Whole30 approved almond milk?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, FitAndFabForever said:

Can anyone shed light on this issue of "Natural Flavors." Are they potentially bad for us?

Silk Almond milk has "Natural Flavors". On the Cheat Sheet for Additives, I see Natural flavors is ok. But my understanding is that 'Natural flavors' could be MSG or other additives not good for you. I'm wondering whether it's really ok or to keep avoiding this additive.  

Here's a link on one persons take:

http://foodbabe.com/2011/12/01/chemical-warfare-with-natural-flavor/

Food manufacturers cannot hide things like MSG, carrageenan and sugar under 'natural flavors'.  I realize the article says they can, but they can't.  That said, some of us choose not to eat food with 'flavors' natural or artificial.... the less ingredients, the better and produce, protein and fats don't have ingredients, so it's not that hard to avoid the natural flavors.  There ARE almond and coconut milks on the market that don't have these additives... they're harder to find sometimes but they're out there.

For what it's worth, that FoodBabe chick gets her money from ads... and the more hysterical and excitable she can make people, the more they click on the ads... she's not wrong in a general sense, but there's a LOT on that blog that is stretching the truth either a little, or a looooot... 

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/18/2016 at 10:47 AM, netdirector said:

Oh my goodness... I just bought a Blendtec this week on Amazon, and a 3lb bag of raw almonds from Sam's Club (9 cups!). I soaked 1 cup of the almonds last night, and this morning rinsed off all the bad stuff that had risen. Dumped it in the blender with 4 cups of water and a vanilla bean, pressed the nifty "Whole Juice" button, and 45 secs later I had a rich, creamy almond milk. I also bought a nut sack to strain it through (saving the almond meal for something else) and popped some in my morning iced coffee.

IT WAS AMAZING!!! Totally different from the Califia Unsweetened Almond Milk I'm used to... this is just fresher AND sweeter. Although I'm over 2 weeks into my Whole30 now and WOW is everything super sweet. I used to add a date or two to my salads, but it's just too much now.

Thinking about trying a chocolate almond milk, essentially just adding a couple of tablespoons of cacao powder to the blend, or maybe some cacao nibs for a bit of crunch. I can't believe how good this stuff is. I'll never buy packaged almond milk again.

This was my first use of the Blendtec. Tonight, I'm going to cook up some cauliflower and add it into the blender with some of my chicken bone broth and press the "Soup" button. Creamy cauliflower soup! I have some Whole30 compliant ham to add to that too... :)

Does anyone know how long is safe to keep homemade almond milk (or any nut milks) in the fridge?? Thanks

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, OceanSide said:

Does anyone know how long is safe to keep homemade almond milk (or any nut milks) in the fridge?? Thanks

I googled your question, this was the very first result: 

Store the milk in a sealed container in the fridge. Activated almond milk (made with soaked almonds) will keep for 2 to 3 days in a very cold fridge. Unsoaked almond milk will keep for about 5 days.

Archived