The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had friends over tonight for a very paleo dinner! We had "The Best Chicken You'll Ever Eat" (WellFed cookbook- it was ok) that I started marinating yesterday, roasted potatoes w/ dill, and roasted carrots that my oldest accidentally doused w/ nearly an entire bottle of avocado oil!!! ($$$)... I made corn on the cob too, but did not partake, and they brought......cheesecake! So.Much.Fun. watching everyone else eat that!!! I'd have some frozen mango to console myself, but I'm trying to not eat anything after 8pm. 

I had lunch out with another friend today and learned that blueberries and chicken taste rather great together- who knew?? And strawberries w/ pickles aren't too terrible together either- is that weird to anybody else??? I'm not used to fruit mixed in with salad stuff.  That was just the salad. Had a pretty pricey Bison Burger sans cheese and bun (don't you love the looks you get when they bring out your plate and its just a burger patty???) I don't care, though, it was tasty- a bun would have just taken away from the yumminess of the bison. :) 

Hope everyone had a great day!!!

Miki - I already left a message for a beautiful hurricane.   I don't think you've read it.   :D 

Jeslight - you're already in the pocket.

Samantha -  Sam,  I don't know what to think about Sasquatch.  

ChiggerCane and Laurie -  BFF

Higs, Ann, NannyD, GrannyD, Melzuko, Tonya, Augie, VolChick, Dawn S., Nado, Noodlette, Krista, Dave, CC

Time to nut and bolt.  See y'all manana.

Oh it is great to see so many familiar names, and all the new ones. Yay, Dave, for getting so many of us back in one place. (I'm not an original, but I joined last August.)

I started another W30 on January 1, 2015, so I've got a week done already. I'll hang with you lot for the full 30 days anyway, if you don't mind.

Tonight I cooked what has become my usual big-but-not-huge cookup: turned the oven on, and: broiled four chicken leg/thigh quarters; then baked a package of sugar-free bacon; then roasted a spaghetti squash; and in the meantime seasoned and browned two pounds of ground beef.

I've got aspsragus, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and broccoli in the fridge, and spinach and kale in the freezer. Big box of clementines on the kitchen counter, and I'm good to go for another few days.

Finally made mayo in the blender. I know this is somewhat heretical, but ... I don't really like it. Too lemony, I think. I like lemon, but this does not taste good to me. I think I'll look at a few more recipes (I used Well Fed 2), and maybe try it with half lemon juice and half vinegar next time. I'm using it for tuna salad and chicken salad, and it looks gorgeous, with perfect consistency... I'm just not crazy about the flavor.

Off to bed now. Nice to be back with you all

ann

Bone broth is the bomb, Miki!  What I started doing is just saving all my bones in the freezer:  chicken, beef, duck, whatever.  When I'm ready to make broth I try to have about 3-4 pounds of bones.  And I try to include a pound of some kind of bone that will have a lot of collagen:  knuckle bones or chicken feet or trotters.  I throw them all in giant stock pot with onion, celery, carrots, garlic and spices and simmer it for 24 hours.  Pretty simple.  After it cools, it will be gelatinous. I throw it in quart jars in freeze it, and bring out one jar at a time.  Zap in the microwave and voila!  Sooo healthy!

Here's a link I've used as a guideline

http://paleoinapinch.com/post/40269054376/bone-broth-making-a-timely-come-back

And here's a link to Whole30's own Tom Denham's version.  I STILL don't have a slow cooker or a pressure cooker, so I just do mine in a stock pot.

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/02/pressure-cooker-bone-broth/

It is so good!

Hi - I'm in!! DCducks - check may take a while as it is coming from Peru....hope Serpost doesn't lose it.

I've done one Whole30 successfully and loved it! Looking forward to feeling great again, especially with support from this fun group!

Good Morning,

Hi Ann, I love lemon, which is maybe why I love the mayo. I must admit I thought it was "meh" as the kids would say, in the beginning, but now I had extra Meyer lemon (I'm a lemon freak, I admit it). This time I want to add basil and garlic. I tend to "abuse" sauces, nuts etc. so that's my own person cross to bear.

I want to make the bbq sauce too, everyone so raves about it, but for now (as usual) it will be spaghetti squash, ground chicken. My kids love a homemade chili over spaghetti squash...a kind of chili mac (you can sneak in -cut small- carrots, broccoli, etc - very good. I promised myself I would try some "man meat" this time like a steak or something, but we'll see. 

I can't wait for when we lay down at night, pass out when our head meets the pillow then pop up rarin to go at 4am....WAHOO. 

Meadow - how you doing girlfriend. I heard you play around with a lot of other groups on here...and that you are amazing. Keep us on the straight and narrow and honor yourself. I think I'll go out lookin' for a  bear this weekend, although you and CC may have snagged the last good ones.

Have my massage scheduled, facial, going to reread my book, go to the farmer's market. Going to the gym Saturday and Sunday and will be ready for eggs over cauliflower rice (it's been so long) on Monday morning.

Most importantly, I have a date planned with my scale on Sunday. a leisurely walk, then sitting and talking before I move my dear friend to the garage for the month.......

hugs

Hurricane

Miki - Yes, I'm still dancing through life.    Today is a special day for me.  Day 222 of my Whole 30 Iditarod and I was born at 2:22...sooo, at 2:22 this afternoon I will celebrate with a cuppa bone broth.   Thank you, Higs for reminding me of the virtues of bone broth.   Thanks again, Higs for helping me create 50 ways to make a Balsamic Reduction.    I will be celebrating all of you at 2:22 as you take off on your journey.   coffee2.gif

Haven't made bone broth yet, but I will get a cup of tea at what I imagine should be 11:22 my time and toast your amazingness. You have made the whole 30 a symphony of dedication, a testament to the strength of women, a book about love, and a legend of Kickin A@@ with respect to that evil-eyed woman who has magically disappeared (never mess with our Meadow!). 

Hurricane, thanks so much for the advice, I really like the chili and spaghetti squash idea for my kids. Also, thank you for putting into my brain that I should get a massage and a facial, I can't wait to tell my husband that its all part of the lifestyle change!!! 

Dave, I apologize but Andy had a hotwheels corvette so how could I resist! And yes I did get my kids at the mall, but they came with no return policy, so I plan on shoving vegetables and no sugar down their throats until they head for the hills. Its all part of the plan! 

Higs, thanks so much for the links to the Bone Broth recipies. I have been wanting to try bone broth of awhile, so now seems like perfect timing.

I can't wait to start this journey and am thankful to have found this group for support and advice

Miki - I already left a message for a beautiful hurricane.   I don't think you've read it.   :D 

Jeslight - you're already in the pocket.

Samantha -  Sam,  I don't know what to think about Sasquatch.  

ChiggerCane and Laurie -  BFF

Higs, Ann, NannyD, GrannyD, Melzuko, Tonya, Augie, VolChick, Dawn S., Nado, Noodlette, Krista, Dave, CC

Time to nut and bolt.  See y'all manana.

I had to look under your profile Lily to find the thread, oh lost me :-)

Happy to be back here with all these "dirty" people. Day 5 for me, but amazed to be back in this group. Best whole30 group EVER

xoxoxoxox Hugs to all of you and have a wonderful weekend! We will meet back here on Monday Jan 12, 15.

Love & Peace

GOOD morning and HAPPY FRIDAY!!

I will be a cooking/prepping/packaging MANIC this weekend! My bone broth is made, jarred, and ready to go. All the other food happens tomorrow and Sunday. I’m excited for Monday!!

I find myself struggling trying to explain this Whole30 to my friends … coming up with the right words for the psychological effects, etc. How do you all explain Whole30?

Good Luck Mik!!

Everyone enjoy your weekend!

Dawn

Dawn - tell them they are not smart enough to understand and you will not waste your time or breath trying to explain it to nit-wits!

Miki- I never forgot you. I was typing a very long reply and you must have entered yours before I finished.......stop being a baby!

Sissy and Nanny - welcome to the wacky!

Krista - I could always tell that you were very materialistic.........you know Andy turned out....well......playing for the other team ....right?

Ok - I have been very busy! Biblical forces decided the best way for me to rid my fridge of anything and everything that wasn't healthy was to make my beautiful stainless steel side by side........DIE! So, after collecting three large trash bags of spoiled food, cleaning the entire fridge (with bleach) from top to bottom, my repairman says he would throw it in the dump before trying to repair it. IT"S 5 YEARS OLD! SHITBALLS!

Of course the store here is out of the fridge my wife wants so I left work early (freedom and democracy suffered terribly today....you might have felt it) and drove an hour each way to buy the last one that the other store had. They will deliver my vacation......er.......fridge tomorrow!

So....no whining here......stiff upper lip! Things happen for a reason, right? I have been doing good things lately such as listing numerous things on Craigslist and giving them away for free to clear some clutter and make other people happy! We recently bought all new dinner plates, bowls, yada yada yada so I boxed all of the old stuff up and gave it to a very happy young secretary at work who just got her first apartment. NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED....I suppose!

BUT! I have already lost two pounds this week, went for a great walk with the wife and dogs tonight, watched a movie with my oldest son (who's home from college) earlier, going duck hunting tomorrow (16 degrees in the morning...brrrr) with my youngest, and the sun is still shining! I'm assuming one of us will need to do a very large grocery trip tomorrow. Just guessing!

Taking the wife to a holiday party for her work tomorrow evening....fun! Booked a very nice night at a hotel in National Harbor for the wife and I in February for an evening out with several couples.

Life is still good......keep smiling!

Dave

Mik, I think maybe adding even more lemon and some garlic might be just what that mayo needs. Thanks for the ideas. I also want to try some sauces that start with mayo, like maybe the kickass ketchup from Well Fed 2.

Sissy, I totally agree... I had no idea how much I missed all of you until I started reading this thread.

Nanny ... Hello!!

ann

So I need to rant for just a moment... Bone broth. What a dreadful name! Who in the world started that? This isn't some new, paleo, Whole30 invention; IT'S JUST A GOOD, BROWN STOCK. That's all it is. Brown the veggies, brown the meat and bones, use meaty bones, cook the stock long and slow. Stock. Lovely, dark, nutritious, rich, flavorful, gelatinous STOCK. Every time I read "bone broth" it conjours up horrible cannibalistic images in my mind... Yuck. But maybe it's just me.

Here's a great YouTube video of a guy making perfect beef stock:
Classic French "Best Quality" Brown Beef Stock

Ok. I'm done now.

Higs! CC! More familiar names... Yay!

I made the spaghetti squash fritters from Well Fed 2 tonight because I was cold (temperature is in the teens here in North Carolina!) and tired and wanted something warm and savory and comforting, and I cooked a bunch of spaghetti squash last night.

Almond meal, eggs, onions, and cooked spaghetti squash... baking soda, cream of tarter, salt and pepper, and I added red pepper flakes. Mix up the batter, heat up some fat (I used bacon grease from sugar-free Pedersen's bacon), and cook for about 3 minutes on a side until brown and crispy. I put 'em on a plate, drizzled on some clarified butter, and ate them up. YUMMM. Extremely satisfying.

They kind of remind me of potato lattkes, and if I'd had some nice, chunky, sugar-free applesauce, I would have had a little on the side. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make them again. Soon.

ann

Just made my first batch of bone br....errr.... stock a few weeks ago. I had it stuck in my brain it was going to be impossibly hard for me (domestically disabled as I am) even though I kept hearing how fail proof it was.... and it was a huge success! It was chicken br.... stock and I made a ton :) This made me rather plucky so I ventured to try the other "It's SOOOOO easy" recipe and make ghee---- another success... although I have these beautiful lovely jars of ghee in the fridge for several weeks and don't really know what to do with it??? I think I just like to tell people "yeah, I make my own ghee- that's clarified butter, you know." and listen to them oooo and ahhh ;) 

Today was such a fantastic day!

Chiropracter appointment this AM, I felt fine and dandy, but apparently my back and neck suggested otherwise.  Apparently you can be super duper stressed and not feel it??? The dr even FORCED me into the uber fancy post-appointment massage contraption. That was rough, let me tell you! ;)

I recovered, though, and had some more great fun- until my run this evening. Some speedwork, some bad shoes, and some crunched toes, side cramps (despite all the water I've been drinking) and I struggled through.  Barely finished and I didn't really like my time. Oh well, I guess they can't all be glorious!

It occurred to me today that I've scaled way back on the constantly grazing (without meaning to) and I'm just not really hungry as much. Must be the water!!

I hope everyone is enjoying gearing up for the big kickoff! I'm rooting and cheering for y'all!!!!!! I love seeing all of the recipe suggestions and can't wait to try some!  I might have to even learn to like brussel sprouts...... gaaaaaaggggggg! ;) Happy Friday everyone!

@Dawn_Stines I just tell people "It's a program that helps me detox from sugar and processed foods. I basically just eat clean well-sourced meats, fruits and veggies. I love the energy I get, how much better I sleep, a clearer complexion and it beefs up my immune system." I tell people, "I lost 10lbs last August when I did it, but really that weightless pales in comparison to the other benefits I saw." 

Here you go, Jes ... Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

brussel+sprouts+2a.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 10 small brussels sprouts
  • 2-4 slices of bacon, chopped
  • optional: 1 to 2 Tbl diced onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • some oil or other fat
  • Salt and pepper

Method:
  1. Peel off any bad leaves from the brussels sprouts, and trim stems if woody.
  2. Cut sprouts in half lengthwise. Cut again if they are big.
  3. Heat pan to medium-high. Add bacon (and optionally onion if you like it) and cook until bacon  is about half cooked.
  4. Add Brussels sprouts and cover the pan to steam the sprouts for a few minutes.
  5. Remove cover and cook until sprouts start to brown around the edges and the bacon crisps.
  6. Add garlic slices and fry 1 minute until softened. (or just use garlic powder)
  7. Salt and pepper to taste, serve hot, eat 'em up!

Archived