movie theater snacking

kirkor

This image just popped in to my head as I was driving this morning ... eating & drinking while at a movie theater has got to be THE MOST egregious example of "mindless snacking" ...

sitting there in comfy chairs in a dark room, staring up at the big screen, bag of popcorn, box of candy, huge soda, etc etc.

Oftentimes a movie is attended *after* dining out so you've got snacking not because people are hungry but just because "it's what you do" while at a theater.

b0hzCID.jpg

Y'know for only a dollar more you can get _unlimited_ popcorn! Extra "butter"?? (diacetyl-flavored transfat)

• Administrators

And all of these chemically foods hit places in the brain that were never meant to be hit that hard and therefore create a response that people crave.  Take those two kids in your picture and send them to a movie theatre with a bottle of water and see if they pitch an absolute fit.  It's not that the movie was any different it's that they are programmed for the feeling that they get when they eat the garbage.

Once I stopped eating processed foods like that, I realized I don't even like going to the movies.  I don't like the crowds, I don't like not being able to pause the movie to go pee, I don't like not being able to adjust the volume or snuggle under my blanket.  I used to like going because it was an excuse, nay a requirement, to eat sugary junk!  Now I'd just rather wait until it comes out on Bluray and stay home!  

The worst part is walking to and from your seat.    The floor is so sticky from soda pop that's been dumped on the floor -  back to front of the  theatre.   Your tennis shoes stick to the floor and you're clack-a-lackin' back out to the street.  There's junior mints, dots, gummy bears smashed all over the floor and greasy popcorn.   It's a real mess.    That reminds me of Seinfeld when Kramer dropped those junior mints into the man having surgery  down below while he's in the observation booth.  rofl3.gif

Don't you love the folks who bring their own snacks or meals in from home.   I have loved the movies since I was a kid.

My wife has often told me about a family that brought a propane stove to the drive-in and cooked a huge pot of pasta and a pot of sauce during the first movie then ate during the second. They'd take up three spaces and bring folding tables.

Well, my friends and myself always sit with something or the other to eat before watching a movie. Its has become a habit for us. I think its just a part of entertainment and I don't find it necessary to avoid. 

For the purposes of getting the best long term results from your Whole30 results I would recommend avoidin all forms of eating that are purely for entertainment value and not for hunger themselves. So much of what we eat in America has to do with habit and ritual rather than nourishment and fuel. I'm not saying that eating can not or should not be an enjoyable experience. By all means make delicious and satisfying meals and enjoy them with friends. However having a snack just because you are going to watch a movie is just a habit and contributes to mindless eating.

• Moderators

Well, my friends and myself always sit with something or the other to eat before watching a movie. Its has become a habit for us. I think its just a part of entertainment and I don't find it necessary to avoid. 

Mindless eating and eating as a part of entertainment are exactly the habits the Whole30 is aiming to help you change. This doesn't mean you can never do it again, it means for 30 days we ask you to think about these habits and change them. This will help you to make conscious decisions about your food going forward, and not simply do it because everyone else is doing it.

• 1 month later...

I can't eat anything from a regular movie theater- not really.  I had to give up most chemical filled foods 17 years ago when I was diagnosed with a condition that flares when I eat certain things- I can't even have the water there bc it has potassium chloride in it.  So I usually bring sugar snap peas and apples etc.  A few years ago we got one of those fancy theaters that serves everything from popcorn with olive oil and sea salt to sushi or chicken breasts.  It is wildly overpriced but if we want dinner and a movie then at least there is real food- oh and cocktails : )

I can't even have the water there bc it has potassium chloride in it.

Which theaters? Or is that a feature of soda fountains in general? Maybe something to do with keeping the hoses from getting sticky ... I'd Google it but I'm on my phone :)

• 5 weeks later...

Growing up, my Mom would air pop our own popcorn, and we would bring it with us to the theater with water bottles. It wasn't until I was older that we started eating the crap they serve at the theater. It makes me crazy that the junk they serve is considered mainstream, but bringing whole, natural foods is not. 

i-sneak-popeye-amp-039-s-chicken-into-th

In many states, restaurants do not allow food from the outside to be brought into their establishment because of food safety laws.

7f4a9d26a917c2633fa8b90ec713e23b2d74f548

Theaters abide by the same requirements.  They're also there to make a profit and keep their doors open. This is why sneaking the snacks in vs. openly bringing in sacks of popcorn and snacks is observed.   :D 

funny-hiding-food-theater-clothes1.jpg

Growing up, my Mom would air pop our own popcorn, and we would bring it with us to the theater with water bottles.

Yea, that's what we always did when I was a kid, too.  Although I think it was usually diet soda rather than water. 

Frogtox...that is hysterically funny.  :D  :lol: 

My grandmaw thought that all of the condiments on restaurant tables were meant for her to keep. I'm talking all of the artificial sweetners.  She's a true WW Legacy.  She would throw all of them into her big ole purse.  No grandmaw, all of those are not meant for you to keep. She didn't take anything else, ever.  She only wanted the pink stuff.  Her purse was epic, filled with that pink stuff, broken ones in the bottom.  Legendary.

• 1 month later...

I really think that we eat during a movie just out of habit. Just went last weekend...drank some water, didn't take or eat any food, and I was fine. Came home after and ate M3. Just change that habit.  PS...loved the movie!  :)

• Administrators

I really think that we eat during a movie just out of habit. Just went last weekend...drank some water, didn't take or eat any food, and I was fine. Came home after and ate M3. Just change that habit.  PS...loved the movie!   :)

Perfect!  :D

What movie did you see?

Archived