Oncoming cold.....

HeidiPH

I have an oncoming chest cold. I typically will take zinc lozenges.  EVERY ONE I looked at (even sugar-free) has non-compliant "inactive ingredients"

Any suggestions.  It is staring to creep into my chest.  I am scared to take anything!

Whole 30 Day 12.

Emergen - C also has non-compliant ingredients.  :(

• Administrators

Bone broth!!!!  Pop down to your butcher before your cold gets too bad and get some beef or pork bones (even some chicken racks if he has enough) and then swing by the grocery store and pick up some carrots, a couple onions, some celery and some fennel.  Throw the bones and the roughly cut veggies into a large pot or slow cooker, fill with water, add S&P, huge hunks of ginger, some Apple Cider Vinegar and then put it on to come up to a simmer, back it off a bit and let it go overnight and for the next 3-5 days.  Drink it straight up as often as you possibly can, replenishing the water as you take liquid off.

Bone broth has all the amazing things in it that will help your body heal itself and it's warm, comforting and nutritious.

Emergen-C is basically koolaid, you'll get as much Vitamin C eating a nice juicy orange as you will by drinking that chemical concoction.  Sorry for the harsh words, but I was horribly upset when I realized what garbage Emergen C is and marketed as a health product.

You can use a Neti pot for congestion, peppermint tea for the same, make yourself some ginger tea (sliced ginger in boiling water with some lemon juice or ACV.

This Whole30 post is also awesome and I SWORE by the Tom Kha Gai that they link in it from Food Renegade, it is so simple and basically a mug of super-healing deliciousness!  http://whole30.com/2011/02/stm-feed-a-cold/

Feel better soon!

Emergen-C is mostly for people who don't eat fruit, IMO.  I'd make a nice vitamin C rich salad with bell peppers, spinach, strawberries, and bacon (okay, the bacon doesn't have vitamin C, but it ties together a sweet & savory spinach salad). 

I think a nice cup of herbal tea can be very soothing to the throat.  I've seen some advertised at my local co-op that are formulated to soothe the throat specificially, but I've never checked the ingredients so I'm not sure if those are compliant.

Archived