Smoothies are a No No

85MotherOf4AK

I know they are a no no as we are supposed to eat not drink our food, but when it comes to getting my 3 yo to eat veggies it is one way I have achieved success. He is slowly coming around from " no I won't eat it mommy, you know me no like no vegetables" to " ok mom I will eat the carrots but not the celery". But still once or twice a week I make a smoothie with berries a banana and cucumber and a ton of spinach or kale for him and he drinks some veggies he has no idea are in there! Any parents out there with tips to sneak those veggies in on those stubborn 3 yo.

Cauliflower rice!! Ahhhh Haaaaa!! My rice loving boy doesn't know the difference! Success for me. We are eating "Rice with every dinner." He is happy and so am I! If he won't eat any other veggies on the table IKnow he will eat his "RICE!" I am so excited about these little veggie victories!

I don't think veggie smoothies are a bad idea to get good nutrition into your toddler.  If soups are OK, then smoothies aren't terrible.  They're not Whole30 for adults, but toddlers can be tough.  One poster menioned she added hard-boiled eggs to a smoothie to add protein, so that's a consideration to make it more balanced. 

I don't have kids, but I read through a copy of this my friend (parent of 4) had:

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/product-description/006176793X

It's all about making purees and adding them to other dishes. "sneaking" them in so to speak. Some people are against that strategy, saying it's not teaching good lessons to the kids, or if they find out then your authority is compromised, etc., but man that seems like reading wayyyy too much in to it.

Anyway, it was a well-presented book so it might be worth checking out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My motto is "Whatever gets calories into her/him!" I think sneaking veggies into a smoothie/applesauce/soup is totally fine for a toddler/ pre-schooler. Just make sure you offer a non-sneaky vegetable at every meal so your LO recognizes that veggies are a part of dinner time.

As for some good kid-friendly veggies: My daughter ADORES spaghetti squash "peanut noodles." Even if she rejects all other veggies (or sometimes, all other foods, period.), she will gobble up a quarter of a small squash on her own. You can make a W30 version with sunbutter and they're great.

• 1 year later...

I'm a little late on this thread, but in case anyone else needs ideas....

My not-quite 3 year olds who are in a veggie hating phase LOVE them some "chicken poppers" - which have several cups of blended zucchini in them.  I couldn't find ground chicken at our store, so I used turkey and they were great.  Here's a link:  http://www.onelovelylife.com/chicken-zucchini-poppers-gf-df/

Archived