relationships!

I follow a largely whole30 lifestyle. However, my boyfriend eats nothing but absolute rubbish. And I mean rubbish. He doesn't put on weight as he works outside all day for about 9 hours so burns it all off. I am finding it hard to navigate trying to eat healthy with someone buying me sweets/treats etc (with nothing but good intentions) even when I've said I'm trying to be healthy.

He has also asked me to educate him about healthy eating but I feel like my words are falling on deaf ears. I really think his health would benefit from eating better, as it almost worries me just how much rubbish he eats.

Does anyone have any advice? :)

Worrying about his food choices..."I just forget about it".   Woody Harrelson tells everyone that when they're stressed over choices.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.  I'm finishing up my Whole 90 today.  I didn't tell my family, relatives or friends.   I traveled on my road without their input or output.   The less I said, the better off I was.    Let the man drive his own vehicle.   If he wants a change, he'll make a change.   Show him the way and you won't have to say much of anything about it.

My hubby is the same. We can agree on the fact chips and soda and lollies are not good for you, so I explained to him how much better healthy eating made me feel, and requested he hide all his junk food. If he leaves it out, I ask him to put it away. Also, I'm the shopper and the cook, so I buy paleo and cook paleo, if he wants anything else he does it himself (theoretically, he hates cooking so never takes me up on it). Unlike your hubby, he has never expressed an interest in healthy eating, so I leave it there. I did also get it starts with food out from the library, and read it very slowly, reading out nuggets of information from each section. This gave him time to digest the information from an outside source, without information overload.

I was paleo for about 10 weeks I think before I started the whole 30. Loosing count now lol! Anyway, my partner could not believe the changes in me from changing foods. It has taken him roughly 10/11 weeks to make the switch too to paleo. Not a whole 30 yet. But we will see about that too:-). It is true to lead by example. He would sit there in the evenings eating his choices and crisps, toast, pizzas etc in front of me!! It was really tough at the beginning but I just kinda kept my head down and was doing it to improve my quality of life. He was amazed! So you keep eating the way you like too. He will perhaps one day make the switch too. :-)

After over a year of watching me struggle with riding my own bike (Whole 30 in January/February 2013, Whole 15 in November 2013), my hubby has finally started realizing the effects that food has on him. I haven't gotten a 100% answer from him yet, but I'm going to do a Whole 30 starting sometime this month (was going to start this weekend, but my A/C died and won't get fixed until Tuesday...I'm not doing that much cooking in this apartment without my A/C on...or with the crack in my kitchen sink that's leaking into the cabinet under it). He hasn't committed that he is going to stay compliant with me, but he's been having TERRIBLE skin issues with his feet for the last six months, and I've been planting the seeds that maybe it's food related, and a strict W30 might help...we'll see!

It helps that we both feel a little off following our no-control-over-food-military-exercise...he's been binging on sugary gluten things, and I subsisted off of tuna packs, seaweed, pudding cups, peanut butter, and fruit cups. So we both need a break of real food, and he at least feels that way, even if he doesn't decide to full on do a W30.

I'm lucky that my partner was totally up for doing a W30 with me - but over the years when we've had different paths, it was always really nice when there were ways that he could treat me with food, whether getting me something that I loved or cooking me a special meal.... so answering the other part of your question (re: him bringing you sweets etc with good intentions), is there something you would really appreciate food-wise (a particular cut of meat, some particular in-season yummy fruits or vegetables) that you'll genuinely savor and love i.e. not something that seems like no-fun "health food" to him.

When my marriage was breaking down eating this way was one of our many issues!!! Funny that months after we split the kids told me that Dad was going Paleo!!! New boyfriend won't give up the beer or bread (yet) but now eats scrambled eggs for breakfast everyday :) 

• 5 months later...

I'm excited to report that my sister and I completed our first W30!  We had a great time sharing recipes, swapping food, bitchin' and moaning about what we missed most.  The greatest thing about doing it with my sister is that my mom, a registered nurse who suffers from chronic arthritis and carries an extra 40-50lbs, got to see the results on both of us.  She was so impressed that she asked about W30.  I gave her the details and printed out a packet of information.  She was unwilling to commit due to the extra food prep, and that her partner would never agree to eat like this.  

I have committed to maintaining a W9 lifestyle because I really enjoy the food and the way it makes me feel.  I am totally drinking the Kool-Aid!  With that said, I offered to cook for my mom for her W30 if she was willing to give it a go.  I was blown away when she said yes!  My mom is a boot strap midwestern, don't need no help from no one gal.  I am thrilled to be able share this with her and feed her great food. My sister is on board too, so this going to be a family affair.  My brother lives out of state, but he has chimed in with support for my mom and we are all pulling for her.  It's going to be a valuable journey!

That's amazing. This forum is invaluable, but it's also great to have support IRL. And with your sister. My sister refers to my "crazy diet."

My mother, bakery addict and vegetable hater, overweight, takes a barage of pills, essentially went paleo with a nutritionist to treat her IBS. It's great--if frustrating when she claims to hate salad and even olive oil. (???) I love to see her taking care of her health. She was given the go to drop one of her blood pressure meds, which I am hoping will give her longer term motivation.

Archived