Having a hard time finding Bacon without sugar

Ripcord_Jennie

On 1/4/2017 at 11:54 AM, Cheshire Cheetah said:

...Then I remembered that I hate bacon.

I don't think you're allowed to say that on the internet.

But more seriously, after researching this for a while, I think the Kirkland Low Sodium bacon, while not encouraged, is technically allowable (I wouldn't say "compliant").  The sodium phosphate and sodium nitrate do not appear to be on the naughty list.  In fact the sodium nitrate/nitrite is specifically acceptable on the additive cheat sheet.  

Moderator Tom Denham said this about the sodium erythorbate "I am going to make an executive decision here and say yes you can eat bacon that includes sodium erythorbate, but you should not [emphasis added]. It is basically a preservative with some similarities to ascorbic acid or vitamin C. However, some people are sensitive to it and it may cause problems similar to those caused by sulphites."  

He goes on, "But hear me people! This is not an endorsement. I will not eat bacon with this particular preservative and you should not either. However, you are an adult. If you want to take chances with your health and the quality of your Whole30 experience, you can eat this ingredient."

So for those of us who simply aren't interested in life without bacon and don't have the means or motivation to purchase it from US Wellness Meats for $13/lb, the Kirkland Low Sodium bacon is the compromise.  Still, as Tom said, it doesn't really keep with the ultimate Whole 30 experience, and if you are into 100% compliance, you shouldn't eat it.  Choose wisely.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you live in the US and have a Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage near you, they carry Pederson's Uncured No Sugar Added Hickory Smoked Bacon that has a WHOLE30 approved logo on the upper right hand corner.   This brand may be available in other stores, but I can only find it at Natural Grocers, here.  Anyway, they also have other Pederson bacon products, but they are not Whole30 approved, so be careful when you are shopping.

Archived