Starbucks Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher

kedamak

I'm not a coffee drinker so generally speaking coffee is a non-issue for me. However, I tried this drink and liked it but wondered if it was okay during my Whole30. I am on day 14 and feeling great overall. I'm not interested in having a setback of any kind so I thought I would ask just to be sure. Thanks!

Hey! I work for Starbucks, so I know for sure that it isn't W30 approved. Although the sugar content is relatively low compared to a lot of the other Starbucks drinks, it does still contain quite a bit of added sugar. I really like drinking unsweetened passion tea from Starbucks, for something fruity and refreshing, and W30 approved!

Hey! I work for Starbucks, so I know for sure that it isn't W30 approved. Although the sugar content is relatively low compared to a lot of the other Starbucks drinks, it does still contain quite a bit of added sugar. I really like drinking unsweetened passion tea from Starbucks, for something fruity and refreshing, and W30 approved!

Thanks so much for the insider information. I suspected it wasn't Whole30 approved but appreciate the confirmation. I tried the passion fruit tea, I didn't quite like it but it's okay I don't have to have any iced tea during this process. Thanks again for the info

I make big jugs of iced tea at home from my favorite herbal tea -- Yogi Egyptian Licorice. It sooo tastes like it is sweetened, but it's not (thank goodness). I can fill up my big water bottle with a bunch of ice cubes and tea and it lasts me all morning. Mmmm.

post-2493-0-18574200-1345332328_thumb.gi

I make big jugs of iced tea at home from my favorite herbal tea -- Yogi Egyptian Licorice. It sooo tastes like it is sweetened, but it's not (thank goodness). I can fill up my big water bottle with a bunch of ice cubes and tea and it lasts me all morning. Mmmm.

Ann, that sounds good. Where do you buy it?

• 3 weeks later...

So glad you posted this!!! I asked Starbucks about it and the woman insisted it was no sugar, just fruit, and I took one sip and could already tell she was wrong. I made her show me the box it came from and second ingredient was sugar!!!! I didn't get bummed though because I was a) so proud of my taste buds for noticing!, and B) I was so enamoured by the passion tea tasting like a pure treat that I practically skipped like a schoolgirl outta the place! ;)

• 7 months later...

When you order iced tea at Starbucks (or any iced beverage I have found) you must specifically ask for it to be unsweetened or they add simple syrup to it. Even then you need to be careful. I ordered an unsweetened iced coffee once, drove away from the drive through, took a sip, and had to turn right back around.

Starbucks iced tea doesn't come sweetened here in the UK. (we don't have the classic syrup to sweeten it with) Granted, you'd be lucky to find a barista who knows how to sell you an iced tea. (or an iced coffee)

We don't sell the lemonade drinks here so I don't know what goes into them, but when you go back ask to see the ingredients on the lemonade itself. With sweetened/unsweetened they're asking if you want the classic sugar syrup added to the drink. So what you need to clarify is if the lemonade already has some sort of sweetener in it.

• 1 year later...

I went today and there is a passion fruit lemonade which is different from just plain unsweetened passion tea. I had to keep saying unsweetened...I think they got it because it wasn't as sweet as yesterday.

Yes, the lemonade doese have sugar in it. I've found that some Starbucks baristas think that unsweetened just means "don't add simple syrup." They don't always make the connection that the lemonade or product might already have sugar in it. 

I don't trust Starbucks at all. It is super difficult to get any ingredient information from them, even in the case of allergens. Their responses are very vague and their employees are not informed enough to answer accurately. I'll never forget my interview... (corporate, not branch), when my interviewer stated, "we don't sell anything that doesn't contain at least one addictive ingredient " ::chuckle chuckle::

http://foodbabe.com/2014/08/25/starbucks-pumpkin-spice-latte/

Bought a box of this tea today on your recommendation, and it is *incredible*! So rich and sweet-tasting. I had to double check the ingredients to make sure there was nothing suspicious. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 years later...

Archived