What A Serving of Eggs Looks Like

Physibeth

• 1 month later...

I have a hard time eating a full serving of eggs for breakfast.  Finished the official Whole30 a couple of weeks ago so I know it isn't just that I can't trust my hunger signals.  But for me, if I have 2 scrambled eggs with some coconut milk mixed in as a healthy fat, and a small amount of roasted veggies (kale, squash, broccoli, or beans, etc), that feels right for me.  I could add in a piece or two of bacon, but any time I add in a 3rd or 4th egg I have to throw some away because I just want to throw up before I'm finished.

All that to say - for some people, it might be better to plan a half serving of eggs and a half serving of meat rather than a full serving of eggs!

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, adayinaz said:

(kale, squash, broccoli, or beans, etc),

Just to note for anyone who is still doing Whole30, beans are not okay to have during your Whole30 (unless you're talking green beans?). 

35 minutes ago, adayinaz said:

for some people, it might be better to plan a half serving of eggs and a half serving of meat rather than a full serving of eggs!

Yes, this is definitely true for many people. It's also a matter of experimentation -- I technically can hold four eggs, but never actually finish four eggs. Three eggs and a plate full of veggies, or two eggs, some sausage, and a plate full of veggies does keep me satisfied 4-5 hours, so for me, that's what I go with. But I did try four eggs to see how it worked, more than once, to figure that out for sure.

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Just to note for anyone who is still doing Whole30, beans are not okay to have during your Whole30 (unless you're talking green beans?). 

Yes good clarification!  I definitely meant green beans.  They're one of my favorite veggies so I eat them a lot.  I tried to edit my post to reflect that but the edit option doesn't show up now!

Edited by adayinaz
Tried to edit previous post; edit option didn't come up.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, adayinaz said:

Yes good clarification!  I definitely meant green beans.  They're one of my favorite veggies so I eat them a lot.  I tried to edit my post to reflect that but the edit option doesn't show up now!

You can only edit a post for about 15 minutes after posting and then it's locked. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2014 at 1:52 PM, Physibeth said:

You most certainly can. Also remember that you can't always trust your hunger signals while things adjust. But if you just can't eat anymore saving it and eating it as a mini meal is a great option. Your body will adjust.

I thought you could only have three meals a day.

And here she was saying that you want to eat her chicken breast 2 hours later and it seems like that's not part of lunch,

Unless I'm being mistaken here

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Akikaki said:

I thought you could only have three meals a day. And here she was saying that you want to eat her chicken breast 2 hours later and it seems like that's not part of lunch, Unless I'm being mistaken here

Three meals a day is our best practice recommendation, it's not a rule. In this case the moderator was discussing what to do when the person felt that they couldn't eat enough in one sitting to make it to their next meal. People who are very used to snacking all day sometimes need an adjustment period in order to teach their body to eat three meals/day.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Anhe said:

I think I'm not able to eat 4-5 eggs in a meal... I'd hate eggs after that. I have never eaten more than 3 in a meal.

I've never done more than 3 eggs in a meal, either, and only up to 2 if they're boiled, but my hand is pretty small so 3 eggs is about one portion for me and that seems to work quite well. If I do ever feel like I need more protein, I simply add in a bit of chicken or sausage to boost it without stuffing even more eggs in :) (which would probably lead to issues, since they often don't sit well for me).

13 hours ago, Jihanna said:

I've never done more than 3 eggs in a meal, either, and only up to 2 if they're boiled, but my hand is pretty small so 3 eggs is about one portion for me and that seems to work quite well. If I do ever feel like I need more protein, I simply add in a bit of chicken or sausage to boost it without stuffing even more eggs in :) (which would probably lead to issues, since they often don't sit well for me).

I can hold easily 4 (quite large), and not so easily 5. But more than 3 plain eggs, seems impossible for me, and if I eat any other protein, I just do 2 eggs plus meat/fish.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Anhe said:

I can hold easily 4 (quite large), and not so easily 5. But more than 3 plain eggs, seems impossible for me, and if I eat any other protein, I just do 2 eggs plus meat/fish.

If your meals are keeping you satisfied 4-5 hours at a time, you're good.

Often, we see people who come from a background of calorie restriction who continue to limit their meal sizes the way they would if they were counting calories, sometimes purposefully, sometimes subconsciously. Mostly, this was a post to encourage those people to eat as much as they need to eat, even if it seems like a lot of food, and to say that it is okay to eat more than what they may be used to, if that's what it takes to stay satisfied and avoid snacking between meals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi.  I am on Day 8 and the egg question is big for me.  I am doing great with only 3 meals and only occasionally have had to snack on olives or nuts before dinner.  I have been eating 2 eggs, mostly with some protein from meat as well as veggies, and found it too much.  Am I ok with one egg as long as I have other meat protein and veggies as well? Fat has been cooking oil, bacon or avocado.  

Also, I am worried I am not including enough fat each meal.  I need 1-2 from the template?  Cooking oil counts as one?

Eat 90% paleo diet normally, but did not eat 3 meals.

Thank you!

• 3 months later...

Shannon stated it well, if you can go 4-5 hours between meals without going hungry, you're probably doing fine.  I've been (mostly) Whole-30ing for 2.5 years and still not sure about the fats - my experience is that not enough tends to cause hunger more quickly, but you're not going to hurt yourself nutritionally if you're on the low side.  Protein and veggies are the key things to be sure you're getting enough of.  I'm lucky, I never get tired of eggs - but even as a 200+ pound male, I don't eat more than 2 eggs despite being able to easily hold 4 in my hand (big hands lol ) I do add breakfast sausage (homemade, store bought stuff usually has sugar, Pedersen's is clean  but pricey) - and avocado usually included with every meal.

Jim