Having a hard time finding Bacon without sugar

Ripcord_Jennie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made mayo with bacon fat, baconaise. Without thinking I put it in my tuna salad. I probably put a tbsp or maybe two of bacon fat I one batch with coconut oil. Does this derail my whole 30? Also tuna said contains tuna and soy although soy is not in the ingredients. What is up with that and does that mean I can't have it?

I started using prosciutto in place of bacon because I could find prosciutto that was just pork and salt. It is not a perfect substitute, but it tastes pretty good in it's own right.

I did the same! Plus my grocer also sells diced prosciutto which means I have nice little chunks to throw in my omelette. :)

I started using prosciutto in place of bacon because I could find prosciutto that was just pork and salt. It is not a perfect substitute, but it tastes pretty good in it's own right.

Me too. A little chopped up proscuitto gives a little something extra to a salad or other dishes. I get mine at Trader Joe's, They have one package that is simply pork and salt. :)

Back in 2010 I found several varieties of bacon without sugar in several different stores... then I couldn't. It's been more than a year since I've found sugar-free bacon. I haven't been looking lately, but I guess it's time to poke around again.

Tom - I see you are also from the Atlanta area. It's a stretch for you, but the Dekalb Farmer's Market in Decatur has sugar-free/nitrate free bacon.

• 1 month later...
it was in the butcher case and was just a Jalapeño Garlic Bacon. :)

So was it made by them directly or was it a particular brand? Im curious. The meat department at my local whole foods wasnt able to help but one adventurous and helpful guy from prepared foods is taking on the task as we speak. If this is something they prepare, maybe I can get your people to talk to my people? ;) Or maybe I can just send them these recipes posted by others here too!!!! ;P

A suburb of Portland, but now that the kids are both done with high school and in college (and we don't have to stay here for the schools), I'm hoping to move out of the burbs and get a place closer to downtown! I really love Portland, too .

Can you send me the name of the bacon you got, so I can ask my Whole Foods about it, and keep my eye out for it?

Ann, I live in LO, so we probably go to the same WF. They don't have sugar free bacon and especially not in the case. The MGR of the dept. said WF does not carry sugar free. They have the Applegate that says zero sugar in the nutrition stats, but if you look at the ingredients, it's there in the form of evaporated cane syrup. So, they do the allowed FDA trick of saying zero when it's simply below a certain amount. US Wellness has sugar free bacon, but you have to order 7lbs of meat from them before they'll ship. I decided that all of my research tells me I just need to give it up bacon for a while. :)

slw600, I ended up concluding the same thing. I tried the low sodium bacon from Costco, and while technically "compliant", I don't think it tastes very good, and it is probably factory farmed with lots of unhealthy residues in the fat. Now that I'm post-30, and trying to eat mostly paleo with a few tweaks (red wine, occasional off-roading at a restaurant), I've decided to occasionally indulge in high quality bacon with raw sugar. (Wellshire - compassionate animal treatment, no growth stimulants or antibiotics, healthy diet). Expensive ($9/18 oz), but a little goes a long way bc it is SO good.

slw600, I ended up concluding the same thing. I tried the low sodium bacon from Costco, and while technically "compliant", I don't think it tastes very good, and it is probably factory farmed with lots of unhealthy residues in the fat. Now that I'm post-30, and trying to eat mostly paleo with a few tweaks (red wine, occasional off-roading at a restaurant), I've decided to occasionally indulge in high quality bacon with raw sugar. (Wellshire - compassionate animal treatment, no growth stimulants or antibiotics, healthy diet). Expensive ($9/18 oz), but a little goes a long way bc it is SO good.

I haven't had the low sodium bacon, but sodium isn't a problem for me so not tempted to try it. It sounds icky. I even have to up my sodium occasionally because I typically have uber low blood pressure. I agree with you on the bacon. I will ocasionally have it as a true treat and will use applegate or some other bacon that is as good as it gets when I do have it. Did you find Wellshire locally at WF or did you have to order it?

By the way...have you discovered Kookoolan Farms chickens at New Seasons? It's amazing. They truly are 100% pastured, so it's seasonal. You need to grab one quick if you haven't tried it. Indescribable. You can go to their Farm Store (Yamhill) or Hillsdale Farmers Market every other weekend and purchase their pork from Pastured Heritage pigs and their eggs from their chickens. LOVE them. www.kookoolanfarms.com

• 5 weeks later...

Replying to an old thread here. I just read through the entire thread and I was wondering what the ideal ingredients for a bacon that is compliant with the Whole 30. It is mentioned no sugar is allowed but other than that, what else should I look for?

We've all decided it's best to buy a raw pork belly and make your own. I doubt you will find any with no sugar at all. US Wellness does have some (although they run out a lot) that you can order online and it has been officially approved for whole 30.

Ooh, I've just about given up on bacon since it was taking too much effort to search for one that was w30 compliant and could be bought locally. I just decided to give it up. Though I do like the idea of making it out of pork belly or trying proscuitto instead. Thanks for the great tips, all!

I bought some bacon from

www.kreilichfarms.com

Kreilich Farm bacon is made the way my great-grandfather made it after coming from Germany to Missouri. If you lived 150 years ago this is how bacon would have tasted. Our bacon is produced in extremely small quantities to ensure the finest quality for our customers. It is made using only natural ingredients and traditional methods. No nitrates, nitrites, chemical solutions, phosphates, or water are ever used. We use a time-honored family recipe of spices and herbs to dry cure our bacon. Our bacon is then smoked slowly over apple and pecan wood for hours.

It is rather expensive at $11.95 per pound, but I sent for some and believe me it is fabulous. I eat bacon so seldom that the price didn't deter me. I had two slices yesterday morning along with three scrambles eggs. YUMMY.!!

Nancy, do you have a list of ingredients on the packaging? Is there no sugar? I went to the website and it looks really good, but sometimes companies lump sugar under "spices" or "natural" ingredients. Also, you seem to enjoy concocting things from scratch..have you tried buying your own pork belly and making bacon out of it? It's only about $3.99 per lb at my Whole Foods for pork belly from pastured pigs.

Okay, I emailed the company and received a reply from John Kreilich. I asked about added sugars of any kind and this is what he said. In case he or I missed something I then replied and asked about evaporated corn syrup since I keep seeing that in meats. Then I asked him if he had an exact list of ingredients. Sigh. I'm quite sure he thinks I am very OCD. I think it's a go and nice work Nancy for finding them.

"No sugar, sugar additives, dextrose, other "ose", whey, gluten. No additives at all.

Hope we can earn your business."

John Kreilich

President

When this bacon is gone I plan to try making my own. I talked to the butcher in my super market and he said they get in large slabs of pork belly frozen and then cut it into thick slices. I tried that but it was horrible.. But he said if I called several days in advance I could get a 4 pound slab. It would be frozen and with the skin on, but I plan to use this recipe. I found it on the web, but I don't remember where. I copied it into my word processor. It sounds good in that it is smoked prior to cooking.

BACON

Makes 16 Portions of Fresh Bacon

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 hours

Needs to be chilled overnight: 12 hours

Total Time: 17 hours, 10 minutes

Ingredients:

4 pound piece pork belly, tough rind/skin trimmed off

2 tablespoon smoked paprika

2 tablespoon kosher salt

2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Combine the spices and coat the pork belly thoroughly all over. Wrap snugly in two-layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan and cook for 3 1/2 hours. Turn off oven and leave the pork inside to cool for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and refrigerate over night.

Unwrap the pork belly and scrap off any gelatinous juices. Cut into think slices and brown in a pan just as if you were cooking bacon. A little extra fat from the foil can be added

When this bacon is gone I plan to try making my own. I talked to the butcher in my super market and he said the get in large slabs of pork belly frozen and then cut it into thick slices. I tried that but it was horrible. I plan to use a recipe I found on the web, but I don't remember where. I copied it into my word processor. It sounds good in that it is smoked prior to cooking.

BACON

Makes 16 Portions of Fresh Bacon

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 hours

Needs to be chilled overnight: 12 hours

Total Time: 17 hours, 10 minutes

Ingredients:

4 pound piece pork belly, tough rind/skin trimmed off

2 tablespoon smoked paprika

2 tablespoon kosher salt

2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Combine the spices and coat the pork belly thoroughly all over. Wrap snugly in two-layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan and cook for 3 1/2 hours. Turn off oven and leave the pork inside to cool for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and refrigerate over night.

Unwrap the pork belly and scrap off any gelatinous juices. Cut into think slices and brown in a pan just as if you were cooking bacon. A little extra fat from the foil can be added

Yep, that is the recipe that Xandra posted (I think) in the bacon/pork belly/eat lots of fat thread. :) It's really good and my pork belly was only 3.99 lb. Huge savings. A little fussy and you do need a really good knife to slice it with after baking.

\

Sometimes I feel like we turn all of the threads into that... ;0)

So true. I truly do love and use fat. :) When I bake my pork belly, I save the fat in a really pretty jar. I'd try to post a picture of it, but can't figure it out so now I will change my avatar again. :)

Archived