Really? This is where my line is drawn in the sand.

Carly33

I can get behind this entire idea. I understand the food choices, the reasoning behind it all, I get it but lettuce? Really? I mean really? 

Can someone talk to me like I'm a 2 year old and explain to me why we can't have iceberg or romaine lettuce? They are high water content foods, I understand they may not hold as much nutrition as say the bibb, red or butter but really now? I'm sorry but if this is the case then this is utterly retarded to me. Everything was fine until I read that and today was my starting day and I have two heads of iceberg in the fridge and I'm not throwing them out nor am I giving them up. I love all lettuce but those two are a part of it. sigh

On the list, the shopping list under veggies it lists lettuce just like this: Lettuce (bibb, red, butter)? Am I wrong in assuming the list means what it says. For instance, under Mushrooms it has in parenthesis (all). 

I hope I'm wrong, that would make me happy. 

• Moderators

There are more than 1000 vegetables you can eat during a Whole30... literally every veggie that exists. The shopping list highlights foods that are especially nutrient dense and good for you, but is not exhaustive. You can eat any lettuce you like! In other words, you are not limited solely to the foods that are highlighted in the shopping list. 

General note: You are almost certain to run into more things you do not understand as you go through this process. The world is full of exotic, strange, and foreign ideas, concepts, people, and ways. If you try to learn from your encounters rather than rejecting them as retarded, you will become richer as a result. 

Lol yeah, I do use the word retarded for things that upset me, and I was a little upset thinking my lettuce was limited.  :)  I guess I took the list pretty literal huh, lol. 

That said, thank you so much for clearing it up. That little tidbit actually made my day, and knowing I can embrace 1000 veggies even makes it that much brighter! Thanks again, fantastic inf.! 

One more thing, I was thinking that maybe they could write something to the effect that you can have 1000 veggies on the list and that the list is not fully comprehensive but just as you stated. That might help with some of the confusion. Just a suggestion. 

I own an online cosmetics store and have for 12 years and believe me I understand if things aren't clearly stated and how it can confuse the consumer, frustrate them, the whole9 (no pun intended).  :)

Sigh.... Robin I in no way meant to "offend" anyone and I know you know that being the adult you are.

I really need to ask this because there seems to be a flavor in the air and I want to be sure I'm in a safe environment if I'm going to share my personal journey. I feel incredibly offended by two mods and want to know if the mods here take things personally as a general rule? I clearly felt embarrassed in terms of my first post and thought I somewhat expressed that in an indirect way. I'm not getting a good feeling about this place in terms of the mods, everyone else has been fine, but wow!

I don't know maybe I should go and in light of that statement, I'll be sure to share my experience with my fitness and FB community, they're all waiting to see how I do on this but if this is how newcomers are treated on this forum I'm clearly not interested.

Be well and I wish all the other newcomers a wealth of good luck as you move forward on your journey.

You are offended? Robin is right to call out the use of "retarded." That's not ok. I'm not "offended" I'm offended. words matter. And honestly she called you out in the gentlest most sensitive way I can imagine doing so.

This is a safe space where we respect each other. If you would like to join us in mutual respect on the forum, we would welcome you and do our best to help.

FWIW I agree that it would be helpful to add a note on the shopping list to clarify that it is not comprehensive and pretty much all vegetables are permitted on the regular whole30 plan (just not "vegetables" which are actually grain, like corn, or "vegetables" which are actually legumes, like peas). You are not the first to be confused by that one.

I'm sorry you don't think the mods are treating you kindly enough. Please go back and read your original post.  I read it, and immediately thought "Who does this person think she is?"  You saw something on the list you didn't agree with, and instead of respectfully asking for clarification, you got all in-your-face, you-people-are-a-bunch-of-jerks, I'm-digging-in-my-heels-and-not-budging.  I'm glad to see you wanted to be talked to like a two year old, because that is how you came across.

Your original post was highly combative.  On top of that, you used a put-down that NOBODY uses in polite conversation, nor should they.  And then when somebody very gently chided you on it, you got offended.  How many of us that read your initial post do you think you might have offended?

You seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here.  I'm sorry for that, there is a lot of valuable information and support on this site.  But we are not like most online forums.  I know there are a lot of places out there where people can't disagree without belittling or being argumentative.  We are not one of them.  Name calling, derogatory terms, temper tantrums and hissy fits are not well tolerated.

Perhaps we can all start over?

Carly33 -

I absolutely understand that you weren't trying to offend. And I promise I didn't assume you were. I just wanted to communicate in a friendly way how I felt. I hope that you'll be able to treat my comments (and others') with the same grace that yours were given and continue to participate in a meaningful way.

Wow lol, I guess this statement wasn't even read: "I clearly felt embarrassed in terms of my first post and thought I somewhat expressed that in an indirect way" 

It's very very clear to me that arrogance is the flavor here and while you may call me childish and all the other names/phrases you expressed 1maryann I happen to think arrogance is the greatest form of insecurity and I have zero tolerance for it. Furthermore, don't try to make what I initially wrote like it was some ugly combative question, it clearly was not and I stand behind it 100%.  There is nothing wrong with someone being frustrated and saying hey, what's up with this! The only problem was the term I used. 

And yes missmary she did call the word out in a gentle way I agree and thank you for agreeing with me about the list, it does need to be updated and in my humble opinion it needs to be done in a timely fashion, hence this situation. I agree that I certainly could have handled it better. I'm a business woman and was frustrated to no end, that said, I should have phrased it in a more professional way. Nonetheless, Tom did talk down to me and being a Mod in my book, that's a big no no and then the brash statements/caps by the other poster, well, they're very sad.

All that said, I'm a fitness/diet coach and you bet I'll be sharing my experience with my staff and clients. Tolerance was not exercised here on any front and should have been on all accounts and in my opinion, especially by the mods. One wrong does not make a right.................................. neither does two. 

Be well and good luck on your journey.

Carly33 -

I absolutely understand that you weren't trying to offend. And I promise I didn't assume you were. I just wanted to communicate in a friendly way how I felt. I hope that you'll be able to treat my comments (and others') with the same grace that yours were given and continue to participate in a meaningful way.

Yes Robin,, I see that now and I agreed with missmary, you were very gentle in your approach, thank you. 

I think i need to step back and let the my emotions lay still. There have been things said here that should not have been said and I'm not sure moving forward is going to be a solution. As I expressed arrogance is a dirty word in my book and while you were clearly not arrogant others were and I need the dust to settle and then possibly come back and look at the picture again. 

And in terms of grace, my comments initially were not directed at "anyone", nor did I call anyone names. There's quite a difference in this equation. 

Thanks so much for your thoughtful statement it was much appreciated. 

Best to you. 

This thread is the only combative thread I've read on this forum & the only one where offensive language was used.  There's a very good reason the "r" word is no longer used in polite conversation, just like the "f" word (that rhymes with rag) and the "n" word are no longer used in polite conversation.  It's a simple matter of respect. I respect other people, and thus I strive to refrain from using language designed to offend.

Have you read It Starts with Food yet?  That is intended to be the comprehensive resource for this diet, not the shopping list.  I would think it's pretty self-explanatory that one page shopping list is not intended to be the comprehensive resource.

Archived