'plates' fail

LisaLulu

So I had great success with well fed's chicken thighs earlier in the week, we loved having a go to protein source always on hand to mix and match meals with. Today I tried the ground beef... did an Asian stir fry. UGH!! So gross. Maybe it's just me but ground beef only works in things like pasta sauce, chili, cabbage rolls, ect. I'm going to stick to flank steak or grilled chicken for stir fries!!!

• Moderators

Now I have 6 pounds of cooked ground beef in my fridge too. I guess it's pasta sauce and chili the next few days lol.

You can freeze part of that. I like to have some precooked ground beef in serving-size containers in my freezer for days when recipes don't work out, or I'm running late and didn't plan ahead and need something I can grab and take with me to heat up at lunch, or when I just flat out can't stand the thought of cooking another meal.

Of course, I also actually like ground beef, and for just me, most weeks I go through about 2 lbs of it, usually just cooked with some chopped onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. I'll heat it up and put it on a salad and add pickles and tomatoes and mushrooms and onions and maybe some roasted sweet potatoes, top it all with a mix of mayo and mustard, and think of it as a hamburger salad.

Another thing I like, that isn't exactly stir-fry but is just as easy to cook -- I throw a bunch of veggies like zucchini and yellow squash and spinach, whatever I have that sounds good, some pre-cooked ground beef, and some coconut milk in the skillet, and let it simmer until it's hot all the way through and the veggies are done. For seasoning, I usually add some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The coconut milk makes it sort of creamy and it reminds me a bit of something like a stroganoff. If you use veggies that will take longer to cook, obviously, start them before everything else so they get cooked all the way through.

I've also made creamy soups, and heated up ground beef and stirred it into the soup for my protein.

I like to use ground beef in Shepard's pie. Put the ground beef in the bottom of a baking dish (i actually use a glass loaf pan because there are just two of us) add a little compliant chicken stock or bone broth. Add sauteed mushrooms or compliant canned mushrooms. Add some leftover veggies like green beans, broccoli, onions etc. Top with mashed potatoes. I add chicken stock to make the potatoes creamy, you can also add ghee to the potatoes. Bake for 15 - 20 min until heated through. You can also add compliant Mexican spices and then make taco salads. Enjoy!

Archived