Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

They make it cheaper to buy “meals” than a la carte items.

enhanced-buzz-15893-1389209893-12.jpg

Studies have shown that people will eat significantly more when their meals have “variety” than when they consist of just one food. So a customer will consume more calories if their fried chicken comes with a side of mashed potatoes than if it just came with more chicken.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They know that seeing a food “can stimulate unplanned consumption” even when you’re not hungry.

They keep adding cheese.  “If every pizza included one more ounce of cheese, we would sell an additional 250 million pounds of cheese annually.”

Their restaurants are designed to make us eat too much too fast.

Everything about a fast food restaurant encourages us to clean our trays quicker than we normally would. The color red, the bright lighting, the clatter of noise, and the nonstop smells all make us think we’re hungrier and in more of a rush than we really are. (And as we all know by now, when we eat too fast, we eat too much.)

They remove walking from the eating experience.

The easier it is to get to our food, the more likely we are to eat it. While the drive thru meant we no longer had to get out of the car to get a burger, delivery means we don’t even have to leave the house.

They turned soda into a side dish.

Before Cokes were included in combo meals, most fast food customers didn’t buy them. But once they started grouping it with burgers and fries, soda sales skyrocketed. 

They get us while we’re young.

Because our eating habits start forming before we’ve even taken our first steps, what we eat as kids may determine what we consume as adults. So when fast food companies lure children in with toys, playgrounds, cartoon characters, and a very famous clown, they’re not just peddling meals. They’re creating lifetime customers.

"....whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Did you decide to add exercise to your Whole 30?

I can't stand going to the gym.  Let me say that another way,  I can't stand gyms at all.  There are rows of bicycles, treadmills, power plates and mirrors.

I cannot be a static bike Warrior.   Working up a sweat, looking in the mirrors, tight shorts and selfies. Then there's hitting the showers and listening to all of the lip-smacking while folks devour their protein bars and slurp their power drinks.

I gave all of my home exercise equipment away.   I was only using it to hang wet wool socks and coats on. I did lounge on it while watching movies, but looking at it always gave me a pinch.

I am not anti-exercise.

I had to find something that would consistently work for me....and tear down mental walls.

Go steady.

Rest when you need to.

Don't overdo in the noonday sun.

Hearing what works for others doesn't mean it will work for you.   You're in this for you.

It's easy to get carried away and push yourself too hard.

Whatever you do, make it fun.

Get a dog.

Get into music.

Bring a friend.

Go outdoors.

When winter blows in,  I will be dancing inside to really great music.

Do remember what you used to do as a child?   What were you consistently doing?   

I was always dancing in my room.  

rhubarb_ratterrier_mix_06.jpg_w450.jpg

To whittle your middle, grow tree trunks for legs. Muscular legs can help you fend off belly fat, according to a study from Japan. People with the most muscle mass on their legs had the least visceral fat—the dangerous kind that surrounds organs. Compared with smaller muscles, your leg muscles burn more fat before it can deposit around your organs, explains study author Michio Shimabukuro, M.D., Ph.D. 

hagy4.jpg

What can I do to make my Whole30+ as successful as possible?

"While you can’t control every circumstance you encounter during your 45/60/90 days, there are certain steps you can take to create an environment of success for yourself.  Mental preparation, careful planning and a willingness to be flexible are key to surviving your extended Whole30. 

Our advice: 

• "Get your head in the game before you start. List the various circumstances you might face during this time and come up with a plan for how to negotiate them. Include food options, how you might answer potential questions, and how you can get yourself out of the situation if you feel like you’re losing control.
  • Build a support system of people who know you well, and can help talk you through the tough times. They don’t have to be working the program with you, but they do need to understand how important this goal is to you. Take advantage of this often—don’t wait for a tough situation to reach out.
  • Know that there are going to be times when you just have to make it work. Give yourself permission to eat a meal made completely of disjointed ingredients, scope out some grab-and-go options at your local grocer for food on-the-fly, and don’t beat yourself up if a new recipe turns out to be a flop."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/08/whole30-plus/#sthash.PZy818jG.dpuf

Embrace your muscle mass and Tree Trunk Legs.

Have you noticed your muscle mass?

Leaving the scales behind takes the pressure off to be something you're not.  Unhealthy eating habits create an unhealthy body.

Embrace your natural body type.   Embrace Tree Trunk Legs, they're powerful.

Squats, lunges and crunches are not for everyone.   If you can walk, you can climb a hill.

Times change.  I remember when the body ideal was .... "Twig Legs".   You can still embrace your inner ballerina with Tree Trunk Legs.   They're extremely beneficial for your functionality and strength.

7712296-woman-running-in-forest-cross-co

I believe this is the secret to completing a successful Whole 30, 45, 60 or 90.

The will to complete your Whole 30 has to be greater than your desire to revert back to old unhealthy eating habits.   You have to choose and you're free to choose each and every day.

It begins with a thought.   Thoughts lead to impulses and actions.   If you don't squash that thought...you'll be acting upon it.   Commericals are geared  towards the way our brains operate.   Fast food places know how to make a lifelong customer out of you.

You can go through the motions for 30 days and your body still reaps the benefits.  Day 31 comes and if you're immediately drawn back to unhealthy, sugary fast foods....Houston, we have a problem.   Your head was not engaged on Day 1.

Your head is connected to your will to live.   What's stronger....the will to live or the will to remain a captive to every food that robs you of radiant health and joy.

If you are a sugar addict, it might be the daily dopamine hit that you're after.   The pleasure center in the brain is thrilled when you feed it sugar.

Daily bingeing on sugar repeatedly releases dopamine in the accumbens shell.

Abstract

Most drugs of abuse increase dopamine (DA) in the nucleus accumbens (NAc), and do so every time as a pharmacological response. Palatable food also releases accumbens-shell DA, but in naïve rats the effect can wane during a long meal and disappears with repetition. Under select dietary circumstances, sugar can have effects similar to a drug of abuse. Rats show signs of DA sensitization and opioid dependence when given intermittent access to sucrose, such as alterations in DA and mu-opioid receptors, cross-sensitization with amphetamine and alcohol, and behavioral and neurochemical signs of naloxone-precipitated withdrawal. The present experiment asks whether sucrose-dependent rats release DA each time they binge. We also predict that acetylcholine (ACh), which rises as the end of a meal, will be delayed in rats with intermittent access to sucrose. To create dependency, the experimental group (Daily Intermittent Sucrose) was maintained on a diet of 12-h food deprivation that extended 4 h into the dark, followed by 12-h access to a 10% sucrose solution and chow, daily, for 21 days. As the main result, these rats gradually increased their sucrose intake from 37 to 112 ml per day (from 13 to 20 ml in the first hour of access), and repeatedly increased extracellular DA to 130% of baseline as measured in the NAc shell by microdialysis during the first hour of sucrose access on day 1, day 2 and day 21. Three control groups failed to show a significant increase in extracellular DA on day 21: Sucrose only for 1 h on days 1 and 21 (Sucrose Twice), ad libitum access to sucrose and chow (Daily Ad libitum Sucrose), and intermittent chow instead of sucrose (Daily Intermittent Chow). Acetylcholine measured at the same time as DA, increased significantly toward the end and after each test meal in all groups. In the Daily Intermittent Sucrose group, the highest ACh levels (133%) occurred during the first sample after the sucrose meal ended. In summary, sucrose-dependent animals have a delayed ACh satiation response, drink more sucrose, and release more DA than sucrose- or binge-experienced, but non-dependent animals. These results suggest another neurochemical similarity between intermittent bingeing on sucrose and drugs of abuse: both can repeatedly increase extracellular DA in the NAc shell.

PMID:   15987666   [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

The Dopamine Connection

“I can’t get off the stuff.” “I need a hit.” “I’ve got to detox.” “Withdrawal is hell.” Fitness, nutrition and health professionals have heard this kind of addiction vernacular for years. However, we’re not talking about drugs, alcohol or cigarettes—this is about food. The big culprits are the hyperpalatablessugary, starchy, trans fatty and salty foods. Is there a relationship between food and addiction? Can food products hijack the reward system in much the same way as drugs? Yes, according to newly published data and a growing chorus of scientists.

Central to this burgeoning research is the role of dopamine, the neurotransmitter that

• signals when rewards are present;
  • motivates us to seek rewards;
  • promotes exploring and learning about rewards; and
  • maintains awareness about reward-related cues.

Cocaine and heroin target and hijack this reward system. So do appetite-controlling hormones, leading a growing number of researchers to consider obesity from the standpoint of addiction neuroscience (Dagher 2012).

"Lab rats with unlimited access to a high-fat, high-carbohydrate diet almost eat themselves to death. They’ll voluntarily walk across an electrified plate and endure painful shocks in order to get their junk food hit. In one study, when rats had access to high-fat, high-carbohydrate food for only 1 hour a day, they consumed 65% of their daily calories in one sitting, continuously gorging until the food was removed.

However, when the food disappeared they didn’t simply shrug their rodent shoulders and turn back to regular chow. Instead, they withdrew and curled up into a fetal position, soothing themselves with nervous hand-wringing, and becoming excessively twitchy and easily startled. They were hungry for their fix. Without it, they ended up with “the shakes” (Johnson & Kenny 2010).

Lab rats will quickly develop a tolerance for sugar, eagerly quadrupling their daily sugar consumption in 1 week. If the sugar’s taken away, the hunger for their fix is relentless and leads to withdrawal symptoms. They’ll start fighting with other rats, shaking and getting angry. Once the rats become addicted to sugar, they are far more eager to gobble up amphetamines, alcohol and cocaine in huge quantities—and they become almost instantly addicted to those substances as well. When given the choice between sugar, cocaine and alcohol, those cross-addicted rats will always choose—you guessed it—sugar (Johnson & Kenny 2010).

In humans, there’s clear evidence that habitual consumption of calorie-dense hyperpalatables elicits changes in brain responses that mirror those that occur during drug addiction. And akin to drugs, these same foods are implicated in cravings and in the perception of loss of control (Pelchat 2002). Speaking of cravings, 95% of the foods humans most crave are, not surprisingly, calorie-dense. Why do we favor calorie-dense foods? It’s about survival. When food was scarce, ingesting calorie-dense foods gave us our optimal chance of surviving. That is not the case today."

Archived