addicted rats will always choose—sugar.  Those dirty rats.  I find you guilty.  Dirty eaters. ;)

Food Addiction is not about weight loss

Food Addiction is not about clean or dirty eating

Food Addiction is not about willpower

Food Addiction is about changing your biology

http://drmondo.org/weight-loss/too-much-change-too-darn-fast-why-people-who-lose-weight-gain-it-back/

Food Addiction Relapse with Rebound Weight Gain

Less than 5% of dieters can keep the weight off and that number who can keep off weight, is only 2% higher among weight loss surgery patients...that is less than 7% of weight loss surgery patients can keep off all of their weight for any amount of time.

Behind progress belly selfies and the great quick and fast weight loss success story is...

Encouragement.

Hope.

We, too, can achieve quick and fast weight loss results.

But what those stories don't mention is that only 5% of people who lose that quick and fast weight loss - keep that weight off after 5 years.

The body will fight like hail against you during those 5 years. Seeing to it that you rebound with every single pound.

Progress belly selfies won't fix it.

And another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.

How long has this been going on?

Well, your friends with their fancy persuasion

Don't admit that dieting and progress belly selfies

Are all a part of the scheme

But I can't help but have my suspicion

'Cause I ain't quite as dumb as I seem

When you look back over your life - can you count on less than 5 fingers the number of times that you've actually remained at your body's optimum setpoint?

That's the handwriting on the wall.  

How long has this been going on? How long have you been hacking your life into giant month hunks of dieting with relapsing and rebounding?

Your brain weight is higher than your dream weight.

Every inveterate dieter knows that working for a thigh gap and aiming for your double aught zero jeans will be fiendishly difficult to grasp and maintain.

Your ribs will have to show.  Not abs, rib bones. The side rib cage shot.

Starvation Alert! You've got bones and they are poking through your skin.

If you drop below your Brain Weight and your thigh gap appears - you will meet UP with the most powerful resistance you've ever encountered.

Your brain will give you the battle of your life. You can put your body through the paces with nonstop exercise, all night and day....

But the brain is going to pull the rug out from underneath you by becoming a driver.

A driving force that will tempt you and steer you towards every binge and quick-fix you've ever eaten. 

It will bring back to your remembrance - thrill eating.

A food high. One hit right after another until you've eaten it all back.

Aaaahhhhh, says the brain.  Boooooo, says the body.

Food addiction is a serious problem. It ruins lives.

The recovered smoker, alcoholic, gambler, shopper, food addict will not be able to return to the scene of their former addiction without risking becoming addicted again. Instantly.

One puff, one drink, one hit.

Relapse with all of the consequences that follow.

There's no such thing as the Finish Line with Addiction Recovery. Let your guard down and before you can say mini-mums and maxi-mums you've fallen back into full blown addiction.

The recovering food addict may not ever be able to return to former ways of eating.  Not for cheat meals and guilty pleasures, cheat weekends and cheat months.

Cheat years and Cheat decades.

Food Addiction is about changing your biology.

Recovery is about living longer and better.

Long enough to know that if don't sit down with someone...Face-To-Face and face food addiction head on it progresses with age. It does not go away on its own.

With every passing year that you make excuses and massive rationalization for food addiction the ground gets colder for recovery.

The fall equinox is here, technically on Friday. The earth's axis and rotation around the sun are powerful. EQ's increase at this time. Don't be scared. Be prepared. Have a plan if you live in an EQ zone. Moi.

Pressure transfers through the earth. I've been watching the seismos, the slow-slip - Juan de Fuca and others in my spare time. On Sept 22nd the sunlight shifts in favor of the southern hemisphere.

We've been on a wild roller-coaster ride since the total solar eclipse. Have a plan.   I care.  

I'm sleeping with one ear open to the ground and one eyeball on the ceiling fan. Remember, take shelter under your big dining room table. 

Much Love. Tanto Amore.

#1 Tool of Recovery for Food Addiction = Never go on another diet again 

I'm not starting over and over and over again

I sat down with someone Face-To-Face, legit and not from quackademia

Recovery = Food Sober

Remaining Food Sober is a vital part of Food Addiction Recovery

I used to store UP food in my closets like a squirrel. This is one of the best explanations I've ever read that defines what I did and others do.

http://whole9life.com/2011/02/my-mother-the-rodent/

For over 3 years, I've reread this. Often.

I've read all of the Whole 9 posts and Whole 30 manifestos while I've been tooling along the road to recovery.  I know where to find all of Tom D.'s greatest hits. I reread them, too.

Food addiction progresses. It does not go away.  It is a driver that ruins lives.

I go back to the well for support.  Those who are willing to do the research learn the most.

Food Addiction Recovery is all about learning to manage yourself.

Draw on your research, professional help and be willing to seek out what you need from many different sources. There's safety with a multitude of wise counsel.

Managing yourself.

We teach children how to learn by developing their skills and abilities. Children don't learn when you do everything for them.  It stunts their development and natural curiosity.  A parent that does everything for the child creates fear.  Fear of stepping out into the world and leaving the nest.

There have never been so many children still living at home over the age of 30 as there are now.  They may never leave home. 

Learn to learn.

Motivation is a gift. Don't take it for granted.

Learn how to motivate yourself and ride that wave. When you become beached, get back UP on your boogie board and do the Full Tilt Boogie. 

Your thank yous may not ever be forthcoming in this world. No one is going to thank you for learning to manage yourself or learning how to learn.

That's just the hard cold truth. Adulting it all the way.

Children have to learn how to do their homework. A parent who does all of the homework for them is not doing them any favors.

They can become dependent upon your willingness to do everything for them for the rest of their lives. 

I've worked with special needs children and they enjoy learning to learn, too.  Learning to love helping them learn is the most wonderful feeling and experience in the world.

Food Addiction Recovery is not about creating more distractions for yourself.  You have to replace old destructive habits with brand new positive ones.

That's what this has been all about. 

I created a positive food management plan. W30 was a huge part of my positive new habits that allowed me to manage and motivate myself. 

I made it.

The journey back home. 

How do you walk away from something that you've learned to love the most.  Why can't I. 

I'm not ready. 

Today is the fall equinox. The long shadows the sun is casting are falling lower in the sky.  The melodies of the summer are over.  Winter makes everyone so drowsy and it's good to make it home safely.

I have a program and a doctor that I sit down with...Face-To-Face for accountability and support.

I have a positive food management plan and I don't log my food because I know the drill.

I don't share what I do or where I go because you need to find your pathway to recovery.

Too long.

The Food Addict's greatest lifelong struggle will be fighting against Relapse.

The alcoholic has to give up drinking. For real.

No one leaves A.A. with the idea that they can continue to drink and call themselves sober.

Food Sober is everything. 

Recovery is my friend.  It brings me peace. I can manage my food and it doesn't manage me. 

Food Addiction affects every area of your life. In the midst of full blown addiction, it can kill your dreams. Rob you of your self-esteem and it becomes the center of your wheelhouse.  Food Addiction is a driver.  It will drive you right into the ground. A downward spiral.

I've used my W30 as one of my tools for recovery. I've only completed one compliant W30 on the first part of this journey in 2014.  I used my W30 as the launching pad for food addiction recovery.

I'm not starting over.  I don't need to.  

The weapons of mass destruction are brutal for food addiction. Any addiction.

Sliding back off the goose into a looser state of food  abstinence- food sober state happens when the pain of food addiction subsides.

This happens to addicts over and over and over again. Total Relapse. 

The body and mind are in cahoots with one another. They really don't care if you ever become Food Sober or any kind of sober. They are willing to give you the ride of your life.  The body wants what it wants and the mind is hailbent on helping it out.  Day after day. Year after year.

During my recovery, I've learned to stop brutally beating myself up by continuing to eat the food offenders I cannot manage.  

The 1st year is the most difficult.

Giving myself permission to continue eating them would not have led to my recovery.

Your pathway to recovery may be very different.

The Eating All The Things was the real-beating-myself- up that needed to STOP. 

Medicating myself with food did not bring me peace or comfort.

My highest surrender was the pinnacle of my life and at the time of the greatest pain.

When the pain subsides, sliding back off the goose with a Relapse can happen.

I don't want to be in those stats and those numbers that say less than 5% of the people on the face of the planet can maintain their Recovery.

So I fight and I PULL.  That's what this has been all about.  Recovery comes first so I don't have to continue to beat myself up with food.

You and I both know that I am ready to go. Blow through those doors like TNT. 

I've blathered, foamed, talked to myself. Did it help me?

Yes. It did.

I miss the friendship of everyone who used to be here. They're long gone.

Positive young grasshoppers all over this world are cut down in their youth with addiction of every kind. We look to our friends for support.

We appreciate them. Friends who rescue us, encourage us and help us fly again.  Good, good friends.

Goodbyes make me cry. I'll be swinging back in here from time to time, defending my pea patch. :D:D  I'll be reading the forum like others do.  

Archived