Opinions on Grass-fed Beef

Summer

• 1 month later...

I just read through this whole conversation and I'm a bit worried about the 1/2 cow I just ordered (at $5/lb of finished meat). I sure hope it has been eating some yummy grass.

The beef I get from a GA farmer is delicious!

I too have had this experience. We get our beef from a farm in TN that delivers through GA and FL (central). Their ground beef is amazing. I love the flavor of it. People we have served it to that didn't know its source, commented on it. LOVE it. Conveniently, it's cheaper than other sources (by $2 - $3 a pound). On the other hand we had a t-bone recently that was so tough, I thought it was a crossfit workout for my jaw! and it wasn't all that tasty. We had date night the other night and taste tested one filet from our GA farm and one from a local farm. They both tasted amazing.

Not sure why some is so much tougher/less tasteful. But I have noticed it. I'm just happier without the chemicals, especially for my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought a quarter beef (grassfed/finished) and so far I think the hamburger is great and the roasts are awesome too. I find the roasts to be just the tiniest bit "gamey" but it's super subtle. Really not loving the steaks - I'm finding them tough and fatty. The rib-eye's are not succulent at all - it's hard to chew. The T-bones are the same. The farm we bought it from is well known in my area for their holistic and sustainable farming practices. I feel really good about supporting a farm like this, but I do wish my steaks tasted better!

I was reading about another farm a couple states away that raises their beef on sweet grass and supposedly its the best beef you ever had. Made me think about what they eat and how it really does change the flavor. I'm not sure what I'll do in a couple months when we run out.

The flavour of beef is also affected by the stress an animal may feel as it goes to slaughter. If you have an opportunity to ask the rancher/farmer--do ask him or her aout it. If they care about non-stressed meat, they'll tell you! If they don't they won't. As well ageing--and whether it's via the dry process or the wet can also make a difference.

I am still sourcing grass-finished meat here where I live. I've had some and didn't really notice much difference in taste though it was much leaner. But then, I've only eaten ground beef for years and years now (no other cuts except stewing beef.)

Archived