Day 15- Frustrated and Ready to Throw in the Towel

AmaliaD

Help!

I am at day 15 and am so frustrated and disappointed.  I don't feel any better or worse on the program, and while I wasn't in it to lose weight, I wasn't in it to GAIN!

I can't say for certain what the outcome is in terms of weight gain or loss, but my pants don't fit and I DON'T like it! I keep waiting for this magic to happen and it's not.  I know that bloat is part of it early on, but I feel like things should be progressing for the better at this point?  I eat compliant, and I exercise regularly.  What the hell is up with this muffin top/flat tire?  I didn't have this problem before??

My brain is ready to check out and go back to what I know works.  Anyone else experience this?

I know you're waiting for someone to respond! I have not had the experience you're talking about, i'm a few days behind you, but I'm noticing things deflating, and starting to become less inflamed. 

How's your sleeping? Can you do anything to improve that? 

What level of daily stress do you carry with you- all these things factor into our whole wellness, and could be hanging on even though you're eating compliant. I sure do hope you get a few people to get on here to answer you. In my experience, which is quasi-paleo before this, I have always found that when I'm very compliant and stick to this, it continues to work for me.

• Moderators

I know that it's frustrating to feel like you're getting worse, not better, but hang in there. There's a reason it's a 30-day program, not a 15-day program.

If you list a few days' worth of food, water intake, exercise, and sleep, we might be able to help you figure out if there's anything you could change to have better results.

In general, a few things that tend to come up over and over when people are bloated: Eating too many nuts or eating a lot of cruciferous type vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage), and for some people, they find that they've increased how much they're eating of something that's totally on plan, but that they have a reaction to -- could be nightshade vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes are the most common ones), maybe they have a sensitivity to coconut. 

Some people find that taking probiotics or eating probiotic rich foods, or taking digestive enzymes, can help with bloating. Google Whole30 bloating for lots of previous discussions.

• Moderators

The Whole30 timeline offers some clues to what you are going through. Everyone goes through these phases at different times, or sometimes not at all.

One reason we ask you not to weigh yourself is that your weight has little to do with your health. Right now your body is healing itself from possibly years of eating less than optimally. Your weight may fluctuate as this occurs. You are getting closer to real health! Hang in there til the end, and you should get past this part soon.

Please do post your meals from the past few days so we can see if anything jumps out at us that might help to change.

You're doing great and this too shall pass. Give yourself some kudos for staying off the scale - that in itself is a huge psychological victory.

Thank you all for your replies!

I really do appreciate it... 

To respond to the "What am I eating?" question.  Here is a typical day for me:(yesterday anyway)

Bfast= 2-3 eggs with green onions  (cooked in about a spoonful of coconut oil) on a bed of spinach with about 1/4 of an avocado and some fruit.  Lately it's been about a cup of cantaloupe...  Plus some coffee with homemade almond milk.

Lunch= a big salad with leftover meat (chicken the last couple of days), plus some raw veggies (mushrooms, cucumbers) with the other 1/4 of the avocado.  Plus some almonds or almond butter with an apple and a sprinkle of coconut chips.

Dinner= (last night) Zoodles with some Aidells Meatballs and a side salad with olive oil and apple cider Vinegar

I regularly squeeze in a run during lunch 3 days a week for about 20-25 min, and then do a barre class on Sundays.

This is actually pretty much what I eat every day in some form or another.  We had beef stew for dinner one night, lemon chicken the other.. etc etc

This is honestly not much different than what I ate prior to starting Whole30.  I cut out alcohol, dairy and stevia/sweeteners.  I have read that some times eggs cause bloating, so I was thinking of switching up my breakfast to leftovers instead of eggs.

You are right on the psychological thing though- I think this has been the hardest part for me.  The food has been pretty easy!?!

Thanks!

• Administrators

We've all been so conditioned to believe that an increase in size or our pants getting tighter is because we're gaining weight.  Our bodies are not two by fours that are static, we're dynamic and fluid and we fluctuate up and down as the case requires.  Your gut is in healing mode right now after years of sugar, alcohol, dairy, chemical sweeteners, probably soy food additives and other nasties too.  Those new gut bacteria that are being formed may be causing a bit of bloat or water retention.  As uncomfortable as it is, especially in our society, to see your clothes get a bit tighter or your stomach puff up, it's all a part of the healing process.

Good on you for coming here and asking the question instead of throwing in the towel or suffering alone!  Shannon and Ultrarunner both gave you awesome responses and ideas, let us know how you go!

Aidells Meatballs 

The other ladies have given you some great advice.

I hadn't heard of Aidells Meatballs before, so I looked those up and I'm sorry to day none of the varieties listed online are compliant. Are you sure these don't have sugar or soy?

Besides all the great advice above, I see a lot of raw veggies in your log - that can cause bloating, along with the nuts. Perhaps try switching to all cooked veggies, plus dropping the nuts and see if you notice improvement?

• Administrators

I'm on day 15 as well and feeling super tired, with headaches more frequent than normal. Not sure about weight gain, I'm avoiding the scale still. I'm feeling a bit fed up too, and ready for that energy to kick in everyone talks about!!

Hi Dempsey, extra tired and ongoing headaches is usually an indicator that you aren't eating enough.  Post a couple days of meals (including portion sizes), fluids, sleep, stress and exercise so that we can see if anything stands out and maybe help you feel a bit better.

I feel like I eat a lot each meal but it doesn't always stick with me til the next meal. I haven't figured out great snacks yet either. So maybe that is the problem. I don't think there are any major red flags in my meals, unless I'm reacting to eggs or nightshades. I usually go with a recommended portion size, but I'll try eating more the next couple of days and see if that helps! Can't complain about being told to eat more :)

I'm on day 15 as well and feeling super tired, with headaches more frequent than normal. Not sure about weight gain, I'm avoiding the scale still. I'm feeling a bit fed up too, and ready for that energy to kick in everyone talks about!!

Me too!  I'm not exactly exhausted, but I don't feel like I have so much energy that I can't wait to exercise or anything like that.  Today I got very sick to my stomach while I was eating lunch.  I couldn't finish eating and have no desire to eat now.  I'm not sure what that was about.  But, that combined with the migraines I've been getting and the tight pants is enough for me to want to throw in the towel too.  I'm going to try to keep going anyway, but I definitely feel less than ideal right now.  I'm on day 12 though, if that makes any difference.

• Administrators

I feel like I eat a lot each meal but it doesn't always stick with me til the next meal. I haven't figured out great snacks yet either. So maybe that is the problem. I don't think there are any major red flags in my meals, unless I'm reacting to eggs or nightshades. I usually go with a recommended portion size, but I'll try eating more the next couple of days and see if that helps! Can't complain about being told to eat more :)

Hi Dempseyreed,

We actually recommend no snacking, try to create your meals to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.  The recommended portion sizes are a range so if you aren't feeling well fed enough with the narrow end of the range, go ahead and up it.  Here's the template just in case you haven't seen it.

• Administrators

Me too!  I'm not exactly exhausted, but I don't feel like I have so much energy that I can't wait to exercise or anything like that.  Today I got very sick to my stomach while I was eating lunch.  I couldn't finish eating and have no desire to eat now.  I'm not sure what that was about.  But, that combined with the migraines I've been getting and the tight pants is enough for me to want to throw in the towel too.  I'm going to try to keep going anyway, but I definitely feel less than ideal right now.  I'm on day 12 though, if that makes any difference.

Hey Nikki, I understand not feeling optimal and like throwing in the towel sounds good.  The thing is though....you are eating meat, veggies, fat and some fruit (I assume) which is as clean and healthy as you can get and adding back sugar or dairy isn't going to help, unfortunately.

It is a 30 day program and you're still relatively near the start of it.  As always, post a few days of intake and we can see if something looks funny.  But trust the program, zip around the forum and you'll see you are definitely not alone and that it does get better!

Hi Dempseyreed,

We actually recommend no snacking, try to create your meals to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. The recommended portion sizes are a range so if you aren't feeling well fed enough with the narrow end of the range, go ahead and up it. Here's the template just in case you haven't seen it.

I do avoid snacks as best as I can, but I'm in class 3 nights out of the week and can't get home til close to 8. Those days are the worst, so I've had to allow myself something to eat before class to keep me going. But I agree that we need to up our portion sizes and see if that seems to help, and maybe up the calories in each meal as well. Thanks!

• Administrators

I do avoid snacks as best as I can, but I'm in class 3 nights out of the week and can't get home til close to 8. Those days are the worst, so I've had to allow myself something to eat before class to keep me going. But I agree that we need to up our portion sizes and see if that seems to help, and maybe up the calories in each meal as well. Thanks!

Oh goodness, you have quite a different situation. In your case having mini-meals with you (protein and fat for sure, ideally also some veg) is probably going to be essential on those nights!

Hello! I am also a "Newbie" to this program. I am on day 17 and I have to admit I am proud of myself. I am close to 75 lbs overweight as well as by husband. So to support each other, we started out on this journey on January 1st together. Which was wonderful. We would whip up our own mayo, cook sweet potato fries and would be exploring ways to eat healthier together. We promised we would not weigh until the 30th and we were planning a special meal on the 31st. The issue is...he messed up on day 16!! He confessed he had a sandwich from a mini mart. I was devastated. I am so dissapointed. This was not only a set back for him..but for me as well. Our journey together stops as he is now back on day 1. 

I have struggled with weight all of my life. I HAVE to change my eating behaviors. But now...I have to push forward even more. And how I would love a bottle of wine right now! I am in the process of "mourning" some foods..but now I am "mourning" the "loss" of my partner.

Hello! I am also a "Newbie" to this program. I am on day 17 and I have to admit I am proud of myself. I am close to 75 lbs overweight as well as by husband. So to support each other, we started out on this journey on January 1st together. Which was wonderful. We would whip up our own mayo, cook sweet potato fries and would be exploring ways to eat healthier together. We promised we would not weigh until the 30th and we were planning a special meal on the 31st. The issue is...he messed up on day 16!! He confessed he had a sandwich from a mini mart. I was devastated. I am so dissapointed. This was not only a set back for him..but for me as well. Our journey together stops as he is now back on day 1. 

I have struggled with weight all of my life. I HAVE to change my eating behaviors. But now...I have to push forward even more. And how I would love a bottle of wine right now! I am in the process of "mourning" some foods..but now I am "mourning" the "loss" of my partner.

Keep going, though! He can catch up.

..but now I am "mourning" the "loss" of my partner.

why? He is still your partner. So, he messed up. He's starting again at day 1 so that gives you a full 45 days to do this together, that's fantastic!

My first whole30 was several years ago. At the time 30 days or even 15 days seemed like a big deal, but now, I recognize that those are just a few weeks of a long life with infinite opportunities to give my body healthy nutritious food. Think of those added days as a bonus (who knows, you might want to keep going even longer).

I was just about to post the same exact thing (as the original post)...I just finished Day 13 and I have never felt more bloated.  It is discouraging to think that I have not had any wine or cheese in 2 weeks and my pants are tighter than ever before.  I haven't slipped up on any of my eating and I am exercising every day.  I am going to follow the advice and stick with it, but I really, really, really need to see and feel results soon.

Do you have any updates on how you are feeling now?   :)    

Hi!

Thanks again for the helpful posts. I woke up the next day feeling better... Maybe not any more or less bloated, but motivated, and ready to keep going.

I realized I have not surrendered my brain to this whole thing. I was so anxious for the results that I am still subconsciously measuring and tracking in my head. I plan to make this a Whole 45 and really get my head in the game!

I am finding this post really helpful! I am on day 17, have not slipped at all. I do think I am seeing some changes: I am sleeping great, my skin looks amazing, and my energy levels are good. I also feel really, really happy but I have re-started my workout regimen, so that could also be affecting my cheerfulness.  However, my clothes are fitting the same or possibly even tighter.  I have had a really easy time with taking on this type of eating.  For me, the hardest part was getting rid of my snacking habits, but they sort of fell away naturally around week 2.  I am wondering if maybe I should give up potatoes and sweet potatoes, as other elimination diets discourage these items.  I have only had potatoes 2-3 times in the 17 days, but I am probably eating sweet potatoes 5 times a week.  An example of my daily diet is below:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, spinach, peppers and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, homemade turkey sausage with fresh herbs, berries OR sweet potato hash in place of the sausage. Coffee with homemade almond milk

Lunch: Salad, chicken breast, raw bell pepper, jicama, cucumber, dressing made of olive oil, lemon/lime, herbs OR something hot like spaghetti squash, ground turkey meat, and homemade marinara with ground carrots

Dinner: Pork chop, homemade apple chutney, steamed broccoli OR cauliflower "rice" with braised beef in salsa, with half an avocado

Reading this is also making me wonder if I am overdoing it on the red bellpepper/nightshades, but that would be such a bummer!  I would appreciate everyones input.  I am not really thinking of dropping the program because I think this is a great way to eat, but I am concerned. I have about 40 lbs to lose before my wedding in July, and I want to be on the right track!

Also, I am doing barre classes 3 days a week, and going for one hour walks/ doing one hour on the elliptical trainer 6 days a week. 

Thanks!

Your food looks fine, and I would encourage you to stay the course without trying to eliminate potatoes or sweet potatoes or nightshades in general. Try the whole30 for 30 days, and then, if you find you didn't get the results you want you could experiment with other things, based on known issues people have with certain foods (ie. body aches from nightshades. you didn't mention this kind of pain, so why eliminate them?). Do not worry. Stay the course.

But then, there is this: 

I have about 40 lbs to lose before my wedding in July, and I want to be on the right track!

Please erase this thought from your mind because I can assure you you do not. You do not need to lose 40lbs for your wedding. Your fiancé loves you now. Your family and friends love you now and there is no portal a bride must fit through that you can not fit through now. Take care of your health, sure, be tender to yourself and feed yourself nutritious foods, and maybe a few pounds will leave, but feeling your best on your wedding day is an exercise in confidence not slenderness. Don't allow yourself to fall into that sort of trap. You are already good enough.

Don't give up. He can catch up. You now can help him by example. I lost my partner too. I have trudged forward. At the end of the day I want to feel better and make healthy eating choices. No one can do it for me. I have to do it for my self. You have to do it for you. You are over half way there. Do Not Give Up! I didn't.

Archived