success with freezing cut raw sweet potatoes?

GFChris

Has anyone had success with freezing cut raw sweet potatoes?  Curious if that worked for you, or not. (e.g., peeling and cutting sweet potatoes to roast at a later time). 

I was discussing this with someone who wanted roasted sweet potatoes as a veg option for their meal, but wanted it quick, easy and ready to go (yes, couldn't be bothered with the 5 minutes it takes to peel and cut a couple sweet potatoes at the time they wanted it.)

Boil the sweet potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes. Fill a large stockpot with water and boil it over high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until tender.
  • You need to cook the sweet potatoes before you can freeze them, as raw sweet potatoes tend to break down and lose both flavor and nutrients in the freezer.
  • Boiling is the preferred method of cooking sweet potatoes for freezer storage. The boiling process should take about 20 minutes for a standard-size sweet potato.

Let cool. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool before storing them.
  • Freezing the sweet potatoes while warm can cause cause condensation to build in the container, causing them to spoil sooner.

Picking Potatoes

Available from mid-fall to mid-winter, sweet potatoes are best in season. These tips will help you make the most of sweet potatoes:

• They don't store as well as white potatoes, so enjoy them within a week of purchasing.
  • Choose sweet potatoes that are firm, with unwrinkled skin and no bruises or soft spots.
  • Store in a cool, dry place in a container that's open to the air.
  • Don't refrigerate raw sweet potatoes, or they will develop a hard core and their flavor will deteriorate.

19511.jpg

•  

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/CFS-SP-1A.pdf

To freeze sweet potatoes, follow these steps:

1. Wash the potatoes and cook them until almost 
tender. 
2. Peel after cooking. 
3. To prevent the darkening that occurs in freezing, 
dip the sweet potato into a solution of 1/2 cup 
lemon juice or 1 tablespoon citric acid in 1 quart 
of water. Two teaspoons of orange or lemon 
juice may be added to each quart of mashed 
sweet potatoes. 
4. Pack sweet potatoes, leaving ,inch headroom. 
5. If desired, a light sugar syrup (¥2 to 3A cup 
sugar dissolved in 4 cups water) may be added to 
whole or sliced sweet potatoes before freezing. 
6. Seal and freeze. 

Why do they peel them?  I bake mine whole and bake a few at a time.. The skin is delicious by the way.

This is how this person wanted them.  :)  (I agree with you, CaGirl, I enjoy the skin.)

You need to cook the sweet potatoes before you can freeze them, as raw sweet potatoes tend to break down and lose both flavor and nutrients in the freezer.

Thanks Meadow, that answers my question.

• 3 weeks later...

Note that you can successfully freeze sweet potato puree (works for puree of most winter squashes, too) in quart-sized zippered freezer bags. 

Then, it's easy to yank a couple of them out of the freezer, warm them in a pan or micro and then add coconut milk, salt, pepper, chili powder and clarified butter.

Good for body and soul!  (And they'll be available even when the fresh ones are out of season!)

Archived