Pre/Post workout meals on double workout days

bobbihall1

Does anyone here do two-a-days?  I typically going to crossfit in the am and then spin or yoga at night - 4 to 5 days a week. I make sure I have the proper pre/post workout snack, but does anyone know how that may apply on days when I do a double workout?  I suppose you would have a 2nd pre/post workout meal, but that seems like a ton of food, especially in the evening.  I typically get home from my 2nd workout by 7 and do not like to have a heavy meal in the evenings.   

Thanks for the help! 

• Moderators

I judge my need for pre and post workout food based on the intensity of the workout. For example, I always have post wo food for after lifting to feed my depleted muscles, even if it's just a couple ounces of chicken breast and a couple bites of cold sweet potato, but I don't bother with pre or post wo food for yoga or barre class or light cardio. But that's just me and my needs and the timing of my workouts. You can play around with it and major meal timing and decide if you need more food based on your hunger and fatigue/performance.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love some advice here too :)

My typical day has two work outs, a long commute and not much time at home. Here's what I'm planning for today (but I'd love feedback on it!)

5am - breakfast (today - 2 scrambled eggs with home-made almond milk, spinach and cherry tomateos, sauteed in coconut oil)

6am - plyometric training (45-60 mins) (alternatively this is 45-60 cardio)

7am - post workout snack - banana, 2 eggs and spinach

7.30am - leave for work

12pm - lunch (today - chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, and salad of spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and spring onions)

5pm - snack (today - almonds, dates and some roasted sprouts)

7pm - hot yoga (90 mins)

9pm - get home and have a light supper - (today - fish with steamed veggies)

It means I have to eat late and early but there's no way round it as far as I can see...

• Moderators

Optimally, you want every snack to match the Meal Template recommendations: protein, veggies, fat. Make that 5 pm snack include compliant tuna, sardines (both portable, no refrigeration needed) or a hard boiled egg or two. Add some baby carrots or bell pepper strips or raw broccoli or similar.

Swap the morning post WO banana with the lunch sweet potatoes.

• Moderators

Thank you! I switched things up yesterday and had a small pre workout snack (cashew butter) followed by a proper breakfast - the chicken and sweet potatoes. It really helped my blood sugar levels :)

A better pre workout snack would include protein and fat. Something like a hard boiled egg or olive oil packed sardines (my go-to). Cashew butter is considered fat only.

Archived