One Good Whole30 choice I made today is:

MeadowLily

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“...the reward centers of the brain--where the pleasure of those high-calorie foods registers--also respond to other substances that bring about pleasure....But those reward centers also respond to other gratifying things, like watching a sunset or experiencing a loving touch...So while you may not be able to change the wiring in your brain, you can "feed" those reward centers other pleasures...Biology isn't destiny when you have effective strategies...” 
― 
Bob GreeneThe Life You Want

“Unfortunately, it will take more than one conversation to unlearn the lies we learned growing up. We learned those lies situation by situation, and I am afraid we’ll have to unlearn them the same way.” 
― 
Barb RavelingTaste for Truth

“The renewing of the mind, like a home improvement project, is a taking off and putting on. You take off the old self. You put on the new self. You takes off the lies. You put on the truth. You take off a cultural perspective. You take off what you learned growing up. ” 
― 
Barb Raveling

18 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

“Eating crappy food isn't a reward -- it's a punishment.” 
― 
Drew Carey

Eating multi-crap isn't a reward...it's a punishment. Diabetes and disease doesn't care about holidays, birthdays, potlucks, vacays and cruises.  Diabetes never sleeps or goes on a vacation.

• 1 month later...

How Trekking Poles Can Make Your Hike Easier, Faster And Safer

I went for a hike.  I had to readjust my sails because it is snowing.  I always use my trekking poles to pull myself up steep ridges, hill and mountainsides.  Using my arms to pull my weight up is strength training. Now, it's snowing. I'll still use my leki poles and bundle up for the weather.

Today is Day 57 day of a hiking streak I have going on.

I can hike 6 miles of mountains in 90 minutes.  It takes 2 hours for 7 miles. The hardest part is coming down. It's actually easier to hike straight UP a mountainside.  I have to use caution coming down to preserve the ankles, legs, everything.  

My dog goes along and when she's tired, she gets right on my heels.  I have to watch to make sure those poles don't knock both of us off of our feet.   

It's winter. I'm going. No rationalizations.

This hiking streak has done more for me than all of the hiking I've been doing in the last 2.5 years.  I suppose because I'm lighter on my feet. I can literally smoke the steep mountainsides without getting out of breath.

They say that after 10 days of taking a break,  you're pretty much back at square one...so I've got to keep going.  Quitting will get me nowhere good. 

Get yourself some trekking poles.  They'll increase your abilities. Plant them hard when you're in a tight spot...going UP and coming down.  Use them even on the flat stretches.  

How Trekking Poles Can Make Your Hike Easier, Faster And Safer

They help you hike faster and evenly distribute your weight. They make heavier loads easier to carry.  You can use them to make a shelter in an emergency. The less expensive aluminum ones will get the job done but go for the better pair. 

Image result for photos hiking with trekking poles

Go outside;  the earth is a gym and we're already members. The membership is free.

I recommend trekking poles if you're just getting started and want to start walking out your front door at some speed above zero. This is how I started 2.5 years ago. 

I know that in this day of extreme sports where people leap from helicopters onto snowboards and carve their way down Mount Everest...and everyone and their cousin is doing a marathon in every state and two on Sunday...

Robert in accounting is doing an Ironman while carrying a grizzly bear on his back to bring awareness to the plight of the grizzly bear.... 

And somehow, a person who goes for a hike or a walk feels the need to put the word "just" in front of their accomplishment.  As in...I just walked down the road for an hour and I wasn't even walking fast.

Let me tell you something, Felicias...You got dressed and walked or hiked for an hour at some speed above completely still. 

What is an athlete?  It's someone who's moving and giving it all they've got.

Don't let anyone or yourself put the word "just" in front of your efforts. That's another mind warp just like the scales.  

Be inspired with your own good decisions.  Don't compare yourself to anyone.  Keep your eyes straight ahead.  Don't look to the left or to the right or behind you in the rearview mirror.    

@kirkor

Not yet!  I've not doing it in the exact suggested order because I have a huge family dinner tonight...so will probably do some sort of grains this evening.  Then will do a slow reintro as and when the foods come along.  I'd like to stick to Whole30 diet as much as possible from now on because I enjoyed this month so much!  :)

“Eating crappy food isn't a reward -- it's a punishment.”

Today is Black Friday and I want to buy multi-crap just like everyone else is doing. They say that those battery operated skin brushes can actually lead to broken capillaries on your face. And too much of anything is never a good thing. 

Heckatoot, I guess I'll just wash my face like I've always done with a pinecone, dirt and old grass clippings.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/30/face-cleansing-brush-skincare_n_3039220.html

Joy comes in the morning. Your sense of purpose and mind is renewed every single day. Tool along the backroads of this forum and read everything. No limitations. The sky is not the limit of what you will learn.  

No one can do this for you. One day, when all of your friends have gone missing, I can still find comfort without that imaginary comfort and peace of mind I never got from thrill eating.

Don’t rest too much. Too much rest can weaken your muscles, which can worsen joint pain. Find an exercise program that is safe for your knees and stick with it. If you're not sure which motions are safe or how much you can do, talk with your doctor or a physical therapist.

Do exercise. Cardio exercises strengthen the muscles that support your knee and increase flexibility. Weight training and stretching do, too. For cardio, some good choices include walking, swimming, water aerobics, stationary cycling, and elliptical machines. 

Don’t risk a fall. A painful or unstable knee can make a fall more likely, which can cause more knee damage. Curb your risk of falling by making sure your home is well lit, using handrails on staircases, and using a sturdy ladder or foot stool if you need to reach something from a high shelf.

650x350_knee_physical_therapy_ref_guide.jpg

I have no idea where the eggs only breakfasts started but I didn't read that in ISWF. In fact, on pages 192-193 are some good ideas.

If I'd been eating eggs only breakfasts, I would've grown weary long, long ago.  Probably on Day 10.  

ISWF doesn't say you can't have any fruit.  Just don't drink it and don't eat fruit all by itself.  So I don't.

There's Melissa's idea for an egg scramble with fruit, spinach, fresh herbs and pecans. The sky is not the limit... what you can do with eggs and you do not ever have to eat them alone.

I include grilled salmon, trout, halibut or perch; fowl, bacon, chops, beef or wildgame with eggs.  I don't eat fruit standing alone or eggs either. 

Your morning fix need not include boredom or groundhog day.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived