What A Serving of Eggs Looks Like

Physibeth

We as moderators see a lot of confusion around here on what constitutes a serving of eggs when eggs are your primary protein source. We tell you as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping but I still don't think people actually try this. So I thought I'd post a visual for you folks. It would be fun if other people added their own pictures too. Try the experiment.

Context - I'm 5'4" female and these are large eggs.

post-19395-0-22348100-1407342884_thumb.j

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ive been trying to eat 3 eggs with spinich usually but when I try to get to third im listening to my fullness signal...but then hungrey 2 hrs later so this morn I tried chicken breast with spinich cooked in ghee and three eggs and couldnt

Finish it....can I save the leftovers and eat 2 hrs later?

• Like 3

Ive been trying to eat 3 eggs with spinich usually but when I try to get to third im listening to my fullness signal...but then hungrey 2 hrs later so this morn I tried chicken breast with spinich cooked in ghee and three eggs and couldnt

Finish it....can I save the leftovers and eat 2 hrs later?

You most certainly can. Also remember that you can't always trust your hunger signals while things adjust. But if you just can't eat anymore saving it and eating it as a mini meal is a great option. Your body will adjust.

• Like 10

Can you build a pyramid with the eggs?

:lol:

Well you are allowed to have 2 servings of protein if you need it. This would be a question for the top dogs in all seriousness. I'd be scared I'd drop one of my very expensive pastured eggs trying to build a pyramid. And my floors are not really clean right now...and I would scoop it up and eat it anyway.  :ph34r:

• Like 13

Thanks for clarifying! I've been thinking that my measly two eggs in the morning needed more something, so I've been throwing in the scramble about half a serving of whatever leftover meat I have in the fridge. Do you think the leftover protein combined with the two eggs in enough?

• Like 2

Thanks for clarifying! I've been thinking that my measly two eggs in the morning needed more something, so I've been throwing in the scramble about half a serving of whatever leftover meat I have in the fridge. Do you think the leftover protein combined with the two eggs in enough?

It could be. First see how many eggs you can hold in your hand to see how much of a serving 2 eggs is for you. For me it would be half a serving. So if I used 2 eggs and leftover meat I would use at least a palm sized serving of the meat. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

Physibeth, assuming I can handle 4 eggs in my hand palm, does it mean 4 eggs is my palm-sized portion of protein?

If it is, and assuming I'm some kind of crazy for eggs, would it be safe to take 4 eggs at all 3 meals?

What if I could handle 2 palm-sized portions in each meal? Would it be healthy?

(These are just questions. I'm not pretending anything of that :))

Hello everyone. Physibeth, assuming I can handle 4 eggs in my hand palm, does it mean 4 eggs is my palm-sized portion of protein? If it is, and assuming I'm some kind of crazy for eggs, would it be safe to take 4 eggs at all 3 meals? What if I could handle 2 palm-sized portions in each meal? Would it be healthy? (These are just questions. I'm not pretending anything of that :))

Yes that is your serving. You are better off getting a variety of protein over your meals because different protein sources have different benefits, but I've been known to eat 4 eggs at multiple meals in a day when I'm pressed for time. I don't know the answer on 2 palm-sized portions of eggs. Because eggs have a higher fat content they are quite filling...when I eat them I generally don't need more than 4 but if I eat chicken I often need 1.5-2 palm sized portions. Good questions maybe another mod will chime in too.

• Like 2

If it is, and assuming I'm some kind of crazy for eggs, would it be safe to take 4 eggs at all 3 meals? What if I could handle 2 palm-sized portions in each meal? Would it be healthy?

Eggs are a great healthy food, but variety is also good. I don't think it would be *unhealthy* to have 12 eggs in one day, but if you did that every single day, you would be missing out on the particular nutrients that come other protein sources.

I have eggs most days, but rarely more than 4 or 5 in a single day (sometimes over several meals). This leaves room for fish and beef and lamb and turkey and chicken and shellfish and pork  :)

• Like 4

So you was consuming 7 eggs a day? On which frequency?

Is this question for me? I have eaten for 2 meals once during my Whole30.

I normally have eggs for breakfast, chicken or fish for lunch and lamb or beef for dinner.

On Monday however, I had eggs for breakfast and then got home and realised I wanted eggs for dinner as well, rather than the chilli I had made.

On Tuesday, I had chilli for breakfast. :)

• Like 8

So I made this great breakfast of leftover cooked veges with three beaten eggs and showed off my beautiful creation still in the pan to my partner and instead of telling me how great it looked I got.... thats a lot to eat for breakfast!!!

Was so tempted to say yeah right, 350 calories of healthy unprocessed food is bad for breakfast but your two weetbix with milk and muesli on top is the better meal? Hmmmph!

• Like 13

I don't have a hand picture handy, but my morning meals, which was when I usually had eggs, usually consisted of 2-3 eggs, scrambled or omleted, plus a second protein source, usually ground beef, sometimes fish.

It held me well for what was often a 6 hour gap before lunch.

• Like 4

This morning when I was "measuring" my eggs for Meal 1, of course by holding as many as possible in my hand, I almost grabbed the camera to take a photo. And then woke up the dog because I laughed so hard at myself - must spend less time lurking on the Forums!  For the record, 4 boiled eggs is a serving for me.

Yesterday in the kitchen at work, a guy from another department was watching me "measure" my protein, by holding my cupped hands above the plate where the chicken-apple sausages were sitting.  I don't know what he thought I was doing, but I should have explained.  NO, I'm not blessing my food, I'm just trying to be compliant!

• Like 5

I was the same..thinking 2 eggs where enough, but it wasn't. So I added spinach, and still not enough so I then had 3 eggs with spinach and what I love are the applegate chicken sausage was great! I also had a half an avocado and that did the trick! I was able to last until lunch time and I wasn't starving at lunch either! Sometimes it was a bit to much, but then I would pack the rest of my breakfast and had it a couple of hours later! Best thing I ever did was eat more for breakfast...it really set the day for healthy day without feeling restricted or hungry

• Like 5

Hi all just starting I hate trying to figure out how much by my hand palm isnt there a oz per each or cup size for the veggies i have a scale so it would be much easier to follow just like the eggs how many can you actually stack in your hand especialy if they are hard boiled LOL

well look forward to getting to know eveyone .

dawn

Hi all just starting I hate trying to figure out how much by my hand palm isnt there a oz per each or cup size for the veggies

The meal template gives you slightly vague information on purpose. Do your best to estimate the palm-size and thumb-sizes. Make sure you have at least 1 cup of veggies, but more like 3 is better, especially if they are salad greens. After that, try to use your own hunger to guide you. If you are hungry between these meals you need more of something, likely more protein or fat but more vegetables is rarely a bad thing. good luck!

• Like 5