Question about adding fat

I just finished ISWF last night -- I promised myself I wouldn't ask any questions until I did, in case it is answered in the book!!

Anyway, I still have one lingering question about adding fat as per the meal template. Does the recommended amount of added oil, coconut, nuts, etc, assume that I am eating lean meat like a skinless chicken breast? Or do those guidelines still apply if I am eating skin-on chicken thighs or a fatty pork shoulder roast?

Thanks!

So glad you asked this question. I am not finished with the book, but am getting close and that question has been burning in my mind..which is weird since I did my first Whole30 over a year ago and never had that question. Hope one of the Mods will pipe up with their wisdom. :)

I am going to give it a go, but I could be totally wrong. Because Whole30 is not about definite amounts for a one size fits all, but guidelines that I have a feeling it depends on the person just like the guidelines of fat in the first place. I am referring to the one or two thumbs worth of fat. So, if someone was small (or wants to be smaller..not that the purpose of Whole30 is to lose weight) or inactive, maybe they would want to be conscious of how much fat on top of the lucious fat on and in the rib eye (for example). If someone has a high metabolism and does crossfit 5 days a week and is typically starving between lunch and dinner, I'd think they'd be more generous with the fat. Lets see if I'm even close. :rolleyes:

If you are eating a pretty fatty cut, then you don't want to over-do it. If you are eating a lean cut OR you have drained off the fat, then you should add some additional fat back in. If I eat grilled grass fed beef I might add a little fat to my meal. If it's grass fed meat sauce or a chili where I did not drain any fat, I won't really add much else. You should have some fat in each meal, though.

Archived