Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce

motovilova

Hi!

My coworker and I are doing our first Whole30 together.  He bought the Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce and made some cauliflower rice with it.  The teriyaki sauce is from the same company that makes the coconut aminos everyone uses.  The ingredients list "coconut sap" as the first ingredient, but so do the aminos, so I wasn't sure if it would be compliant or not.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

On the front of the Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce it reads, "Sweetened with Coconut Nectar". The ingredient list is the same as what's already posted above: coconut sap, not coconut nectar. Are sap and nectar the same thing?

I am about 99.9999999% sure that they are the same thing. I think the purveyors of the Coconut Secret brand decided "nectar" sounded more elegant than "sap."

Actually coconut nectar is not compliant, per the Whole30 sneaky sugars guidehttp://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf

Actually coconut nectar is not compliant, per the Whole30 sneaky sugars guidehttp://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf

So would the teriyaki not be compliant? LIke I said, it's confusing because the ingredients list coconut sap and on the front it says sweetened with coconut nectar. 

OK now I'm not sure about this product. I have and use it, and don't see coconut nectar in the ingredients list. (Also, I clearly missed this as a sneaky sugar, sorry!)

At the end of the day, coconut nectar/sap/sugar... not a miracle food.    It is very similar to regular table sugar,   although the manufacturing process is more natural and it also contains some minor amounts of nutrients to go with it.  GFChris is correct, it's not for a Whole 30.     It is slightly “less bad” than regular sugar, but definitely not something you should eat.   Coconut sugar is in the same boat as honey.  It is healthier than refined sugar, but definitely worse than no sugar at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived