What A Serving of Eggs Looks Like

Physibeth

thanks everyone for the great info i finally took the time to surf the site and found alot of what i was looking for i  think im going back to kindergarden and trace my hand and put in a sheet proctector and weight the food and then that will give me some idea.

Thanks Again :D

Dawn

• 2 weeks later...

I"m just curious - does anyone eat anything but eggs for breakfast? i am on day 4 and starting to get tired of eggs!

Lots of people eat lots of things other then eggs for their first meal. Anything you want. Stop thinking of breakfast foods and just look at it like another meal. That said I love eggs and I usually eat them every morning. But that is my personal context.

Related to eggs (Physibeth - I'm impressed, I don't think I could balance that many eggs in my hands!):

If eggs are your protein, do they also count towards your fat in a meal?  I know the yolks have a bunch of fat in them, as well as protein / micronutrients, so I wonder.

I typically eat 3 eggs and some vegetables (both sautéed in ghee or another cooking fat) for breakfast, but I wonder if I should be adding in another fat source as well.

Thanks!

If eggs are your protein, do they also count towards your fat in a meal?  I know the yolks have a bunch of fat in them, as well as protein / micronutrients, so I wonder.

yup. If you have enough eggs you are covered for both protein and fat. That said, the fat in the template is really a minimum. It's fine to have additional fat with eggs if you want it.

• Like 1

Thanks, missmary!

I used to eat 2 eggs at breakfast, moving to 3 still seems like "a lot of food," so I don't feel like I need additional fat, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't short-changing myself by not adding one in at this point.

Thank you for clarifying!

• 4 weeks later...

I"m just curious - does anyone eat anything but eggs for breakfast? i am on day 4 and starting to get tired of eggs!

I love eggs and eat them almost every single morning. The other day I ran out - gasp! - and only had two so I had to supplement. I used my normal sauteed veggies, the two eggs, and tossed some turkey on top. It was actually incredibly tasty. The only one I can't get behind (yet) is fish at breakfast time. :)

There's so much you can do with eggs. Have you tried switching it up? Poaching, over easy (or medium or hard), scrambled, hard boiled, steamed, omelet, frittata, bake them in a pepper... When I get tired of one method I'll switch to another, swap out my veggies and seasonings, and it's like a completely different meal.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Kirkor ~ OMG, that made me laugh out loud in my extremely quiet office! 

I tried the "holding" method also but when my answer came up to 5, I went back to having a couple ounces of meat and a couple eggs as the protein for breakfast...seems to be the right prescription for me!

I don't eat eggs at all ever as I am doing the Auto Immune Protocol. 

I eat a regular meal for breakfast, whatever I would eat at another meal. Steak, chicken fish, fat, salad, a bunch of veggies, yum. 

Plenty of recipes to be had on Google for Whole 30 breakfasts with no eggs. 

Enjoy!

PS I can hold a whole chicken in one hand. 

• Like 5

I am actually contemplating trying to eat that many but I'd make myself sick :P

I try to stick with 4 eggs with coconut milk and with either green beans or broccoli or even a mix.  But I do admit I keep wanting to add a hamburger patty, that would be 2 different protein sources but would overwhelm the portions of veggies. 

• Administrators

But I do admit I keep wanting to add a hamburger patty, that would be 2 different protein sources but would overwhelm the portions of veggies.

For breakfast (and when breakfast is for dinner), I almost always eat a meat protein with the eggs (usually a couple ounces of meat protein and 2 eggs) because just eggs alone doesn't seem to keep me going as long and I really prefer to use eggs in at least one meal a day in order to keep costs down.

• Like 1

Is this question for me? I have eaten for 2 meals once during my Whole30.

I normally have eggs for breakfast, chicken or fish for lunch and lamb or beef for dinner.

On Monday however, I had eggs for breakfast and then got home and realised I wanted eggs for dinner as well, rather than the chilli I had made.

On Tuesday, I had chilli for breakfast. :)

Where did you get your chili recipe?  I'd be really interested to know what it had in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this seriously mean that I should eat 5 eggs as a protein serving!?

Those five eggs looks like a stretch for your hand to me. Remember, it's the eggs you can hold without dropping them as the guideline.  ;)

Start with eating at least 3 eggs for your protein serving, along with 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of fat per the recommended meal template. If your meal doesn't keep you satiated for at least 4-5 hours, add an egg the next time around.  

• Like 3

• Administrators

Karin ~ I've personally found that after 3 eggs, I can add as many more as I could stuff in me but they don't provide the same satisfaction and "appetite duration" as if I keep the eggs at about 2 and add a couple ounces of meat.  Maybe give that combo a try if the eggs aren't doing it for you?

• Like 1