Starting October 1st

AshChristensen

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there, I'm starting the Whole30 in October 1st as well.

Eating Primal for the past 18 months has helped me lose 16 kg ( sorry, don't know the lbs since I'm from Holland and we're metric. :) )

Lately I've been eating to much non-primal stuff and I need a new start.

I signed up for the daily mails and hope to get support from here aswell.

Reading all these posts I find myself and my reasons in nearly all of them . Eat a very healthy Paleo diet all day every day but .... Every night I eat crap .. Not going to name names but it's making me feel ill . I wake up feeling sick and still tired . Soooo I did a while 30 in May and thought I was over my sugar addiction for good I felt great !! Starting tomorrow good luck .

Hey everyone!

I already started yesterday (no time like the present!) so I'm a day or so ahead, but great to see so many people starting this now!  

Is there a way we can all keep in touch, maybe head posts on the Forum with 'Oct 1st starters' or something like that? Be great to be able to keep each other motivated and discuss how it's going.

So far, I am loving it! I didn't eat too badly before, or so I thought, so my meals have not really changed a huge amount (except breakfast was grains and dairy), but I am SHOCKED by how much sugar is in everything! Ingredients I would have happily cooked with before are now off limits, so having to be creative (while I wait for my coconut aminos to arrive from Amazon - health food shops here in London had never even heard of it! And try asking for a soy sauce substitute without any soy in it, you get some funny looks!), but my fridge is full of vegetables and goodness and even only 5 meals in, everything has been delicious.

Pinterest has been massively helpful for recipes - have my entire first week planned out and shopped for. Am also subjecting the three 20-something guys in my house to the Whole30 with me, and have been surprised by how well they are embracing the idea - maybe starting with bacon and egg baked sweet potatoes for breakfast yesterday got them on board! I was certainly the envy of my office!

I am sure it is wishful thinking, but I've been having really bad sleep problems the last week or so, but last night I slept great. Must be coincidence, I don't think I can be feeling the effects so quickly, but a great encouragement anyway!

Looking forward to hearing how you all get on tomorrow! Let's do this!

I've also decided to start on October 1st. I've attempted many Whole30's but haven't been able to make it past day 20 (always seems like some event comes up that I can't avoid, i.e. wedding, bachelorette party, vacation... Anyways, I'm really excited to start again and this time, make it all the way!

Hello. I did my first on Sept 1 and today is my last day. I am restarting and hope for my daughter and her hubby to join this. I started with my sister-in-law and we are on opposite coasts. That was and is a great buddy system. I really plan to be as true to plan on this (things like no snacks, no weigh ins (had several dr app't and naturally they have to weigh you and yes I peeked) This link is great to explaining that as to whether to restart or not. http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

I love this plan and caution everyone to not call it a diet. Immediately your support from others gets minimized. Such as uh oh here we go again or just use moderation or the best one is exercise more. Please rent the movie called 'Fed Up' with Katie Couric narrating. That will make you NOT want to touch sugar and hunker down on this plan. Key point to all this is: It is only 30 days and then you are in a wonderful place of making mental choices and not emotional choices.

When you get weak and ready to abandon, please stop and pick up your book It starts with food and just read a few sections. It is amazing how it helps you get past the hunger you think you are experiencing. What everyone tells you if you are suffering with hunger pains is to eat more. That is a hard one to overcome. It goes against our every mental concept. But is also says to eat more combo's together. Don't just grab an apple to power thru

Also document in this forum what your struggles are. You are not alone

Ok! Everyone ready??? What's your plan for meals 1,2, & 3 tomorrow?

I'm planning on starting my day with one of my favorites....sauted peppers, onions and spiralized zucchini with a big cooked burger crumbled up and tossed in, sprinkle some homemade fajita seasoning and then top with some organic Wholly guacamole. I'll probably have a banana with some almond butter and a sprinkle of coconut on the side because I have a late lunch hour. Breakfast is normally at 6 am and I don't eat lunch till 1, so I need that extra with my meal 1. Meal 2 will be a baked sweet potato (baked a couple on Sunday) with a cup of chocolate chili from the well fed cookbook and some guacamole on top....one of my favorite lunches! I make a batch of the chili and freeze in 1 cup containers - then I can just grab and toss in my lunch box. I'll probably take some pepper strips and cucumbers to nosh on with lunch. Meal 3 will be hamburger cooked up with lots of onions and garlic, then I add a bag of coleslaw mix and when that's cooked down I'll add some homemade paleo catsup and salt and pepper. Tastes like stuffed cabbage! If I need more, I'll have an apple with some almond butter.

For you newbies.....journal! Find a notebook, weigh (and measure ) yourself tomorrow morning and write down what you eat at each meal and how you are feeling. It will be so valuable to look back over the next few weeks! I'm going to pull my journal from my first whole 30 and add to it.....and see how I felt each day on my first whole 30 journey.

Hi, can I join your group?

I have done a couple of Whole30s before. Always mean to stay eating that way but my obsession with coffee and cake (always a duo) seems to takes over. Hoping to stick with this one most of the way to Christmas but certainly a good, compliant 31 days during October. 

Wasn't planning to but I got up this morning (in UK) and plated up some salad greens, fresh mayo, avocado and bacon and egg muffins and I am away!! 

Planning on Well Fed's Moroccan Lamb Balls with Cauliflower Pilaf for supper. Lunch will be awkward so may just be some fruit and nuts - but as I wasn't planning to start today I am not going to beat myself up about that. Tomorrow will be perfect :)

I may be the only guy on this thread, but count me in as well! Looking forward to blocking out everything else and committing to this program for at least the next 30 days. I have a horrible sugar addiction that needs to be tackled, and I know this program works as it has done before. Day one almost finished!

Hi there!  I finished a Whole 105 on September 20th. I'm jumping back on today, and needed group accountability to stay on track.

I had AMAZING success with Whole 30. My husband also did it with me, and he will jump back on board again, I think. I lost 27 pounds, but more importantly, kicked the mental obsession with food.  Last weekend I celebrated my birthday with pizza, wine, and ice cream.  Yes, I'm up a couple of pounds, but more troubling is that the food obsession is creeping back. I have felt so amazing this summer, that I'm not willing to go back.

So here I am with all of you!  Best of luck on day 1!

I found the best success with my Whole30 journey was not doing any negotiating whatsoever. If I'm on plan, I'm on. Not a little of this or a little of that.

That's the word for today :)

Morning all! It's today! (official start anyway, got a 2 day headstart already!)

Menu for today: chorizo scotch eggs, butternut squash and carrot soup with scrambled eggs on side (random I know, using up leftover soup!), moroccan shepherds pie topped with mashed cauliflower with guacamole on the side and roasted carrots. Probably the least inventive day of food I have had so far, but looking forward to all of it!

So far am doing totally fine - hardest thing I thought would be giving up frothy milky coffee with sweetener (on a daily basis, hardest sole thing is giving up booze for me) but have slipped into the coconut milk coffee thing really easily! 

How is everyone else doing on day 1?! 

Anna, I have yet to do a shepherds pie with mashed cauliflower- I've made it with mashed sweet potatoes and love it that way(usually make the other half with regular potatoes for the hubby- that was before they changed and allowed white potatoes). But I've always wanted to try the mashed cauliflower. I have one in my fridge so that might be something for dinner tonight! Usually I just roast the florets.

Day 2 here in Australia. We are a bit ahead timezone wise which is frustrating when receiving the Whole30 dailys but oh well!

Day 1 went surprisingly well. Had a bit of a hectic busy day so had to eat a lot of 'on the run' foods (boiled eggs, tinned tuna, soup) but I got in my veg, protein and fats and didn't feel overly hungry considering how STRESSED I was. 

Day 2 has started with sweet potato hash with 3 fried eggs and some tomato and avocado salsa :)

Lunch will be a mixed green salad with tuna and pecans and dinner will be turkey bolognese with sauteed zuchinni. 

Clarabelle; mashed cauliflower tastes EXACTLY like mashed potato. I haven't eaten mashed potato in years and I don't even miss it.

Nazza B - what recipe do you use for turkey bolognese? Would love to find a yummy one!

I don't really use a recipe, I just experiment. But I pretty much use ground turkey, a can of diced tomato (check the labels for no added sugar or preservatives), half a jar of tomato paste (same with the labels), diced onion, a few cloves of garlic and some grated carrot and zuchinni. You can also add some mixed herbs to kick it up a notch and bay leaf. Yum!

Oh and I cook it all up in ghee

Hi!  I'm starting today, too!  This is my third start - hopefully second completion!  I started one and didn't make it all the way through... but learned a lot about myself because of that!  The second one went great.  I'd like to be better at eating the right size meals so I don't snack as much.  I'm breastfeeding right now and get really hungry, so I want to give myself grace for that... but grace, not an excuse : )  So I want to do it again to get my meals down better.  Clarabelle, NazzaB, and others - your meals contents / sizes are super helpful for me!  I think it *feels* like a lot of food when I eat, but then later I realize it wasn't : )  I love y'all's enthusiasm and creativity for your meals. Thank you for sharing!!  We're also going through some pretty stressful stuff, and it's honestly easier to be on the Whole 30 and not have to think about if I'm eating off-road foods in moderation or for stress or whatever.  And it helps me deal with the stress when I am well nourished... which helps me be well rested... which helps all this be more manageable.  Looking forward to Whole30-ing with y'all!!

Menu for today: chorizo scotch eggs, butternut squash and carrot soup with scrambled eggs on side (random I know, using up leftover soup!), moroccan shepherds pie topped with mashed cauliflower with guacamole on the side and roasted carrots. Probably the least inventive day of food I have had so far, but looking forward to all of it!

This is least inventive? Wow, can't wait to see what else you come up with. :)

Day one for me. Breakfast - 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with raspberries and blackberries. Lunch was leftover steak and homemade sweet potato fries. Dinner was coconut chicken soup and beef curry.

There's ice cream in the fridge I really want, but I will have a cup of hot tea instead. Hope everyone else had a great day one!

Yay!  I started today too!  I don't know if its detox mode or what, but super super bloated today.  :-( 

Probably not good that I skipped breakfast cause I was late for work...it's now 9pm and I'm hungry.  Trying to figure out what to eat now.  (Normally this is my sweets / dessert time.)

It's going to be a loooong 30 days, but I am optimistic!

Nat

Archived