1st whole30, experiencing severe ear ringing

Jahlv

My husband and I are on day 8 of our first whole30. For the past 2 days he has been experiencing severe ear ringing. He has experienced tinnitus in the past, but never like this. Could this be from his body detoxing? Any suggestions or recommendations?

for tinnitus (rining in the ear), go see an ENT (specifically otologist) or an audiologist. Your hearing in both ears should be assessed followed by case history and discussion of tinnitus, etc as many different things can contriburte to its presnece (noise exposure, medications, diet, ear-related issues, etc).

Darn it. I saw this was all excited because I have also been having some ringing in my ears, not severe, but more than I ever have before. I'm on day 9 and I first noticed it a couple days ago.

However I'm not worried, I only notice it once or twice a day, and I totally chalked mine up to detox issues. 

• 2 years later...

I have been eating clean on and off for a year and have had a terrible run with tinnitus/vertigo. I had a feeling it was related to my diet. It went away recently when I was back to eating grains and sugar but now that I am eating clean the tinnitus is coming back so I am SURE it is diet related. If anyone has any insight please let me know. I read some where I should take a vitamin supplement so will do starting tomorrow!

• 1 year later...

I was hoping to read stories of how the Whole30 has improved people’s tinnitus... not made it worse!! I was considering starting another Whole30 cycle, figuring that getting back to an anti inflammatory diet might improve the symptoms. Many recommendations for tinnitus include dietary improvements that seem to overlap with the Whole30. Any more comments would be greatly appreciated.

I am on Day 8 and the ringing has increased the last few days.  I have always had tinnitus but this is a different pitch and louder. Any suggestions? I am reading other post and the common denominator is Day 8.  Just wondering if it improved for anyone.  

• 1 year later...

I am on my second Whole30 (last one was Aug 2019).  Both times about 4-5 days in I’ve gotten terrible tinnitus (ear ringing).  I don’t think that is a coincidence.  My assumption is it is detoxing, or something I’ve added or removed from my diet.

It went decreased after finishing my first whole30, once I reintroduced all the food groups.

I’ve seen an ENT and determined that is not any of the obvious things: damage, structural, sinus issues, etc.  His best guesses are natural aging (I’m 37), jaw clenching or diet.

My plan is to keep tract of it as I very slowly reintroduce foods next month, as well as keep a food journal day to day, so I can see any patterns.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I am doing my first Whole 30, and I am noticing the increased ringing in my ears that I see people have mentioned above.  As others, I have had mild tinnitus for years, but today, day 4, I am feeling spacey, a bit tired, and my the ringing in my ears is more intense and definitely louder!  It's so odd.  I wish there was more information about this, but glad to hear there are others who have also had this happen, and that is goes away eventually.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Megan E Smith said:

I am feeling spacey, a bit tired

I'm not sure what to tell you about the tinnitus, but do be sure you're eating enough, salting your food, and drinking plenty of water, as not doing any of those could contribute to the kind of spacy tired feeling.

• 7 months later...

I did whole 30 for the full time period and never had tinnitus, but 3 days after going back to eating normal I started to experience tinnitus.  It hasn’t gone away and it’s been about 4 months.  It’s a stressful experience that I feel most people can’t relate to.  I don’t know if it’s diet related.  I’m working with an ENT who put me on a steroid that didn’t work.  I’m thinking of trying Whole 30 again to see if it’s diet related.  Any guidance or support is appreciated. 

• 6 months later...

I had this tinnitus issue part way into my second week with my Whole 30. From my experience, you may want to double check your salt intake. I went from processed foods high in sodium to eating W30 style. Before my taste buds were cleansed enough for me to taste the wonderful natural foods, I found myself salting the food more for "flavor" to a point of nearly doubling the recommended intake. Too much salt or not enough water can bring on tinnitus. There are several possible causes, however, this change got rid of my tinnitus. I hope it helps.

Archived