One Good Whole30 choice I made today is:

MeadowLily

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/14/2017 at 0:44 PM, MeadowLily said:

Food Freedom Forever does not mean you do a Whole 30 Forever.

A Whole 30 is 30 days. 

Food Freedom Forever is finding your own way of eating that will carry you waaaay beyond into the future. 

I am new to this and toward the end of my Whole30.  I am not sure what the rest of time looks like - it is mostly Whole30 right?  We redefine our habits which means cutting out junk food and snacking.  Perhaps it should be called WholeLiving? After the reintro phase, aren't we just hurting our guts again? I assume the hope is we live healthier lives?  My new Habits are 3 meals a day which do not include added sugar, preservatives, grains, etc.  Can you tell I am nervous about the whole thing....

9 minutes ago, Vguck said:

I am new to this and toward the end of my Whole30.  I am not sure what the rest of time looks like - it is mostly Whole30 right?  We redefine our habits which means cutting out junk food and snacking.  Perhaps it should be called WholeLiving? After the reintro phase, aren't we just hurting our guts again? I assume the hope is we live healthier lives?  My new Habits are 3 meals a day which do not include added sugar, preservatives, grains, etc.  Can you tell I am nervous about the whole thing....

Melissa says....

"Here’s what we typically see. People coming off a traditional “American” diet for the first time tend to rely heavily on fruit, nuts and nut butters in their first attempt at the Whole30. While they are much better food choices than you old sweet treats, obviously we’d encourage you to work your way towards better food choices, the further along you are in the program. So as you notice that you’re hitting the nut butters too hard, for example, perhaps pull back and try to add fat in the form of other good sources (coconut milk, avocado, olive oil, etc.). You’ll naturally become more aware of your food choices, the further along you go, and naturally develop a healthier, happier relationship with ALL foods.

Just know it’ll take longer than 30 days for that to happen! It’s really a life-long pursuit – breaking those old emotional ties to food and developing a new, healthier relationship. Just stick with it and continue to be honest with yourself about your food choices, cravings and habits, and the time WILL come when you can enjoy that chocolate bar and then jump right back on the Good Food Train."

Dallas said...

"If you’re craving carbs (read: SUGAR!), eat fat and protein. Giving yourself sugar is NOT the route to go. But also, adding 1/2 & 1/2 to your coffee won’t make you feel better. We’ve observed in (literally) hundreds of people that “falling off the wagon” with things like pizza and cake only lead to more “falling off”. Get back on the Good Food Train."

22 minutes ago, Vguck said:

All valid and thoughtful questions. You can call it whatever you want after a Whole 30 but Melissa calls it Food Freedom Forever. 

There are many people who don't have food sensitivities or allergies.  The reasons for conducting a Whole 30 are broad and wide.  You can create your own rules and recommendations after a Whole 30.   Choices and Consequences.

A Whole 30 doesn't place value judgments on food.  No better or worse. Your choices will be individual and taylored for you.  

I think you're exploring how you want to eat moving forward. It will take longer than 30 days to sort it all out.  Just make sure you do a reintro phase to find out exactly where you are with all food groups.  Those who do not conduct one regret it later. 

27 minutes ago, Vguck said:

Melissa  said back in 2010...

"While it is an interesting topic, all we are doing is encouraging people to do the best they can, within their own individual guidelines and means. That’s going to look a bit differently for everyone, but in our Workshops, we stress making good food CHOICES and focusing on quality if and when you have mental and financial capacity. For me personally, I’m going to eat as healthily as I can, even if that means giving up other things to support my Good Food habit. (We also have no cable TV, don’t do much in terms of outside entertainment like movies or concerts, and happily curb material purchases to be able to eat the way we know is best for our health and fitness.)

To everyone: We support your efforts to do the best YOU can, via whatever guidelines and moral/ethical codes you’ve chosen, and within whatever mental, financial and lifestyle constraints that you may be dealing with, whatever that may look like. If you’re choosing to do the best you can by participating our Whole30 program, we’re here to support and help you as much as we can along the way.

Here’s how I’d spin it. If you told me, “I LOVE my pasta. I’m a pasta addict – I eat it every day! So I’ll give up my pasta, but replace it with Paleo pasta instead!” I’d perhaps suggest you think long and hard about the choices you’re making, and what you are doing to curb your self-described unhealthy pasta addiction via your psuedo-pasta food choices. Since that’s NOT the case, I’m great with your Paleo-fied meal! We do a spaghetti squash/ground beef/tomato sauce version ourselves, and it’s super delicious and very filling.

We’re just cautioning people to pay attention to the food choices they’re making, to ensure they’re not just using “Paleo” as a get out of jail free card with respect to changing patterns, habits and unhealthy behaviors. If you take a long, honest look at your food choices, you’ll be able to tell for yourself what’s behind those choices."

I go back to the well and tool along the backroads of this forum for answers, answers, answers. There's an endless supply of answers.  I enjoy bringing them back to my remembrance. They're just too good to let them slip away.   bye smiley 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i_kissed_a_dog_tiles-re1c27be12f884bbd81

Got dog breath?

If I had to choose between loving you and breathing

I would use one of my breaths to tell you

You've got dog breath

Eat some whole food carbs

Say goodbye to dog breath

Is it the dog or you

You'll know

Your friends will run and hide

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ff1e1ac7603c6ce25cc197d654701896--yoga-l

But don't edit your posts. You actually can't edit them after 15 minutes. That's a good thing.

Out of the abundance of your heart your mouth is speaking. Your words reveal who and where you are.

One day, you'll look back and see how far you've come. It doesn't matter if it was like a herd of turtles.

You can Grow Through What You Go Through.

Your heart introduces you before you even speak. Be happy with what you have while you're working for what you want.   

• 3 weeks later...

Archived