Christmas presents

leahcarn

I'd like to get my mother a cookbook for Christmas, to make this whole "my daughter doesn't eat normal food" thing easier for her.

My reintroductions are making it look like I do have issues with quite a few of the high fodmap foods, so I'm looking for a paleo cookbook with a high percentage of low fodmap recipes, and for the low fodmap ones to be marked.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I don't have this one yet, but from what I understand, they worked hard to indicate which recipes worked for various restrictions and to give substitutions where possible. Diane Sanfilippo (Practical Paleo) is a co-author: http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Paleo-Cooking-Gluten-Free-Lifestyle/dp/1628600403

Yes...I have it and every recipe has a table in the bottom that indicates if it is nut-free, egg-free, low FODMAPS, AIP-Friendly, SCD/GAPS, and lower carb. Where they are not it recommends adjustments you can make if that is possible. 

I've not cooked from the book yet but I flipped through it and the recipes look delicious and there are some meal plans included.

I went low FODMAP this past summer and have similar problems sharing recipe ideas with family. I just purchased two FODMAP books: The Low FODMAP Diet Cookbook by Sue Shepard and Low FODMAP 28 day plan by Kate Scarlata. Both are great so far and have many recipes that can be Whole30-compliant, if you ignore the desserts sections!

Leah as you are finding in your FODMAP reintroduction, there is no one-size-fits-all list of foods for us. These and other cookbooks have recipes with foods considered "low FODMAP" by most but I'd rather not eat that food at all. And many recipes in my books say "limit your serving to 1 cup cabbage" or something like that. So whether or not a particular recipe or book will work for you or me is highly individual. What I'm finding is that I learn from books like these how to make safe-for-me substitutions to fit a recipe I'm interested in. 

Low FODMAP has been the best thing for me, but it can be tough. Thanksgiving will be a challenge. I've been reading your reintroduction thread with interest!

lucie

Thanks Lucie for your recommendations. As I'm buying it for somebody not-me, I'd rather have a book that lays it all out, rather than me putting sticky notes all over it "I can eat this one, but not this one" etc. 

Glad you are getting something out of my reintroductions thread, nice to know its for more than just my benefit

I don't have this one yet, but from what I understand, they worked hard to indicate which recipes worked for various restrictions and to give substitutions where possible. Diane Sanfilippo (Practical Paleo) is a co-author: http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Paleo-Cooking-Gluten-Free-Lifestyle/dp/1628600403

For my records, this one has 14 low FODMAP recipes, and all but 4 can be modified to suit

Because we all react differently I don't expect to find a book or website that fits my FODMAP limits. As an example, you are eating sweet potatoes and cashew butter, foods I avoid for what they do to me. And my new books include some cheeses-- safe for others but not me!

This has been on my mind with the holidays coming up. What I might try is reworking one of the Low/Limit/High fodmap food lists I've found online to make it reflect my individual limits. A list of foods isn't that helpful though.

My poor confused family- one year I'm paleo, then I'm Whole30, now I'm low fodmap. To add to it, they LOVED my cauliflower and mushroom "stuffing" last year (better than their bread stuffing!). And the baked apple dessert I raved about last year... off the menu since I avoid all those foods now! I'm lucky they are so supportive.

Whole 30 meal planning was hard enough, but at least all of us were working from the same lists!

I completely agree, mum has 'just about' managed to get her head around 'gluten and dairy free'. I was hoping for a book that helped eliminate ALL high fodmap foods, so that people can put whatever they had reintroduced on to of that, if you know what I mean? I book that markets itself as having low fodmap recipes would be better than one that doesn't...

• 2 weeks later...

Each recipe is definitely clearly marked and some have modification notes. There is no quick and dirty index (I found that in the other book after I posted) so I'd have to flip through them all and count which I don't have time to do at this very moment. Your number sounds about the right ratio just from flipping through a little though.

Archived