Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

I have a heart for the binger, closet dieter, and those with food disorders.   

When we try to hold onto the last vestige of love for the scale on a Whole 30 - we cannot have it both ways.

I see dieters secretly pretending that they're only here for the food reset.  Out of the abundance of their hearts, their mouths speak.  It's a fine, fine line to walk.

I did get rid of my digital scale.  It used to lie to me all of the time.  I couldn't even get a consistent reading two times in a row with new batteries.   Worthless.

It's been a very long time since I've mentioned or written the word scales or weight.

I learned quickly that this was not a weight loss program.  Understood and appreciated.

The Hartwigs have taken up the charge for dieting victims and I commend them.  The solutions for dieting punishment have been delivered by their books and blogs.

They have exposed the frailty and failings of bad food decisions.   They lead by example.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Reintroduction is a long-term process, not just a 1-day event. We encourage people to pay attention every time they eat an off-plan food, because sometimes the effects are cumulative (one meal of bread is no problem for me, three days of bread in a row is a huge problem); sometimes one food will affect you in ways others in the same food group won't (goat cheese= alien belly, parmesan cheese=no problem); and sometimes the effects are so subtle or psychological, you won't notice them at all until you've done two or three Whole30's and are more invested in and aware of the nuances of the program.

Remember, too, that your body builds up defense mechanisms against foods that irritate the gut. The mucosal lining gets thicker, the bacteria population changes, your immune system ramps up to deal with the troublemakers. These are all adaptations that may help you "get used to" the foods in question, but they're not healthy. If you have an immediate and serious reaction to a food you used to eat "without issue" during your reintroduction period, it's likely that your body has relaxed some of those defenses (because you've been without the trigger for 30 days), and now that you've reintroduced it, your body reacts quite strongly without those buffers. This doesn't mean your body "needs to get used to" the food--it means that without those secondary defenses, your body is quite strongly telling you, "No thank you." You would do well to listen to those signals.

We're planning on expanding our reintroduction guidelines in far more detail in our next project, but for now, feel free to modify the schedule as you see fit, and interpret the results as you see fit as well. We'll give you our best guidance, but ultimately how you choose to reintroduce foods (and whether you keep them in your diet after the program) is entirely up to you."

Best,

Melissa

"...we've written about the Whole30 with eating disorders before. You can see the series of articles here:http://whole9life.co...ting-disorder/. Refer specifically to "Sometimes It Is Hard" and "Whole30 Gone Bad."

Binging, even on Whole30 approved foods, is not healthy behavior, and I'm proud of you for recognizing that. It's possible that the restrictions of the Whole30 are not right for you now. Maybe feeling so "restricted" in the rules is leading to a rebound binge - only you know that. We've had folks who have used the Whole30 to fuel themselves on healthy foods such that they haven't needed to binge, and others for whom the rules were just too much for their brains to apply in a healthy fashion. You'll have to evaluate this for yourself, and decide whether the Whole30 exactly as written is too much for you right now.

You can also read "The Official End to my Whole30" by Camilla. She bailed mid-way through when she realized her Whole30 was no longer healthy. Perhaps a modification of our rules so that your brain is happier is the way to handle this.

Regardless, I encourage you to seek help for your behavior....... Talk to a trusted friend, a counselor, or a therapist to work through these issues, and try to arrive at a better place. I wish you the best of luck."

Sincerely,
Melissa 

STEP TWO: REINTRODUCTION

The reintroduction portion of the Whole30 is critical to the learning experience. Over the next ten days, you’ll slowly, carefully, systematically reintroduce some of the off-plan foods you’ve been missing, and evaluate how they make you feel in the context of a healthier relationship with food, metabolism, digestive tract, and immune system. 

The Reintroduction Plan

You’ll reintroduce “less healthy” foods back into your diet one group at a time, while keeping the rest of your diet as Whole30-clean as possible. Think about it like a scientific trial, where your Whole30 is the control and the one food group you are trying to evaluate is the experimental group.

This means you’ll have to plan carefully, and not combine major food groups during your reintroduction period. For example, don’t eat a slice of toast with peanut butter, because how will you know whether it was the peanuts or the bread that made your joints ache? Do your best to reintroduce each designated food group (as outlined below) alone on your reintroduction day.

Yes, you’ll likely get some added sugar in many of your “experimental” foods—that’s really hard to avoid.If you do choose a reintroduction food with lots of sugar—say, a Starbucks grande Caramel Frappuccino (with a whopping 64 grams!) with whole milk—you’ll have to deal with the dairy  + sugar consequences all at once. Chances are, however, you’ll know intuitively what to attribute to which ingredient—digestive issues are generally dairy-driven, while energy fluctuations, cravings, and mood swings are probably sugar-related. However, some side effects, like skin breakouts, may be the result of the sugar, or the dairy, or the combination of both.

We encourage you to continue to increase your awareness of how the foods you eat are affecting you even after your Whole30 and reintroduction are over. By paying attention every time you eat a non-Whole30 food in the months to come, you can learn even more about how your body reacts to certain foods or ingredients—and continue to make more informed decisions about which foods you deem are truly “worth it.”

Reminder: If you don’t miss a particular food or drink that you know makes you less healthy, don’t bother to reintroduce it. Not missing tofu, black beans, cottage cheese, or brown rice? With evidence pointing towards these foods making you less healthy, there’s no reason whatsoever to add them back into your diet. Only reintroduce those foods that you suspect you’ll really want to include back into your diet once in a while, and leave the rest happily behind.

Sample Schedule

Here is a sample 10-day reintroduction schedule. Feel free to alter your particular food choices to suit your needs.

Day 1: Evaluate legumes, while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant. Try some peanut butter on your green apple with breakfast, a bowl of miso soup at lunch, and a side of black beans with dinner, while paying attention to how you feel. Then, go back to the Whole30 for the next two days, and see how things go. Pay attention, evaluate and decide how, how often and how much to incorporate legumes into your regular diet—if at all.

Day 4: Evaluate non-gluten grains*, while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant.  Eat a serving of white rice, some corn tortilla chips, and a slice of gluten-free bread, while paying attention to how you feel. Then, return to the Whole30 for the next two days, and see how things go. Pay attention, evaluate and decide how, how often and how much to incorporate non-gluten grains into your regular diet—if at all. *Corn, rice, certified gluten-free oats, quinoa, etc.

Day 7: Evaluate dairywhile keeping the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant. Have yogurt in the morning, some cheese in the afternoon, and ice cream after dinner, while paying attention to how you feel. Then, return to the Whole30 for the next two days, and see how things go. Pay attention, evaluate and decide how, how often and how much to incorporate dairy into your regular diet—if at all.

Day 10: Evaluate gluten-containing grains*, while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant.  Gluten is such nasty stuff that we want to break it out from the other grains, so you can evaluate it all by itself. Over the course of your day, eat a muffin, two slices of whole wheat bread, and a side of whole wheat pasta, while paying attention to how you feel. Then, return to the Whole30 for the next two days, and see how things go. Pay attention, evaluate and decide how, how often and how much to incorporate gluten grains into your regular diet—if at all. *Anything made from wheat, rye, or barley.

Take Action!

Complete your Whole30 reintroduction

- See more at: http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/#sthash.CujypUZ0.dpuf

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5048 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

There is enough diversity in the fish world and enough ways to prepare fish to do 30-days in a row with fish as your protein source. You can get different experiences roasting fish, stewing them in marinara sauce, stewing them in coconut milk. You can do tuna salad, salmon salad, herring salad, smoked kippers, sardines, crab salad, octopus salad. The key is not to try to live on a handful of recipes, but to live on at least 30 different recipes. And really, you can probably find 90 different recipes based upon fish if you put your mind to it. 

By the way, if you consume foods rich in selenium, you have nothing to worry about regarding mercury in fish. Many fish are high in selenium. Personally, I eat 2 brazil nuts per day as a selenium supplement just in case I ate fish low in selenium.

It's important to give back.

We're all a family on this earth and we need to take care of one another.

Homeless people don't leave homeless people behind.  When they lose their way...they start walking.

We have childhood hunger in America.  There are several sponsored campaigns that are making a difference in the lives of hungry kids.

Almost every town has a local clothes closet that would be grateful for more volunteers.   They wash clothes that have been donated, iron or fold them for others.  There are food pantries that need their shelves stocked and kept tidy.

If we find time for our extended family, there's less room in our thoughts for food in ways that rule and consume our lives.

no_photo_10.jpg     pet_food_pantry.jpg

yorkville-pantry-537x317.jpg

foodbank_gallery_full_export.jpg

Book-Storage-Kids-Small-Spaces.jpg

Homeless shelters need laundry detergent, toothpaste, shaving kits and other essentials.

The money we're saving from not buying junk foods can be donated to others for healthy foods.

We can repay the favor for what we've learned about Whole 30 healthy foods by sharing with others.

How may I be of service?

Ask this question wherever you go.  Helping others gets us out of our head.  It helps us recognize that we all need help and have hard times.

When you have a sense of belonging to the whole world...you expand within.  Our contributions to the happiness of others will always return to you.

When we get out of our heads...we can get into the real world.  We can live fully in the present moment and feel that sense of everyone as our family.

A Whole 30 moves us from being stuck in the mud of old limitations and into selfless service.  What can I do for you?

Archived