Starting October 1st

AshChristensen

Starting my first Whole 30, or should I say started my whole 30 today! I've done paleo in the past and I've contemplated doing Whole 30 before, but now is my chance! I just started my first teaching job and all of September I was in a bad cycle of poor eating choices. I am ready to get my eating habits back in check and focus on real food! Now that I've got this teaching thing down a bit. ;)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! Starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow (October 2nd-- a later start than the rest of you). I'm currently in school and have gained a significant amount of weight from stress eating, etc. I'm looking to regain a healthy relationship with food so I'm very excited about this challenge and a fresh start! Looking for all the support that I can get!!  :) 

Well I started my first whole 30 today. I've been eating paleo for a few months so I hope the transition won't be bad. I will miss my 90 percent square of chocolate in the evenings, but I am hoping to really start feeling better. Just eating paleo hasn't been enough. Not gonna lie, I'd like to lose weight too.

butternut squash and carrot soup with scrambled eggs on side (random I know, using up leftover soup!), 

I like to poach an egg/eggs in the soup as i reheat it - the runny yolk breaking into the soup is fab.

It's Day 2 here in the UK.  Feeling very achy and tired today which I am not surprised about given the amount of sugar I consumed in September. (Two and a half week holiday in Scotland with shortbread, fudge, fresh bread, cakes, sugary drinks etc.)

Day 2 Food

Breakfast - salad leaves, egg and bacon 'muffin', half an avocado, sliced apple, mayo

Lunch - leftover Moroccan meatballs with tomatoes and cucumber slices

Dinner - pulled pork and shredded turkey (both in the slow cooker together at the moment) with cauli rice stir fry. 

Drinks - water, black coffee and rooibos tea. 

Exercise - a gentle walk around Aldi for some veggies and some non-Whole30 stuff for hubby. Oh yea - and a Halloween costume too as that's their Thursday offer this week. I am a walking tour guide in Exeter and want a skeleton dress to wear when we do the Spooks and Broomsticks walk on 31 October. 

Have a great Day 2 :)

Meals today- sweet potato hash with 3 fried eggs

Chicken, cabbage, broccoli, carrots red peppers with 'sunshine sauce'

Not sure what meal 3 will be...need to go take some meat out of the freezer, but I do have a head of cauliflower that needs to be used soon...it's going to be cold, so turning the oven on and roasting it sounds pretty good. The hard part for me is making dinners that I can eat but that my hubby will eat also (I usually modify a bit for him - as he is not on board with my whole30). I don't like to make two seperate meals so try harder to make a protein, baked potato (sweet for me) and some veggies. Too bad the weather has turned and grilling season looks like it's passed us now.....

Well, have a great day 2 everyone! Can't wait to see what you are eating as it gives me some great ideas and I certainly need some new ideas!

Morning all! Day 4 now for me (woah!) and all going great!

Today's menu: carrot, courgette and bacon hash with fried eggs, broccoli and spinach soup (this is AMAZING! Found the recipe on Pinterest and cannot wait for lunch but still way too full from eating breakfast late!) and tonight will be having thai red turkey curry with courghetti. Nom.

I'm really finding we are eating some delicious meals - this has got me being more inventive again with my cookery, which is great! Thought I was quite varied before, but now I look at it, not so much! Last night's moroccan cottage pie (used beef not lamb mince!) was a huge hit in my house, even the guy who hates all vegetables and 'foreign-tasting' food (a challenge cooking for him, I can tell you!) loved it, despite it being full of sweet potato, carrots, mushrooms, peppers and being topped with cauli mash (he didn't notice the difference!).

And last night, for the first time in aaaages, I slept almost as soon as my head hit the pillow and didn't wake until my alarm. Felt so refreshed.

Only thing not going great is the coffee - having it with coconut milk was okay the first couple of days, but now I am finding I am really struggling with it, I almost feel queasy afterwards! Anyone else find this? I might have to just have it black!

Here's to a good day 2 (4!) :-)

Starting my 2nd W30! Started yesterday, last one was in August and it was great! Crazy tough in the beginning, but hold fast and you'll be so glad you did! Busyness and stress w/ the start of the school year (I homeschool my 3 children) made september difficult but I'm back and ready for round two! I did start yesterday and spent a good chunk of time stocking my fridge and pantry. Driving out to my favorite grassed farm for enough meat to hopefully last all month, and then to the grocery for staples. 

My goals for this month:

1) Eat clean on my super strict budget, which means

2) Don't let anything go to waste

3) Try new foods/recipes

4) Work on some sauce/dressing recipes. The first time around I kept everything pretty plain, now I'm ready to kick up the flavor a notch. 

5) I'm also doing the LuRong Paleo Challenge with my crossfit box, there's a few foods on each side that are allowed on one and not the other, so I'll be a little more restrictive. Of course I'll be getting my workouts in (which I barely worked out at all during my last w30), but between the two this should be fun!

6) Last goal- finish ISWF book! It's SO GOOD but I have yet (thanks to school) to finish it! 

Reflections for round 2

I hope/have a feeling I haven't completely undone what I accomplished in August in terms of slaying the sugar dragon. I've had sugar, I've had dairy, I've had stuff here and there, but I don't feel like I'll have the withdrawals that I experienced the first round. I still have much of the tiger blood energy, (I became a morning person during w30!) but I could tell if I slipped up much more that would be on its way out the door. I really loved everything I got from my first round- I just want to encourage everyone- it's tough but worth it, the benefits vary depending on the person, you might find benefits that you never thought of or linked to what you ate- I did! By far the best reward is how empowered you feel at the end of the month- you are breaking that dependency on unhealthy foods and reclaiming control over your body! Be blessed!

My stats so far:

June 23 - Sept 1 (9 weeks). Paleo 90/10. 10 lbs

Sept 1 - Sept 30 (4 weeks) 1st Whole30 10 lbs

Oct 1 - (Now into Whole60)

TBD Reintroduction

Non Scale Victories (NSV)

Type 2 diabetes managed and reducing insulin (average blood sugar levels between 92 - 115)

Heart medications:

Blood pressure medicine dose cut in 1/2

No longer take diuretics and Potassium pills

Trying to eliminate statins (doctors and I disagree) for cholesterol

Mental/Physical changes

No longer snore

Growing fingernails (plus don't bite)

Increased energy (started around week 4 during W30)

Like being in kitchen and preparing food (am not a cook...so this is huge)

Starting to de-clutter

Willing to share my weight stories (formerly never talked about it)

Don't seem to have autoimmune issues as so many do. This plan has some miraculous success stories for those who do. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-13514/how-conventional-medicine-got-autoimmune-diseases-all-wrong.html

Bottom Line: This Eating plan is something that I can totally buy into and it makes mental and emotional sense.

Go team!!! We are in it to win it

Hi! I'm new but I started yesterday so I'm on day 2! It hasn't been bad but I can tell that I need to prepare myself for the weekend. I have two sabotagers in my house so it's difficult to get rid of the noncomplaint foods.

It hasn't been too bad these past two days besides headaches which I'm sure is fun the sugar intake.

Any breastfeeding mommas out there on whole30? How did it effect your supply? I have a 7 going on 8 month old and I am slightly afraid my supply may dip.

Is there anyway we could share recipes? I think my hardest point is condiments! I loved ketchup...even though it is full of sugar.

I'll be following closely so that I don't slip up. So far you guys motivate me to keep going! :D  :D

Is there anyway we could share recipes? I think my hardest point is condiments! I loved ketchup...even though it is full of sugar.

I mix a can of tomato paste, garlic powder, smoked paprika and a little chilli powder. Put on a low heat and simmer with a lid on for about twenty minutes. The steam will loosen the mixture. This makes a good ketchup. Play around with the seasonings until you get something you are happy with. 

Day3: less head-achy today  :)  have discovered that a baked kumera (sweet potato) is the key!

My partner was drinking wine last night & I had a sniff... revolting! and my coffee habit has gone, I went straight to black coffee 5 days ago & have progressively made it weaker & weaker, now I don't even want it... boiled water & green tea is my go to.

I miss yoghurt  :(

Sharyn, I'm going to have to try cooking the catsup....mine tastes good but the consistency is off. I added cider vinegar and water and spices...now I'm going to try and cook it and see if that helps.

Dinner was so good tonight! Garlic chicken legs - so easy, just brown some chicken legs, put in a baking pan, peel one whole head of garlic and break into cloves and peel them and strew them around the legs and then add about a cup of chicken broth. Cover with foiled and bake at 350 - after about 35-45 minutes, remove the foil and turn the legs. When then are done...falling off the bone, remove from the oven and - this is the important part - pour all the juice and the garlic cloves into a saucepan and bring to a boil...mash the garlic cloves up into the sauce and boild about 5-10 minutes or until it's reduced to a nice glaze. Pour over the legs and serve. (These freeze wonderfully if you make a batch and want to freeze some for a later meal). While they were in the oven I also put in a butternut squash and some roasted cauliflower. (Made some mashed taters for the hubby). I like doing my whole 30 when we can eat the same meal with just a few modifications.

I'd love to hear what some of you cook...I'm always looking for new ideas.

Day 2! Felt good today. :)

Breakfast was leftover coconut milk soup and beef curry. Lunch was a burger patty with sweet potatoes and guacamole. Dinner was sauteed veggies with pork sausage and roasted tomatoes.

My daughter and I also had a great  workout at our local 9 Round.

Looking forward to Day 3!

Day 2 was also good for me! Yesterday I had a terrible headache because I didn't drink pop, so today I had some tea and that held off the headache. I made a stir fry with coconut aminos, ground beef and lots of veggies and not only was it tasty, but really pretty - lots of color! My kids and hubby liked it too. I also received in the mail several spices i ordered from Savory Spice Shop - cant wait to try some of them out! I'm so excited for this journey!

I started also for the first time on Whole30. My 18yr old daughter and I (52) are doing this. I am missing chocolate, ... and a bit of sugar cravings. There are 5 skinny young people that live in our house along with us and I mostly do the cooking. A challenge. There are cereals and all sort of delicious yummies. So it takes lots of will power. And, then there are the beautiful wines that they drink.

However, I can do this. I started running 10 weeks ago. Could only do 7 mins at a time but recently I completed an event that was 7kms and I got through it without stopping in 49 mins. So, I know that I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

Good luck everyone.

Liz

Hi everyone. 

It's another gorgeous day in Devon UK - we have had THE MOST stunning September and now October this year. Warm enough to sit outside in just a T shirt to eat my lunch. 

Day 3 is going well and the carb fog of yesterday has mostly gone although my legs feel heavy still. Been a busy bee in the kitchen this morning cooking up a load of egg based muffin and tarts for lunches. Hubby suggested cutting down on the bread he takes to work so he now has one round (2 slices) of sandwiches and something savoury from my stash. I doubt I'll ever wean him off bread completely but this is a good move.  :wub:

Day 3 food:

B rocket, prawns, mayo

L 2 sausage and 2 prawn egglets (egg tarts), tomato, cucumber, Greek potato salad, mayo. 

D still got some grated cauli left so it will be a prawn stir fry - just for me as himself will be at Scouts and needs something packed up to take with him. 

Exercise - not much, just cooking and cleaning and a mountain of associated washing up. 

Have a great day :)

First three days went great. I think the primal eating helped a lot in preparing for this.

Meal 1 today, chicken/zucchini patties with home made guacamole.

Meal 2, turkey, cauliflower and green beans curry, which I made yesterday evening. It tasted great, so glad nobody else likes curry, so it's all mine:)

Meal 3, beef köftes with a mixed salad, guacamole and sweet potato/parsnip purée.

Drank 2 litres of water and no snacks! Looking forward to a lot of cooking and preparing food for next week, saves a lot of time and keeps me from eating the wrong things.

I take pictures of my meals and place them on Instagram, if you want to take a look, kaatje64 is my account name

Archived