Oh Canada!

I've heard of all these neat products that I can buy online and have mailed if I have a U.S. addy, or see people talking about Trader Joe's etc. Any Canadians out there who know of some good grocery stores where I can find some of this stuff? I came across coconut butter at Cooper's the other day but that's been the extent of my find's! Safeway, Save-On, Cooper's??

I'm out here on the east coast and lucky enough to live within walking distance of a local farmers veggie market, a local sourced meat market, across the street from a fish market, and a short bus ride to an Asian market. And then there's a locally owned market (Pete's Frootique) that does just about everything from local sources plus they import a ton of British foods for when I need a little strange something extra! That store also has a selection of yummy exotic fruits & veggies. In a pinch Sobeys & Superstore fill in the gaps for things like coconut oil.

If you have smaller stores like Asian markets they are the best source for the fun extras while keeping costs down.

Usually using online searches you can find organic farms near you. Often they will sell grassfed beef, free run chickens and farm fresh eggs at their facilities.

There's a great one in Kingston Ontario - Sonset Farms, and several in Durham Region we've used for meat, veggies and eggs.

Coconut oil you can purchase at the health food store, I've also seen it at Loblaws and Bulk Barn as well. I've had some luck finding products by searching what i'm looking for and "Canada" In the google search. Ask at your health food store if they'll order stuff in for you? Mine is really good about searching out products and ordering it in for me.

I cannot find coconut flake yet though which is SO annoying to me.

Good luck in your searching!

Ottawa has some good stuff. Market Organics, Aubrey's Meats, Murray Street Grill. We have fun here.

I alway think of the entire province of BC as being super healthy, but I guess I'm thinking more of Vancouver and less of say, Kamloops. Either way, good luck with your hunt! I'm making a bunch of business trips to Abbotsford and Vancouver this year so I hope to become well versed in some good carnivore friendly eating places out that way.

I'm in the lower mainland as well, and I've found a few places that are good. I order most of my organic produce from a delivery company called SPUD (Sustainable Produce Urban Delivery) they have lots of grocery items too, with ingredients & how far the product travelled as I try to buy local as much as possible. For meat there's Sumas Mountain Farms (only frozen & thru their website) for grass-fed beef, pork & chicken or in Pitt Meadows there's Hopcott's - not grass-fed but hormone & anti-biotic free (also fresh, not frozen). I've found lots at Superstore - cheap prices on coconut milk - if you read the ingredients & Costco is great for fresh organic spinach & canned tomatoes & paste. I also was able to order coconut aminos from a canadian website called Upaya Naturals - it's a raw vegan store, so lots of coconut products & raw nut butters. Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

Tracey I live in Surrey and coconut oil abounds in many places.. superstore has it for sure. If you go into Port Coquitlam the Organic Grocer there has good prices and a variety of things. Glad to see some local people here. :)

• 2 months later...

For those of you in the lower mainland, I discovered Millingtons Butcher Shop in Port Coquitlam today. Among other yummy things they have, I specifically went for the sugar free nitrite free back bacon!!! I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks good! I'll be enjoying it tomorrow morning for breakfast :)

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any tips on the least expensive coconut aminos? Or is it not possible to get it cheaper than $9 for a small bottle? I did find a website that has a gallon jug for $90, but it would be nice to get it in less.. bulk.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, as my neighbourhood health store DID stock the stuff, right next to the soy and tamari sauces.

Hi there, Toronto neighbors. Here is the list of places I shop for the Whole30 stuff:

Meat - Healthy butcher, Loblaws on Queen has meat from Beretta Farms, one of the organic farms brings their produce to the farmer's market at Dufferin Grove.

Ghee (if you are lazy to make your own) - Vital Planet on Front Street (near St. Lawrence) + Organic Shop in Baldwin Village

Coconut aminos - Organic Shop in Baldwin Village (lowest price so far at 9CAD)

Coconut Milk - I buy Aroy-D as I find other brands rather nasty tasting. Any supermarket carry them, but if you are looking for cartons - Lucky Moose (right past AGO) is your go-to spot.

Pure coconut wraps - Big Carrot (Danforth)

I am trying to find a compliant fish sauce. Have any of you had luck finding it?

I"ve found alot of the items at Sav-On-Foods. In the Edmonton area, we have Planet Organic that carries a lot of it. I have a friend that has a blog called Redefine Impossible. She made a list on her blog last week of where to find all those hard to find items. The store I had bought coconut aminos from was out and not getting any for two weeks. I just googled "coconut aminos Canada" and found a few places in Canada to order from and shipping was really cheap or free, depending on how much you ordered off their site. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

If you want to order from the states for grocery items, you could try www.iherb.com, but be careful as they use DHL which I believe charges brokerage fees for the fast shipping option, so you might end up with a brokerage bill at the door or in the mail (brokerage fee is not the same as customs and duty charged by the Cdn government, but a "paperwork" fee charged by the carrier (dhl) to give to the government to clear it over the border)... confirm with iherb and dhl before you order. iherb has a very good selection of coconut oil, coconut butter, larabars, coconut aminos, ghee, coconut water, almond flour, etc at good prices.

Also www.well.ca a Canadian online grocery, a little more expensive but no border hassles.

If you google organic meats + your province, you will find lots of results. Many will take your order and ship it to a local health food store for you to pick up (usually cheaper than buying from the health food store directly), some are pick up only, some will arrange delivery to your house. You can check each website to see if the animals are pastured / grass fed.

Hope that helps.

Archived