Type 1 Diabetics

Hi!  I am a Type 1 too and wondered about the same thing.  If it happens, I will try an orange in lieu of glucose tablets.  I'll let you know the outcome if it happens. I am interested in seeing the impact on my glucose readings!  After reading the book, I think this is quite feasible.  Time will tell.  Good luck to you.

• Moderators

Just FYI -- if, as a diabetic, you need to take a glucose tablet, that's okay. It's considered the same as medications prescribed by a doctor -- doctor's orders, or in this case, treating a hypoglycemic episode, takes precedence over Whole30 rules.

If you know that eating an orange works for you instead of the glucose, that's fine, but if you typically would take the glucose tablet, do that. We don't want you passing out or anything.

Hopefully, over time, as you get used to eating this way, you will be able to avoid that kind of blood sugar drop.

Im type 1 but with my high healthy fat diet n now no dairy n no grains whole 30 diet I dont get low blood sugars. But if I were to I would reach for protein n fat to bring me up n to keep me up. U dont need sugar to get ur sugar up. I repeat...u dont need sugar to get ur sugar up. I am not a doctor but I speak by experience. U dont have to take my advice of course, just telling u what I do. Been t1 since 14, now 43. Since Jan 1 (whole 30) most of my blood sugars r under 200, more like low 100's... awesome I feel great. Before i was under 300 always 200 something. I know it's the dairy which I miss more than anything but my goal this year is to get my a1c down to normal n shock the pants off my doctors. I love this diet. Never knew it could be dairy. Amongst other things I know line grains n sugar of course, but come on, dairy? Incredible!!!!!

Just wondered how all the type 1 diabetics are doing. Are you following the Auto Immune Protocol or just the straight up Whole30? I have been doing the AIP since new year! So today is day 8. Things have been going well, like most people evenings are the hardest time, especially when I have a boyfriend who can eat whatever he likes and still remain nice and slim without any digestive probelms! I am used to eating quite similarly to the whole30 at meal times, I would very rarely have carbs and dairy, due to my own research in controlling my diabetes, it's just the snacking inbetween that I needed to knock on the head. In terms of my insulin, I have reduced my overall basal rate by 10% as I kept on getting low blood sugars when I woke up, not a great start to the day! I have also reduced my ratios from 1.5 units per 10g to 1.2 units per 10g. I can see this dropping more as the days go by.

I'm still feeling pretty positive and motivated, I have a fairly active lifestyle so it's just making sure I eat enough to get through the day. I've had to takle eating out and social events all ready which has been fine! Not noticing any massive change in my waist line or energy levels but will persevere to the 30 days (or maybe more!) as I know personally any weight changes can be slow and take time! Probably all the insulin pumped around me over the years. how's everyone else finding it? Be great to here from you all xx

hi bethanyrose, i'm on my 10th day ha january 10th.  I started on the 1st of course.  I love this diet!  I feel absolutely great!  however i was already kinda eating this way except for dairy and a cheat day or two a week, but I love the veggies and the healthy fats and all.  i do believe that i'm going to get my a1c's down this year.  my doctor is going to freak.  i haven't had a low blood sugar in forever like i used to, i'm talking low like 20 30 40.  my sugars stay up because of the fat i eat.  i used to run 200's all the time, which i didn't like, but now i run 100's all the time with the occasional 2 sugars where i'm like "what?!!!!!, how did that happen????!!!"...if you know what i mean.  but i feel wonderful.  good luck with your diabetes and this diet.  oh and btw...your boyfriend you say is nice and lean, but is he healthy?, just because your slim doesn't mean your healthy.  you're trying to get healthy, not just lose weight.  so even when you get down to your ideal weight you should continue eating this way just maybe up your fat intake to a maintenance amount but still continue to eat healthy.  just my thoughs!  keep it up!

It's funny because I'm in the UK and we still do mmol for bloody sugar so 100/200 sound crazy to me! My last hba1c was 7.7 so trying to get that down next time (this is the lowest it's ever been though). It's come down a lot as I got a insulin pump at the beginning of 2014 which has helped a lot! My boyfriend is pretty healthy, he eats pretty much what I eat just bigger portions, he's really supportive of my diet and lifestyle choices. He can easily put away a packet of biscuits in one sitting, which he knows isn't great, but his metabolism must be so high, he has an active job and he's on his skateboard every dry day we get! I think I will stick to this after the 30 days, I know it suits my body, I just won't be so strick, as I'm doing the AIP I've had no eggs, nuts, tomatoes, peppers etc so look ping forward to having a few of those! Thanks for all the support xx

Awesome!  yeah 200's are awful but my doctor wants me eating 160 grams of carbs a day since i run and workout and that was when my sugars were all over the board, from 350 to 25, seizures, emergency room visits, i mean come on, she was trying to kill me.  anyway, i started doing my own research myself and have stopped the low low blood sugars, but remained in 200's, but now with w30 i am finally at a good rate and taking way less insulin!!!

So good luck, bethany rose.  I love this way of eating.  i look forward to my own success!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a T1 too! I love eating this way--I follow paleo and primal when I am not doing whole 30 and I feel soooooo much better and I have really cut back on my insulin! Love it! I am so much more balanced as well. My endo is really happy with the results and he is fine with me having no beans, grains and just a small bit of full fat dairy (when I am off whole 30). My blood sugars are much much more stable eating this way for sure. Can say enough good about it! 

• 1 year later...

I'm new to Whole 30 and I have a child with T1 diabetes. He is newly diagnosed and was wondering if anyone has had experience with taking care of a Diabetic child? He's a good eater but doesn't want to give up carbs. His brothers don't either, they are 15 yrs old and 7. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Best to check with your doctor for T1D for children. They can't store as much as adults can (smaller in size) and running too low during the night can be dangerous.

There's lots of good carbs on Whole30, so there's no need to give up carbs. Sweet potato, white potato, plantains, carrots, beetroot etc

If you're a diabetic of any kind, make sure you're making changes in consultation with your doctor/s.

Food changes can have big impacts on medications, so you will need regular testing and review.

I am Type 1 and have been on the whole 30 for 21 days. Anytime I have encountered a low blood sugar, I have eaten a piece of fruit, usually apple, orange, or banana, and that has been enough to get my sugar level back into range.

Archived