Natural VANILLA flavors

AriRodriguez56

Hello, I know there are posts already about whether "natural flavors" are compliant with whole 30 but I was just about to eat a veggie/fruit squeezable and I just noticed the ingredients list stated, "natural vanilla flavors." Is this compliant? I'm worried it's not because vanilla could be a sugar and even though it doesn't say "vanilla extract" it could be a source of sugar. I'm hoping to finally get a confirmation on this since I tried looking on other threads and it wasn't fully confirmed. THANKS!

• Moderators

The typical problem with vanilla is alcohol, not sugar. Most vanilla extracts are suspended in alcohol. Some are suspended in glycerine - a sugar alcohol.

I would not worry about natural vanilla flavor in this context. That said, we never imagined people squeezing their veggies or fruit out of a slick, foil package when the Whole30 was conceived. While what you are describing is technically compliant, what we really want you to do is shop for your veggies at a farmer's market or the produce section of a grocery store and focus your eating on real, whole foods. 

• 5 months later...

Every Paleo recipe I find the involves almond or coconut flour has vanilla in the ingredients list. What do you use to replace?

On a Whole30, baked Paleo treats are not allowed, which likely makes this question moot.

• Administrators

Every Paleo recipe I find the involves almond or coconut flour has vanilla in the ingredients list. What do you use to replace?

Vanilla extract or powders can be replaced by using the actual vanilla bean. But wait.

What sort of recipes are you looking at? Breading meats or using the flours as thickeners or binders wouldn't require vanilla. The only thing that I can think of that would take nut flours and vanilla would be "paleo" baked goods which would be 100% NOT compliant.

From the Can I Have Guide:

Almond Flour: Yes

Yes, you can have almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and other non-grain-based flours, but it’s context-dependent. You can use it in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs, to dredge a piece of chicken, or to thicken a sauce or stew. You may not use it for Paleo baking—to make muffins, pancakes, bread, cupcakes, cookies, waffles, biscuits, tortillas, pizza crust, or anything of that nature. We call those recipes Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) foods, and they are expressly off-limits during your Whole30.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.lrjJ5hiw.dpuf

• Administrators

There seems to be breakfast items on Whole 30 that are made with almond flour ...

Not everything that you see online tagged as "Whole30" actually is. Trust the books (It Starts with Food and the new The Whole30), the Whole30 website and the moderators on this forum. There are a lot of things that folks *could* make that use compliant ingredients but the fact is, those items are against the rules.

Check out the Can I Have Guide and the Rules linked in my signature below.

There seems to be breakfast items on Whole 30 that are made with almond flour ...

If you google Whole30 breakfast and follow the links that bring you here to these forums (in other words, don't go to random non-Whole30 sites), you will find a whole new world (cue Disney song) opening up to you. Whole30 breakfasts are generally renamed Meal One. You get to eat what you want, provided it meets Whole30 requirements - so no baked goods of any description, no pancakes of any description, no paleo granola, none of that stuff.  You DO get to eat:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein. For eggs, eat the whole egg. A serving of eggs is how many you can hold in your had, for most people that's 3-4.

2 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat.

3. 1-3 cups of vegetables.

Once you understand that, the world is your oyster. Breakfast is anything that tastes good and is good for you. Eat up!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived