Breastfeeding mom feeling discouraged

I'm on day 11 of my whole 30 and am breastfeeding my three-month-old exclusively. I have followed the whole30 parameters to the letter with no slips and no excuses, but I am still waiting for that "magic" to kick in. It is a lot of work and planning for all meals (in addition to breastfeeding and chasing my toddler around). It would be worth it if I didn't feel physically the same to worse than I did before I started. My stomach is bothering me on and off, I've had a headache for three days straight and I am incredibly grumpy. Does this mean my body hasn't converted to the fat burning yet and I am still in "carb hangover" mode? I need some encouragement to stick with it, because I'm considering giving it a few more days and then giving up. My skin hasn't cleared up at all and my energy levels are still really inconsistent. I'm considering giving it a few more days and then giving up if something doesn't change. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. All of my meals are centered around protein with vegetables and some fat to help me feel full and occasionally fruit.

Hi there - I'm exclusively nursing my four-month-old and have twin toddls, so we're in similar situations. I'm on day 15 and haven't gotten to real magic yet, either. I'm thinking that the sleep deprivation is working against me - the body needs rest to heal and get into hormone balance. Maybe that's true for you too? There's not a lot I can do about it (if there were, I'd be doing it!), though, and I believe the science behind the W30 so I'm going to stay the course.

You've come so far already - and it may just be that as nursing moms, we have a ton of other hormones surging and it takes longer for the magic to take full effect. You can do it! stick with me and let's finish this thing!

I am so glad that I found you two! I'm on day 7 of the Whole30, and I'm exclusively nursing a 5 month old while also caring for my almost 3 year old. My first five days went relatively smoothly, no cravings or anything. The past two days I have had some cravings, which I worked through. My biggest concern is that I've been feeling rather cranky and impatient for the past 2 days. I'm not sure whether it'she hormones, or just my toddler pushing the limits of my patience or both. It is not fun to feel like this, and I feel like a bad mom : ( I',m committed to sticking with the program because I want to be healthy and set a good example for my boys. Is there anything that I can do to help me with my mood so that I'm not a royal b!@#h the whole time?

You are farther into this than I am, so I am inspired by both of your dedication : )

I was a little frustrated by my second week as well; I had done my first Whole30 2 years ago long before my baby was born, and felt the "magic" almost immediately, but not so much the second time around with a then 8 month old. It took me a lot longer to get my sleep straight, although I started having better workouts and feeling more chipper almost immediately. My doula told me that the disrupted sleep was some sort of primal response that a lot of breastfeeding mothers have--it has something to do with sleeping lightly to protect our young. That doesn't mean it didn't drive me absolutely batty anyway (I embarked on Whole30 2.0 primarly because I wanted to get my messed up sleep patterns "right" again). Have you thought about taking Magnesium? That's helped me with my sleep quite a bit, although it's not perfect. I think if you try and get as much sleep as you can (I know, I know, it's HARD) the rest will fall into place. I had no idea that hormones were going to continue to plague me so much even after I had my kid, but it seems like that's what is probably going on.

Keep your chin up and stick with it a little while longer and I bet you'll see something happen soon. Keep us updated!

Ambergunn, Bree and vtmama, you are doing a fantastic job. You are amazing to be doing this with little ones to feed. Realise what an important job you are doing, and take a nap or just sit down to cuddle the baby, whenever you can. You really should - mine are growing up, and I sooo wished I had been more gentle on myself and relished the chaotic babyhood more. I can clean the floor now when I want - I should have left it dirty back then!!!

Nap, rest, play, treat yourself and your children as often as possible. Don't try to be supermum, just be gentle with yourself and ask someone to do things for you. You are tired, and it's natures way of letting you be still and with the children.

I've breastfed four children and wish I'd known about this way of eating then. It can only help with the tiredness and irritability which comes with nursing little ones. I'm sure you'd feel less well if you were eating less well. I think at the stage you are at, you are going to feel tired, somewhat overwhelmed and emotional (grumpy!!!) but please go easy on yourselves, and forgive yourself for those days when you rage for no reason they can understand (they won't hold it against you).

You are doing a brilliant job. All that matters is that you nourish yourselves as well as you can, and be there for the littlies.

Well done, and keep up the good work.

Thank you all for the kind words! I think I read somewhere that things often get worse before they get better, so perhaps that is what is going on here. It will be great if my hormones even out and my mood improves. Could it be sugar cravings manifesting themselves as anger or crankiness when I tell them "no" and reach for good foods instead?

Today was another day where I felt stressed, anxious, edgy, and not very nice. It could also be a rough patch for me and my toddler, he's been pulling out all the stops and pushing all of the buttons. He even refused to let his aunt take him out to lunch so that I could get a little housework done or, heaven forbid, have a little "me" time.

On the brighter side, I am having "me" time now because the boys are sleeping. I'm having a little fun looking at dresses online because my sister is getting married in November. Regardless of what size I am then, if I am healthier then I'll look good in a fancy dress as long as I select one that is right for my shape (curvy). It will be exciting to wear something elegant because Mama don't wear dresses and heels around the house ..... they interfere with keeping up with the small folk!

Love this thread - sounds like we're having very similar experiences.

vtmama, I totally got cranky around day 7. Thought I was escaping the carb mood crash, and then WHOA! I felt like a stranger in my own skin - a stranger I did not like at all. Happy to report it passed after a few days. Hopefully you're about to leave it behind as well.

I'm having two issues. The first is increased afternoon hunger. Most people report a lessened appetite at this point (day 18). Not me! I'm having mid afternoon ravenous attacks - like the second trimester all over again! I can't make it through without a snack. This is very frustrating but I am not willing to undercut my nursing supply by ignoring hunger pangs...

The second is my inability to get regular exercise. I know, I know - I need (and want!) to just chill and enjoy the time with the baby and his brothers. But I also really want to get back to working out, which I love. The baby's naps are erratic at best and I get too wired when I work out after they're in bed. Sigh. I know I'll be able to pick it up again in a few months but I want to feel stronger in my body now.

Hey ladies! Day 9 here and still the emotional rollercoaster : ( i do not like it but i'm determined to push through and hope that "nice Mommy" will come back soon and leave psycho mommy behind forever! I read a helpful article called whole30 timeline or something like that. I am stuck in the "kill all things" phase and will be so glad when it passes!

I can't help but think that maybe i'm doing something wrong? I've been drinking coffee w/ coconut milk, have always had a cup a day. I know that some ppl disagree w/ coffee while bf, but the l.o. seems to be ok with it. Or is it the coffee that's making me so irritable? I've been moderate w fruit and nuts, enjoying lots of meat, eggs, and veg.

Bree, can you take the boys for walks? That's the only way i get exercise, taking them for a walk or a hike with baby in an Ergo carrier and toddler at my side : ) we go slow, but any excerise is better than none in my book : )

Thanks again everyone for the sharing and caring!

It'll pass, vtmama! Just hang in there and take lots of deep breaths. As if a newborn and toddler wouldn't be stressful enough!

If the caffeine isn't a new thing then I doubt it's an issue. But if you want, try half caff for a few days and see what happens?

And yes, we try to get out for walks as often as we can. And I just found a postnatal yoga class that looks really intriguing - you bring the baby!

Thanks Bree! That postnatal yoga sounds like fun. I used to do yoga but have not been in about six or seven years. I completely hear you on wanting to work out again, for the past couple of months I have been wanting to run. Thinking about getting a double jogging stroller, but unsure whether Mr. Toddler will permit himself to be contained in such a thing, even for the exciting purpose of "going fast" : )

You are right, kids are stressful. Wonderful little people, but oh the things they can do to test a parent's patience. I have faith that my moods will improve and the magic will come. Good idea about the half caff, may have to give that a try. As for hunger, I've been having 3 meals, with 2 "mini meals" in between to help with that because even this early on I have been rather hungry some days.

Thanks again, and good job sticking with it !!

I am on day 21 and I would say things got better around day 17 for me. I am tandem nursing a two year old and a five-year-old. Just recently morning shakes and just crankiness all day long has ended. I am a sugar addict and I am even cutting out fruit. I am worried after these 30 days as I am not feeling like I have post whole 30 control

Way to go everyone! I am finishing Day 16 here, feels good to be a little over halfway done. Feeling generally good, but not *magical* yet : ) Is it just me or has committing to Whole30 given you an iron will and a whole new lens through which to view food? Are any of you doing this with other family members? Just curious. Keep up the good work!

I think the magic may have quietly snuck up on me. Today I walked 3 miles, with 1 mile of that a steep up hill climb. While wearing baby and pushing toddler in stroller. We go for shorter walks sometimes, but anything this big would have me feeling exhausted at this time of night. That was pre whole 30. Today the walk felt great, and i'm holding strong energy wise. Could this be the beginning of that special feeling?? It IS day 23 after all : ) hope you all have gotten a taste of the magic too. It may whisper and not shout but it is undeniable.

Archived