W30...really?

zBeverly

I'm getting confused (perhaps a bit frustrated is more accurate; maybe it's because it's Day 3 )  I see people posting about having rice, potatoes (other than sweet), sausage, bacon, prepared foods, etc.  How are these in the spirit of going back to whole foods and being W30 compliant?

Rice...a grain (p. 103)

Bacon/Sausage...processed/cured and/or SWYPO food (I guess for me not for others?) (p. 152, "technically ok" but not a main protein source)

Potatoes...my words: poor choice at best compared to other veggies (p. 155...take a pass on white potatoes, please) or another SWYPO food.  I get that athletes need more carbs, not talking about them.  

Isn't the point to get out all things that cause negative reactions (inflammation, for instance)?   

I don't mean to complain but why be on Facebook, or wherever, taking about Day #____ and how you had these foods and you're like so W30.  So, why do this if you're not going to do this?  You can decide not to do it because it's not for you, no harm no foul.  But at least be honest about it.  I know a lot of people do the sausage and bacon thing and source it correctly and fine for them (maybe I'm just jealous because it would trigger me).  Anyone else feel this way (and I realize it doesn't matter what others do I can only work on me).

Yes: Eat real food.

Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.vTWC39Pg.dpuf

No: Avoid for 30 days.     

More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. 

Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.

§  Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.

§  Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)

§  Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.

§  Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).

§  Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)

§  Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.

§  Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients. 

You are correct that rice is off-plan on a Whole30.

However, all potatoes are permitted. White potatoes were added to the allowable foods in July, 2014.

Compliant sausage and bacon are allowed.

The best you can do is point out or question when you see people eating off-plan food (if you're strongly compelled), and put your main focus on doing your own true Whole30, including avoiding the compliant foods that are triggers for you.

With the popularity of the program, there are bound to be many people who hear about it second- and thirdhand ... the rules get watered down, or people skim the website and think "ya, ya, got it, got it."

I'd *like* to think people are just typing "rice" as shorthand for "cauliflower rice", but that's probably not the case. :)

Like anything else extreme, there is some cachet to being part of "the club" ... people want to be able to say they completed a Whole30.

Is it mainly on Facebook you're seeing these not-in-the-spirit-of-the-program posts? The mods here on the forum usually set people straight in a respectful manner, but the log sub-forum isn't moderated so there might be some off-plan stuff happening there.

I think the official forum makes all of the difference in the world for success.   I wouldn't want someone who's not read ISWF or any of the materials giving me their strategy for a Whole 30.     A non-compliant Whole 30 is an imaginary one.

Vexing.  My husband asked the other day about "our" Whole30 "we" did last year.  Ehem... I did a Whole30, he did not.  He still gets kind of pissy when I tell him he didn't.  He did not watch ingredients, ate out a lot with no questions, actively ate A1 Steaksauce on beef, ate/used soy sauce, sugar cured bacon, sweetened carrageenaned almond milk, etc, etc, etc.  Drove me crazy then and irritates me now when he insists he did that Whole30 with me last year, since he "basically" ate what I ate.

Vexing.  My husband asked the other day about "our" Whole30 "we" did last year.  Ehem... I did a Whole30, he did not.  He still gets kind of pissy when I tell him he didn't.  He did not watch ingredients, ate out a lot with no questions, actively ate A1 Steaksauce on beef, ate/used soy sauce, sugar cured bacon, sweetened carrageenaned almond milk, etc, etc, etc.  Drove me crazy then and irritates me now when he insists he did that Whole30 with me last year, since he "basically" ate what I ate.

seems similar to when guys say 'We're Pregnant" Ummm, no...

I am following a Facebook page dedicated to those who are starting the program Jan 1.  Many of the posts I see on the page are not compliant with W30.  I've mentioned it a few times and the monitor later posted that "people are new to the program and are going to make slips".  I chalked this up to obviously these people did not read the book or do as much research as I did for my first W30.  I am no longer taking the FB page with 100% seriousness and take the things posted with the grain of salt.  There are some good suggestions and other things I like about being associated with the page so I will continue to follow it.  However, when I have a question regarding the program, I come to this forum for reliable answers.

Ohhhh lady, I feels ya. I have a very sweet husband who loves to talk about when he did that crazy elimination diet with me...the one he drank a beer on...the one he ate legumes on. yes yes. it's funny how that works. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there. This is an interesting string of posts.  I am a newbie to Whole 30, Day #3, but an experienced endurance athlete, and overall, I eat a fairly healthy and balanced diet, drink a lot of water etc etc.  I decided to do Whole 30 with my boyfriend because we both wanted a metabolic reset/detox to feel better, have more energy, sleep better, fewer mood and energy swings, more mentally alert, better athletic performance, fewer injuries due to inflammation etc.  He has about 15# to lose, but I am at my goal weight. We each have triggers we want to work on, prove we can do without, learn other things to have instead of them................he loves chips, crackers, fruit snacks, ice cream.  I love wine and cheese and sometimes french fries. Neither of us likes to cook or have to shop ad nauseum for exotic ingredients, but we think we can follow this if we keep it simple and support each other.  

It bothers me when people are so judgmental of others' short comings in Whole 30. We are all different, individuals, with our own strengths, weaknesses, and journeys in life.  We all have different financial and time constraints. We all have different goals for this program and our lives.  Our bodies are all different, and some of us have worse sensitivities to certain foods.  My boyfriend is intolerant to many legumes, but he tolerates dairy ok.  I tolerate dairy and legumes ok, but several nuts give me issues. 

I'm going to give this program 100% and follow the rules.  However, if I slip up and borrow a few shot bloks from a fellow runner because I'm about to pass out on the sidewalk during a 30 mile run, or if I wake up so hungry that my choice to get through breakfast and make it to work is to have a few slices of non compliant bacon or eat oatmeal............I'm not going to beat myself up, nor do I feel I am a fraud for posting on FB that I am doing the Whole 30 program.

I feel pretty confident that I'll make it 30 days, feel great, try some new foods, have more energy, see improved athletic performance, health, better sleep etc etc.  But, if I mess up, I'll still consider it a success for the positive changes I do see.  I think I'll just be happy knowing I could give up wine for 30 days, and keep the wine levels lower in the future.  

I'm sorry for the rant, but I think my point is to go easy on each other.  We are all on our own individual journey and here to support each other and exchange information.  

I'm going to give this program 100% and follow the rules.  However, if I slip up and borrow a few shot bloks from a fellow runner because I'm about to pass out on the sidewalk during a 30 mile run, or if I wake up so hungry that my choice to get through breakfast and make it to work is to have a few slices of non compliant bacon or eat oatmeal............I'm not going to beat myself up, nor do I feel I am a fraud for posting on FB that I am doing the Whole 30 program.

The reality is, if you're going to follow the rules 100%, that means following every single rule for 30 consecutive days. If you choose to have shot blocks, non-compliant bacon, oatmeal, or other off-plan food along the way, you're no longer doing a Whole30.

If you want to maintain your weight on your Whole30, you may find this article helpful. 

Regarding Bacon and Sausage:  (my 2 cents)

Long ago (but not really too long) these meat products used to be natural, wholesome, and minimally processed.  It was was how our ancestors would store meat to survive through the winter.  Modern food culture has made them unhealthy - like it has to so many other foods that were once benign if not nourishing.

I see the inclusion of certain bacon/sausage as a way of going back to better times and supporting business that creates a product lacking the uneccessary crap and chemicals.  Let's face it - we need some variety if we are going to thrive on a whole foods diet in a modern world.

I liked that article.  I am probably on the skinny end of the spectrum, and worried about not getting enough calories in to maintain energy for life and work, plus my 2 workouts per day.  I have some very long runs coming up, and am concerned about sufficiently fueling for them.  I am reading the blogs of endurance athletes who fuel on paleo or whole 30, but in trying some new things during these very long workouts there is a chance that I will bonk and need something just to get back home or back to my car.  I hope not, but I plan to be prepared with emergency snacks.

Thanks Jjo!  I'm on Day#5 and both Bill and I feel pretty good, little hungry from time to time.  I'm a bit sluggish in my workouts.......didn't hit my intervals exactly at track on Wednesday, and my lifts at crossfit are a little off, but I know there will be an adjustment period as with anything new.  For me this is an experiment and detox.  Having energy and vitality for my running, work and other hobbies is top priority, so I am trying to find the right mix of things for best performance in both.  My 45 mile training weekend will be an interesting test........going to try to fuel all Whole 30 before, during and after, but not going to risk safety to do so.  Excited about the journey and learning! 

Yayyyy..............so excited.................fueled successfully before, during and after my 12 mile run yesterday.  Eggs, veggies, fruit for breakfast.........banana just before the run..............leftover sweet potato cut up during run (was surprised how good it tasted), fruit, lean meat, almonds, more fruit, coconut water after the run.  I had a few stops after the run and I didn't get home where I could have a real "lunch" until about 3pm, so I probably snacked on too much almonds and fruit from 12-3, but I stayed on plan and felt good on the run!!!   Excited to try a slightly longer run today!!!

Archived