Macronutrient ratio

I just finished ISWF and I didn't see any reference on the ratio of protein/fat/carbs. I am only Day 18 of whole30. I am a 46 yo female, petite frame. I have done the LC lifestyle with 50/40/10. should I stick to this ratio? 145 lbs, needing to drop about 20 lbs and my current lab work shows cholesterol and blood glucose is in healthy range.

I am worried that I am over consuming the fat, generally hitting close to 70%. Mainly on days that I enjoy my bulletproof coffee in the mornings. i get lots of non-starchy veggies in during the day. I get my fat from good qualiy hormone free meats, CO oil, olive oil, butter. It's hard to find grass fed beef locally or at a price I can afford. Other than ground bison, i tend to buy organic, leaner cuts to avoid too much of the bad saturated fats.

should I continue and not worry about it or should i re-evaluate my fat intake and drop it back down? i know my protein seems low but i am consuming about 1400-1600 cal per day average (low activity), and my carbs are mostly veggies.

anyone sticking to a particular ratio or just "eye balling it"?

• Moderators

Stop what you are doing! Counting calories and calculating ratios is not the Whole30 way. Follow the meal planning template - protein the size of the palm of your hand, fat about as much as your thumb, and fill the rest of the plate with veggies. Eat at least 3 meals per day, more if you are hungry. Not only does calculating ratios and calories make you nuts, it keeps you from learning to listen to your body. And it stops you from learning to trust the process which is so vitally important. If you are worried that you are eating too much fat, create a food log here on the forum and invite feedback.

• 2 years later...

I am a 46 yo female, petite frame. 145 lbs, needing to drop about 20 lbs and my current lab work shows cholesterol and blood glucose is in healthy range.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to drop 20lbs, and if you want to, counting calories and macros is definitely not the sustainable way to do it. The whole30 is not just another diet. It is a way of eating that tries to teach you to listen to your body and give it optimal nutrition. No macro counter or calorie counter is as good as your own body at telling you what you need at a given moment, it just takes time to quiet down the noise of a typical person's eating habits and lifestyle to get to that place.

Your current lab work shows cholesterol and blood glucose in a healthy range. Your weight is probably healthy or possibly low, actually, depending on your height and muscle mass. Are you able to do what you want to do? Do you feel strong and capable in your body? Are your emotions stable, is your skin clear? Do you have a libido for your partner and a clear mind for your chosen work? If all of these are true, I'm guessing the biggest and best non-scale victory you could get from the whole30 is freedom from counting and weighing and tracking. Give yourself that gift.

• 1 year later...

I understand what everyone is saying about not calculating (and frankly, I have no interest in doing that!!)....but I have to admit, I have wondered the same thing as grmochamom. I am on Day 25 and honestly, I am not feeling any different than before I started (very disappointing since I have a few friends who had great success on Whole 30). I have had absolutely NO off-plan foods but I am wondering if maybe I was not balancing my meals out enough. I do tend to lean towards potatoes, which I know are a starchy veg (have at least one a day, sometimes two). I do eat the green stuff, too but probably not enough. Could this factor be sabotaging my efforts?

I have also had major digestive issues just about every day while on W30 (the running to the bathroom variety)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Coopergirl said:

I understand what everyone is saying about not calculating (and frankly, I have no interest in doing that!!)....but I have to admit, I have wondered the same thing as grmochamom. I am on Day 25 and honestly, I am not feeling any different than before I started (very disappointing since I have a few friends who had great success on Whole 30). I have had absolutely NO off-plan foods but I am wondering if maybe I was not balancing my meals out enough. I do tend to lean towards potatoes, which I know are a starchy veg (have at least one a day, sometimes two). I do eat the green stuff, too but probably not enough. Could this factor be sabotaging my efforts?

I have also had major digestive issues just about every day while on W30 (the running to the bathroom variety)

Hi Coopergirl;

I've answered your other post so we can trouble shoot over there instead of this year old thread :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2016 at 2:19 PM, Coopergirl said:

Have you connected with a functional medicine provider? It sounds like there may be an underlying medical issue causing your bathroom troubles. 

Archived