September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Hello!

I am also starting my Whole 30 today!  This will be my 3rd Whole 30, with completing the first one and making it about halfway through on the second one.  During the second one, I got engaged so I definitely decided a celebration was in order after that happened.  That was mid-summer, so now I'm ready to complete this one!

I'm lucky to have my new fiance on board with me this time, and it will be his first Whole30.  We are getting married next July so this will be the beginning of a new fit lifestyle for the both of us so we're fabulous for the wedding :) 

Yesterday, we made this AMAZING soup for breakfast with a bone broth base, bison sausage, bacon, coconut milk, and tons of veggies.  I had never made my own stock before or had bone broth, but I can't do any more eggs so this was excellent this morning.  Lunch is a chicken salad with cilantro lime dressing, and the man and I prepped enough salads for the whole week.  

Glad to know so many other people are starting on the same day. I struggle with depression and anxiety and definitely have let my diet become filled with unhealthy habits which in turn feed the anxiety/depression.  I was feeling so bad I didn't even want to plan my wedding and all weddings should be exciting!  Adjusting my diet will be pivotal in my mood issues and motivation, so I have so many reasons to begin this Whole30.  

I'm excited to feel better again! 

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys!

Just starting today since yesterday I stuffed myself by cookies, cakes and chocolate.

First meal: 2 hard boiled, left over grilled chicken breast, salad, 1 plum

I am about to find recipe for lunch. I don't feel hungry that much though. I think because after I woke up this morning I drank 22 oz of water which helped me a lot.

Right now I am keep drinking water, and I am feeling great though, no fatigue like the day I had a bunch of sugar.

I gave up coffee today since last few days I woke up middle of the night and feel uncomfortable, breathe difficulty.

I don't know it is from Low-Carbs diet or caffeine but I tried to cut caffeine to see how it is going to be tonight.

This is my first Whole30, and I am glad to be here.

Glad to read everyone's updates on Day1! I think today is going pretty well so far. I did grab a hand full of honey nut cheerios while getting my kids breakfast ready and popped them in my mouth. Just as I was starting to bite down, I realized what I did and I spit them out in the sink and rinsed my mouth out. I felt completely silly and you would have thought I had stuck a bug in mouth or something  :P

I downloaded a fun app, called Two Grand, which is kind of like instagram but it is solely for logging your food and exercise. It has a social aspect as well, you can "follow" people and comment on their photos. I am "ms_quoted" on there so if you use it as well, find me! http://www.twogrand.com/

Today so far:

Breakfast: Sweet potato topped with coconut oil, unsweetened shredded coconut, sliced almonds, raisins, and cinnamon. (super conservative with the almonds and raisins) w/ black coffee

Lunch: Steak w/ sauteed spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Water w/ lemon to drink.

I am trying to figure out what to do when my boys get home from school. Our after school routine is to read a book together and have a snack. I could just make a snack for them and not have anything or maybe I could have a cup of tea instead. I could have a small snack myself (I was thinking a few dates) but I know snacking isn't too W30 of me. Hmmmm.... decisions, decisions. 

MSQuoted  - Love that about the cheerios... Last night I was feeding the dog some French toast (long story) and there was a crumb of the French toast that I naturally picked up and put in my mouth.  I did the same thing (without the rinsing of mouth) to take it out of my mouth and give it to the dog.  LOL.  (I started yesterday because I did not want to wait another day). 

Regarding your afternoon activity with the boys including a snack.  If you are not hungry, then don't eat. Part of this plan 30 day plan (as I understand) is to break our old bad habits. 

Enjoy a cup of herbal tea (they did recommend no caffeine after noon) or just some refreshing ice water. 

I know I am doing my best to concentrate on breaking the bad habits that I know has contributed to the health state I am in and want to change. 

Good Luck!

I've finished day 1, it's 9.45pm, my normally pale skin is flushed red and blotchy, I am shattered and I have a horrid headache. I never get headaches so I'm guessing it's down to whole30. I was kind of hoping that the carb flu would be less this time but maybe not!

At least I don't have the diet coke withdrawal to cope with like last time though...the silver lining to my headachy cloud ;)

I am also starting today, never having done this before;  thought I would have time to prep and just the days got away from me.  I sort of failed at breakfast (I was at a school event and just didn't have time to eat) but had some pulled pork over salad and avocado at lunch.  I have the two well fed books and the nom nom paleo book so I'll go home tonight and cook a bit.

I'm really not sure how I am going to pull off breakfast since I have to get the kids ready for school and then I run to my desk - I really can't eat right when I get up, my stomach doesn't allow for that.  I usually do an almond butter/milk chia seed banana smoothie and bring it to work.  Any ideas on a low key breakfast?

Hi Everyone! I had planned on starting my Whole 30 today but it's going to have to be tomorrow. Oh well, 9/9 is a cool start date, right? I actually intended to start last Saturday, but my four year old daughter contracted E. Coli which pushed the Whole 30 to the back burner (she is going to be fine, thank goodness). 

I have to make one more run to the health food store and then I can get started prepping food for my big day tomorrow! I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for almost two years (my baby is about to turn one), which in my world means anything goes on the food front. I'm excited to push the reset button on my eating habits.

Kerbi - I understand how challenging it must be for the breakfast front with little ones. 

Have you thought of making any of the take along lunches for breakfast?  Something like a turkey, avocado and carrots (where you wrap the turkey around a slice of avocado and shredded carrots)? 

Check on Pinterest - there is a ton of people that have posted ideas while doing the Whole 30 program.  Just search for Whole 30 recipes.  

Also, you can always make a frittata ahead of time and then either heat up at work or heat and place in tin foil before you leave for work.  You can also make the frittatas in a muffin tin.  This will make individual quiches (for lack of a better term).  Just mix like you would if you were cooking in the morning and bake them.  They will last for several days in the fridge or you could also freeze them.  (I am getting these ideas from Organize Yourself Skinny - she does a lot of pre prep work and freezer meals - they may not be Whole 30 compliant, but the idea is the same with some tweaking). 

I see that my personal success will really be around making extras at each dinner and really planning ahead. 

A little planning goes a long way!

I second the portable frittata idea! I always have trouble spelling that word. 

I usually make it with ground beef, broccoli, mushrooms and onion. This is the recipe I started with http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1983505174/easy-paleo-frittata and then I just put it in little muffin molds.. I do need 2 or 3 for breakfast though!

Regarding your afternoon activity with the boys including a snack.  If you are not hungry, then don't eat. Part of this plan 30 day plan (as I understand) is to break our old bad habits. 

Enjoy a cup of herbal tea (they did recommend no caffeine after noon) or just some refreshing ice water. 

Thanks for the encouragement to stick with the plan! I enjoyed a nice hot cup of TAZO "refresh-mint" herbal tea when the boys got home.  For dinner I had salmon, roasted asparagus, and a few slices of tomato with salt and pepper. Water to drink.  I plan on having a cup of Chamomile tea before bed.

Today went really well. Tomorrow we have another family coming over for dinner. I am planning on making carnitas tacos with lots of toppings (avocado, pico de gallo, olives, lettuce, onion, peppers, etc.) I will have corn tortillas, cheese, and sour cream for those who are not eating Paleo and either baked potatoes or a salad that I and the dad from the other family, who eats Paleo, can put our toppings on in lieu of the tortillas.

Oof.  Today was rougher than I thought it would be.  I read the timeline online and expected to start feeling bad tomorrow on Day 2.  But I started getting a headache around 11am (even before my second meal.)  And that headache stayed pretty much all day.  And then my throat started to hurt about an hour later.  I also wasn't expecting a sore throat and I am not sure how related it is to the Whole30.  Either way, it sucks.

I started my crock pot for some comfort Whole30 friendly soup for tomorrow.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Oof.  Today was rougher than I thought it would be.  I read the timeline online and expected to start feeling bad tomorrow on Day 2.  But I started getting a headache around 11am (even before my second meal.)  And that headache stayed pretty much all day.  And then my throat started to hurt about an hour later.  I also wasn't expecting a sore throat and I am not sure how related it is to the Whole30.  Either way, it sucks.

I started my crock pot for some comfort Whole30 friendly soup for tomorrow.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I'm sorry today was hard and you aren't feeling that great :(  I think the soup is a great idea!

So sorry! 

I hear you... also felt terrible today. I was cranky at work (though that might just be my co-workers  :rolleyes: ) and looked at the timeline to make sure day 1 wasn't "kill all things". I got a headache after dinner which is unusual for me. I keep telling myself today wasn't THAT different from my usual meals but let's be honest... it was. 

Hope you feel better tomorrow! 

Thank goodness this day is almost over!  Well I guess it wasn't that bad. I overindulged all week-end and decided to sleep in and catch up on some sleep and when I finally did get moving I could not bear the thought of eating a thing as I was still full from all I ate on Sunday. I was ready to quit before I even started. That little voice kept telling me to start tomorrow or even wait til next Monday !  No I had to give this a try so even though I did not have but 2 meals today I stuck to the plan. I had steak egg and spinach and tomato from my garden. Dinner was a one dish turkey and veggie stew. I cooked a chicken in the crockpot and now I have it going for a bone broth. Alls well that ends well.

Hope you all had a great day one !  

Day 2       Here we go!   Still struggling with breakfast. I am just not hungry when I first get up. Packed up some hard boiled eggs raw veggies and tomato to bring to work and hope to eat that before my shift. I am also bringing a thermos with some leftover stew for my lunch.

Have a great day everyone!   :)

I made a 3 egg omelette this morning with a cup or so of chopped green beans, a couple of grilled tomatoes and a dollop of homemade mayo. I love omelettes but this morning it tasted bleugh.

I'm not used to breakfasts even after doing a whole30...even as a child I hated eating in the morning...though that could have been my mother's insistence on "healthy" all bran, skimmed milk, prunes, grapefruit juice, mighty white bread and st ivl gold (the most revolting tasting "healthy" margarine know to man and a legend of 1970s childhood revoltingness in our family!)

I'm currently simmering a massive pot of chilli with massive quantities of chopped peppers in it so the day can only get better food bleughness wise ;)

Good morning guys! I'm also struggling with breakfast. Not hungry at all.. I think I'll make soft boiled eggs which are easy to eat.

Packing pulled pork with greens and peppers for lunch. And of course black coffee.

On that note, does anyone have experience giving up coffee? I think maybe I should, since I most definitely depend on my morning cup, but am scared. (After all, it's part of my name!)

I don't have experience giving up coffee but last time I gave up a serious dependable in diet coke (multiple cans a day) and I'm not going to lie, the caffeine and artificial crap withdrawal was hell for a week or so.

but afterwards it was so very worth it and I've never gone back. I did have a sip by accident from a can of my sister's last week on total autopilot and nearly gagged so I don't regret those hard days at all x

Archived