Need to carry lunch and dinner...in my purse all day?

SusanB.

Strange situation here, but I have to make a day trip next weekend that will have me leaving the house at 6:00am and returning around midnight. No luggage to speak of. Will be traveling by bus (trip is about 5 hours each way).

Where I'm headed there will certainly be food (NYC! There will be food), but I can't count on anything at all about this day. So much is going to depend on whether I get in on time, whether my meeting up with people works out, how long the lines are (going to a museum). It might end up bus station-museum-bus station.

Pre-30, I would have counted on keeping an apple and some power bars in my purse, knowing I could grab a pretzel or slice of pizza (or just about anything) on the run. 

I can cope with eating breakfast before I leave in the morning. But....what in the world to carry with me in case I can't happen upon something compliant on the road? I am not expecting to have any sort of sit down "lunch" or "dinner".

I note that my inclination is "just don't go", but that would represent my choosing to give up something that is very important to me (seeing this Matisse exhibit before it closes) in service of my eating habits - and that strikes me as more dysfunctional than my non-30 eating habits. 

Open to suggestions of all types, if anyone has any.

• Moderators

Hard boiled eggs, tuna in a pouch, jerky for protein; nuts, olives, coconut for fat; crudités for veg and any number of self contained pieces of fruit. Lots of variations on the template there for two meals. You can do this. And more than likely you can find something compliant on the road. But it's smart to come in force!

I had to carry food all day (from 5am-8pm) and I made a homemade chicken salad with mayo and chopped up celery and cucumber with it. I also brought roasted boneless chicken thighs an avocado, and cold sweet potatoes. I ate breakfast at home and didn't bring too much,but made the portion be as much as I would normally take if I was eating at home. I don't think doing this for 30 days should make you miss anything. Good luck!

I really appreciate the suggestions. And I have a week to figure out the logistics of what I can bring that doesn't need refrigeration, what won't get crushed and the like.

I might be going alone. I'm trying to talk a friend into joining me....he's a vegetarian and we used to go to NYC regularly back in the day. Oh, the non-compliant things that we would eat. He's nice enough that he won't rub it in, but I don't want to point out in advance that there will be no

1. this time around if he joins me. Or else I would definitely end up going alone!

Schnippers is very close to the bus station and while I don't know the oil they cook their meats in (haven't gone while on a W30) they do have a side salad you can get with olive oil and vinegar.  As well NYC has a sushi restuarant every block so if you maybe back a small container of coconut aminos you can get sashimi and dip in that. 

If you go alone and are wiling to move around NY Hu Kitchen down by union square will be fantstic for compliant meals, lots of veggie sides if your friend is with you.   There's also a Whole Foods by columbus circle which is really pretty close to MOMA. 

good luck with your trip. i wish i had so e ideas to share but today is only day 1 for me on whole30 ... keep us posted on your choices though ... i am also trying to figure out the logistics of food on the go during these next 30 days and beyond. take care, sue

I'd carry a bit more than a purse if possible (small daypack).

I'm vegetarian (but follow the normal version of the whole30) so I'd take a few boiled eggs, a heap of nuts and a salad (or two). At this time of year all of those will keep fine unless you spend hours in a sauna. I'd probably throw in a few potatoes (boiled or roasted) as well, I eat a lot. Either take or grab a few pieces of fruit and you'll be good to go.

If I was adding meat into the mix I'd either take a chicken breast or a can or two of tuna.

Any diner style eating place or average (sit down) restuarant would do steamed vegies and some sort of potatoe if you asked. So if you do end up with time for a meal then it shouldn't be a big problem.

This weekend's trip got pushed off until next weekend - toe surgery isn't healed enough for the walking I need to do. 

But I am logging all of these suggestions.

I love the cooler - going to take measurements and see if it might suit my needs. The one I have that I bring to work is good, but the size is weird - it's not too small, but it's set up strange so I can't fit that much into it.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread after asking about my day at Universal Studios and needing to carry food in a backpack! Great ideas here!

This weekend's trip got pushed off until next weekend - toe surgery isn't healed enough for the walking I need to do. 

But I am logging all of these suggestions.

I love the cooler - going to take measurements and see if it might suit my needs. The one I have that I bring to work is good, but the size is weird - it's not too small, but it's set up strange so I can't fit that much into it.

So, did you end up going way back when?  How was it?  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love all of these ideas! I'm going to be away for a long weekend (Friday AM - Sunday PM) during my reintroduction, and I'm trying to plan out what to bring as well. Fortunately, I am staying in a small house with a kitchen (gotta love Airbnb!), so I will have the luxury of cooking throughout the weekend, but we will be out and about most of the time. I bought some Rxbars, and Primal Packs to keep with me in case I have to go longer than normal between meals, but I really don't like to rely on those as meal substitutes. Great suggestions!!

• 9 months later...

So, did you end up going way back when?  How was it?  :)

That was a year ago! And yes, although I ended up driving to a friend's house (instead of busing it), so it was easier to deal. Had best lunch I could. Carried an Epic bar in case of emergency. Was introduced to "Korean Carrot Salad" (actually a Russian dish) and realized too late that there was likely sugar in it.

I am reviving this zombie thread, in case there are any more bright ideas for things that might fit the bill? I'm headed for a weekender by train, and will be traveling with a foodie companion. I'd like to stash a few things if I can - just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived