Super Messed Up Metabolism

keightlynn

Hello.  So I was posting and brianstoming with people in the Meal Planning section on suggestions to give my husband to lunch and it brought out an issue that I thought maybe would be better suited here.  My husband and I are just starting our Whole 30.  My husband's main goal is weight loss.  He has about 40-50 lbs that he would like to drop.  He is a mailman and walks about 12-14 miles a day, so exercise is not the issue here by any means.  He grew up with a very SAD diet, eating a lot of processed foods and soda.  For most of his adult life, he has somewhat yo-yo'd in his weight.  He can drop weight by starving himself, but then when he goes back to eating normally he puts the weight back on.  He is generally a once a day / night eater, in that he won't really eat breakfast or lunch and then eat dinner (and if not dieting, snack in the evenings).  The only times he is successful at dropping weight is when he literally eats nothign all day and then will eat a very small (maybe half a chicken breast) protein for dinner and maybe some veggies.  Now, I'm a smaller female who sits at a desk for work (altho I do workout regularly) and I can mantain my weight eating significantly more calories than he does when he tries to maintain a lower weight. 

To me, it seems there is somthing really wrong with his metabolism, probably from growing up with poor eating habits, but there's just no reason that a 6'2 male who walks 14 miles a day should have to be eating less than his wife to maintain a healthy weight. Where do we start form here?  How does he correct his metabolism so he can have a lasting diet that will keep him at a healthy weight? 

Has your husband seen a functional medicine practitioner to assess what's going on for him?  Something to consider here (click on Find a Practitioner in the top right of the home page).

In the meantime, does he plan to eat three meals a day on his Whole30?  I would start there, as that could help improve any hormonal imbalance. Can he bring an insulated cooler and/or thermos with him to work to keep in his truck, so he has compliant food to eat on the job?

• Moderators

Your husband absolutely has to eat a big breakfast with protein and veggies within one hour of waking in the morning. This one change could make all the difference in the world to his losing weight. Eating breakfast is the most powerful way to reset hormonal rhythms. It is important to eat breakfast even if he does not feel like eating. Eating one meal per day guarantees hormonal problems that make weight loss difficult. He absolutely needs 3 meals per day. 

I sent him with egg muffins with veggies and bacon in them the past 2 days, but I'm guessing it should probably be something more substantial than that? Also, do you think he should avoid fruit? I gave him sliced apples today, but I'm wondering if in his situation he needs a complete break from sugar in all forms until things get reset?

Include carb-dense vegetables in the vegetables you give him - that will help with his energy. Potatoes, winter squash, jicama, beets, carrots, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips are among the possible choices.

Was the bacon you gave him compliant? (e.g., no sugar or sweeteners)

The egg muffins in one meal for him should contain the equivalent of the number of whole eggs he can hold in one hand, and 1-3 cups of vegetables.

Fruit is ok - best that he has it along with his main meals, instead of a snack. Ideally, for best results, snacks should be a mini-meal containing protein, vegetables and fat.

I think the bacon is compliant.  It's from a local farm/butcher (we live in a rural area so I buy most of our meat from farms or it's meat we raised or hunted) and doesn't have any sweetness to it, but there are no ingredients listed since it's not "store bought" ... altho I also have some uncured bacon from Aldis in the freezer, I can check and see if that is maybe better and use that?

Ok, I think at very least I need to give him more egg muffins because I only gave him 2 this morning and I used 12 eggs to make 12 of the muffins ... and he can definately hold more than 2 eggs in his hands!

The starvation may seem effective, but the reason it doesn't last is because it isn't. The more the body is deprived of food, the more it will be afraid to lose weight (there may not be any more food coming!) and the more it will hold on to whatever he eats. Exercising while starving can lead to loss of muscle mass.

Skipping a lot of meals means he could have unsettled hormones.

Eating a good breakfast within an hour of waking is good for the ghrelin response, this could be a very important change for him.

Guest Andria

If each egg muffin averages only one egg, he should most likely be eating 6 muffins. My partner is 6'3" and can hold 6 eggs in his hands.  Send a baggy of raw veggies along if those muffins aren't chock full of veggies.  

Unfortunately, your bacon is likely made with some amount of sugar (regardless whether it *tastes* sweet or not.  Just because it is directly from a farmer does not preclude it from containing sugar.  Cured or uncured, it is a common practice to include sugar in the process of making bacon.  Of course, don't take my word for it and be sure to contact your farmer.  

Today we got up early and I made an actual breakfast for him and then also sent him to work with Scotch eggs and I will be making a meal from Well Fed for dinner. He feels nervous about eating so much though because he finds it hard to believe it will not cause signfiicant weight gain.  Do you think he will be able to actually lose weight this way or should he be prepared to gain weight first while his body adjusts?

I started eating breakfast like a truck driver on June 1, 2014.   Prior, I was only drinking 12 cups of coffee with cream.  The one hour breakfast rule is the Coupe de Ville, the Cadillac of a smooth ride for hormones and releasing weight.

My postman barely has time to eat either.    I can see his sunflower seeds, mountain dews and other snacks on the dashboard of his truck.  He's going from daylight til dark with stress on his face.  Your husband's body will have an adjustment period but it will work.   He'll  have to phase the old snacks out and it would be optimum if it was all at once.

My husband works with a young man.  He's quit eating breakfast and lunch, suppers only.   He thought this would be the way to shuck a few pounds.   Guess what.   Through the winter he's been stacking them on faster than ever.  Husband told him to stop skipping meals and he's replaced his meals with coffee.    It's not working for him and it sure didn't for me.  He's not yet convinced to stop skipping the most important meals.

The changes will not happen overnight but if he's consistent...he'll see the positive results.   I have.

I just spoke with him as he's on his way home and he reports that he felt much better today (first day of working on Whole 30 with a real breakfast).  I just really hope it works for him.  I hate that he works so hard and still struggles with his weight because it doesn't seem fair. 

What a sad situation and my heart goes out to him!  My husband is a physician and I was asking him about this..he has so many patients in the same situation--some weighing much more than your husband--who swear to only eating 800 calories/day according to their food diaries.  He said that not only is "The Calorie Myth" a great read and educational, but that to heal his metabolism he may have to (while sticking to Whole 30 foods) add 100 calories to his diet every 2 weeks.  So even carrying olives in a baggie on his route, eating every hour until that healing takes place, may be helpful. Also, have his insulin levels and Hemoglobin A1C checked...basically he is on the right track w/Whole 30 and a GOOD, knowledgeable physician can help him--I know they are hard to find....you aren't in NM are you? :)

Keightlynn - I know exactly how he feels. I've done a whole pile of diets and gained on most of them. Restricting food too much (even intermittent fasting) usually makes me gain weight, my body seems to switch into some kind of low gear where I really don't burn anything. On Whole30 my metabolism is so much better. My blood glucose is lower and more stable and in general I can feel my metabolism kicking into a higher gear. I sweat more, I get hot more.

Unfortunately we're not in NM ... I wish we were! haha, especially right now with our freezing temperatures where we live!!  How do you get your insulin levels and Hemoglobin checked?  Will a normal PCP do that?  I do think he has some blood sugar issues going on.  He's been doing really well the past few days, but I'm still having a hard time keeping him convinced that he's not eating too much.  I think it's a really hard mindset to break out of.  He says he's happy that he's getting into better eating habits, but he feels like he's overeating.  For an example of a daily menu:

Breakfast:

Complient bacon (4-5 pices)

2 eggs

Apple (or potato or other veggie depending on what we have)

Lunch:

2 scotch eggs (recipe from Clothes Make the Girl that someone on here gave me the link to)

Dinner:

Something from Well Fed (I've pretty much been cooking dinner exclusive from the book)

If I'm behind on getting dinner ready, he's sometimes having some fruit (like an apple or a banana) when he gets home from work, but not everyday.

Is that too much food for him?  He's 6'2" and currently weights probably around 260 lbs and walks on average 10 - 14 miles a day.  

Unfortunately we're not in NM ... I wish we were! haha, especially right now with our freezing temperatures where we live!!  How do you get your insulin levels and Hemoglobin checked?  Will a normal PCP do that?  I do think he has some blood sugar issues going on.  He's been doing really well the past few days, but I'm still having a hard time keeping him convinced that he's not eating too much.  I think it's a really hard mindset to break out of.  He says he's happy that he's getting into better eating habits, but he feels like he's overeating.  For an example of a daily menu:

Breakfast:

2 eggs

Lunch:

2 scotch eggs (recipe from Clothes Make the Girl that someone on here gave me the link to)

Dinner:

Something from Well Fed (I've pretty much been cooking dinner exclusive from the book)

If I'm behind on getting dinner ready, he's sometimes having some fruit (like an apple or a banana) when he gets home from work, but not everyday.

Is that too much food for him?  He's 6'2" and currently weights probably around 260 lbs and walks on average 10 - 14 miles a day.  

I don't feel that's a lot of food: it may not even be enough. Don't let fruit push veggies off his plate: aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal. I might cut back on the bacon a bit, especially if his goal is to lose weight. Bacon is more of a fat than a protein on a Whole30: treat it more like a condiment.

Guest Andria

Breakfast:

2 eggs

Lunch:

Dinner:

Oh my, keightlyn, that is very little food for a man who is 6'2" who walks that much!  Seriously, I eat more than that and I am a petite 5'3'. Remember, the serving size of eggs is the number he can hold in his hands. I can hold 3, my 6'3 boyfriend can hold 6.  Like GFChris says, veggies take priority over fruit.  Plan each meal around protein, 2-3 cups veg, fat and if he is still hungry have fruit at the end of the meal.  If he is truly hungry while waiting for dinner, he should have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat not fruit.

I agree with Chris and Andria...not enough food. I've known a lot of people in his situation though. Chronically under eating but still overweight. It might take a while to break the mentality and convince him he needs to eat more. He might gain a little before he starts losing. He has to convince his body that he isn't going to starve it any more. 

I can't remember if this was suggested already, but if he has trouble sitting down to a full template meal make one anyway and when he can't eat anymore pack the leftovers and have him try again in a couple of hours. Because of his job focus on meals that can be eaten on the go and don't need to reheat. 

Veggies are super important too. Send him off with big bags of raw veggies in addition to the scotch eggs.

Keep encouraging him. It might be a slow process for him but it will be worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so frustrated right now.  We are on Day 24 and it has been going really well.  My husband has still been weighing himself (I know the rules, but trust me, it's not a winning battle) and while at first he lost weight, it has evened out and this morning he gained a pound.  Last night we had guest over, and while the meal I made was compliant, it was a heavier meal (a hearty squash soup & shepherd's pie), so I don't think gaining 1 lb is that shocking or anything.  I can tell he has lost weight becuase he looks trimmer, but it's not weight just falling off, like I guess he would want.  He's been mostly pretty happy, but now is convinced that he needs to stop eating breakfast.  I tried to explain to him about the importance of his metabolism rebooting, but he's convinced it won't work for his body.  He ate 2 fried eggs for breakfast this morning (becuase I insisted) and refused to take anything for lunch.  I feel so defeated becuase I'm so proud of his progress and how healthy we have been eating and doing so well on the Whole 30, and now I have to fight the battle again that eating half a chicken breast once a day at dinner is not a long term weight loss solution.  Any suggestions?  I tell him what people here say but he's saying, "that's just what they say, I know my body."

it has evened out and this morning he gained a pound.

This is SO UPSETTING to me. Your husband is not eating enough, and he is buying into a false understanding of the body and metabolism. 

Maybe this is TMI, but I wonder if he had a bowel movement prior to that morning weigh-in? The food that he consumed the night before weighs something. fluids weigh something. "gaining" a pound means nothing, what is important are trends over the long term. Ultimately, he is a grown up and can make his own choices, but you might want to remind him that "his way" didn't really work that well. Trying the whole30 will only work if takes it on without compromise; not a mix and match of his fasting/low calorie/daily weigh-in ideas with some of the whole30; taking it on for real with vegetables and protein and good fat in the morning and at noon and at night. every day for 30 days. He has a whole lifetime to go back to his old way if he really wants to afterwards, but at least give the whole30 the whole 30 before deciding it will not work.

• Administrators

I agree with Miss Mary, this is really hard to read.  And your frustration is coming through loud and clear.  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

It's true, he knows his body just like I know mine and you know yours. But he is a HUMAN.  We are all unique little snowflakes but we are human beings first and we all have the same basic needs.  Food, fluids and rest.  All you do when you don't eat meals is tell your body that food is scarce.  Do that for long enough and the primal being that the human body is, is going to self preserve.  It won't let go an ounce of weight (weight = energy) because that would be crazy and detrimental to that primal being's ongoing existence.

It is extremely possible that your husband is going to gain weight in the short term.  Now that food is coming regularly the body, still believing the shortage is around the corner, is going to hold onto it in order to ensure it doesn't get caught short.  After time (30 days maybe, 60, 90) his body will realize that the food shortage is not looming and that it will regularly get a reasonable amount of food and will start to use some of it.

Further, humans are not static creatures.  I've said this all over the forum a few times now.  We are not meant to be packed into some self designed mould, never to move again.  We fluctuate up and down, back and forth, tired and energized, hungry and full, heavier and lighter.  We are dynamic and that deserves to be respected.

If you can't just throw the scale out, take the batteries out of the scale and break the contacts so that the scale "just died, honey, I don't know what happened". He is sabatoging any hope of success by reading a little glowing digital number and assigning value to it.

Grrr....Husband!  

Archived