Beef jerky

I do it and it's super easy! I use 80% ground beef. I make a jerky spice blend that has cumin, hickory smoked salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder. For 2 lbs of beef I use about 3 Tbsp of seasoning. Mix it all in well with the beef then roll it out on a piece of parchment papper until it's about an 8th of an inch thick. Sometimes I roll it a bit thicker if I want a chewier jerky. Square off the sides of the beef so it's square or rectangular and then use a butter knife to score it into the size pieces you want. (Keeping in mind the finished pieces will be a bit smaller than they are whe it's raw.) Put the pieces on your dehydrator tray and set it to 150 or so degrees for 8-10 hours. I know some people use the oven on the lowest setting but I've never done that. I was lucky and got a super awesome dehydrator for free from someone who wasn't using it as much as he thought he would. It's about a half hour of prep time for 2lbs beef and well worth it considering how expensive W30 approved jerky is. I hope that helps but I'm happy to answer other questions. The butcher at my local store keeps telling me to go into business with my jerky but I already have my own business and don't have time for another. :)

I've been wanting to make jerky at home too. Jess, your spice mix sounds super tasty! I should pick up some smoked salt. I don't have a dehydrator but I've seen a few oven recipes that say to put the oven on the lowest setting and/or to prop it open so the jerky dries rather than bakes. That makes me a little nervous...any different methods for jerky in the oven?

Alicia, why does that make you nervous? Note that I'm 80% sure that that directive is for electric ovens, whereas with gas ovens you don't have to turn it on...the pilot will be enough.

I have electric, and have made jerky like that a number of times. I use eye round roast, sliced thinly by my butcher. Marinate appropriately, lay out on trays, then try not to eat it all in one sitting:

Biggest key to successful jerky? No added fat: trim your meat, don't marinate in any oils.

Good luck!

Ooh, good to hear about gas ovens--that's what I have. I usually putter around the house and work on other things while I have something in the oven, so I guess in that context the idea of leaving the oven open and ignited worries me. I could plant myself next to it for awhile if the result would be some good jerky!

Renee, how long do you leave the jerky in the oven for? Do you dehydrate/cook it right on a baking sheet, or on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a dehydrator (you can pick one up for 50.00 or so)..it is worth it because grass fed packaged jerky is expensive. I just buy thinly sliced bottom round (ask the butcher to slice thin for jerky) and marinade it overnight in coconut aminos, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Then lay it out on the dehydrator for 5 hours or so (keep checking).

I made some yesterday! And it was yummy! I have never even tasted beef jerky :D

I froze a piece of sirloin till it was hard but not rock solid. Then sliced super thin, diagonally across the grain. Into a ziploc with a slug of coconut aminos for at least 2 hours. Then on to a rack over a foil lined baking tray. Cooked at less than gas mark 1 (200f) for 2 hours, turning once.

Alas my 2d batch got burnt to a crisp & it looks like the temp control on my cooker is banjaxed :(

• 1 month later...

I made some yesterday! And it was yummy! I have never even tasted beef jerky :D

I froze a piece of sirloin till it was hard but not rock solid. Then sliced super thin, diagonally across the grain. Into a ziploc with a slug of coconut aminos for at least 2 hours. Then on to a rack over a foil lined baking tray. Cooked at less than gas mark 1 (200f) for 2 hours, turning once.

Alas my 2d batch got burnt to a crisp & it looks like the temp control on my cooker is banjaxed :(

Can you use just the aminos for marinade, and not add any salt? I just got a dehydrator, and it said to use a cure with salt, sodium nitrite "to prevent bacterial growth during the initial stages of drying." Is that a preservative I'd rather avoid?

• 2 months later...
I have electric, and have made jerky like that a number of times. I use eye round roast, sliced thinly by my butcher. Marinate appropriately, lay out on trays, then try not to eat it all in one sitting:

Biggest key to successful jerky? No added fat: trim your meat, don't marinate in any oils.

I have electric. Before I got a dehydrator, SUPER easy-peasy. I have seen it recommended to use a rack, but I don't have one, so I just use a baking sheet (cookie tray) and keep turning the slices every now and again-- couple hours, usually, between turnings. Lowest setting (200*F on mine) for most of the day. Or night.

I also use eye of round-- whatever's got the least fat, cause fat is rather gross jerkified, I think. I marinate mine in just straight apple cider vinegar, or ACV and white combined. I love the tangy taste. I could just suck the vinegar out after it's jerky :P

It doesn't need any oils. IMO it doesn't dry properly if it's lubricated.

Renee, how long do you leave the jerky in the oven for? Do you dehydrate/cook it right on a baking sheet, or on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet?

See above ;)

Now there is a word I have never seen before. Banjaxed. I think I need to add that one to my vocabulary immediately! :)

I am SO stealing that. Is it pronounced just like it's spelled? Equal emphasis on both syllables? Or more emphasis on one or the other?

• 6 months later...

There's also a method if you have a convection oven. Hang the meat like stalactites and let it go for about 3-4 hrs. Here's what I read, just use another recipe for the marinade: http://www.eatingrules.com/2012/10/how-to-make-beef-jerky/

If anyone has done it this way, let me know. I'm curious if the aroma of meat lingers for awhile, like when you make curry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There's also a method if you have a convection oven. Hang the meat like stalactites and let it go for about 3-4 hrs. Here's what I read, just use another recipe for the marinade: http://www.eatingrules.com/2012/10/how-to-make-beef-jerky/

If anyone has done it this way, let me know. I'm curious if the aroma of meat lingers for awhile, like when you make curry.

---------------------------------------------------------

Ouch this recipe has : Worcestershire sauce , soy sauce and maple syrup  not a whole 30  marinade at all....

Night_Bear, before I got my dehydrator, I used this method or layed the meat flat on a mesh cooling rack. I really dislike lingering food smells (both of my slow cookers do their work out on my deck) and I dont remember this being an issue because the oven is so low.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a dehydrator and make my own venison jerky. I always used a pre-packaged cure and spice mix before...so now, do I just use the spices? No cure at all? The venison I have is far, far less likely than beef to cause any food poisoning because I harvested, butchered, packaged, and stored it all myself. (Well, my brother helps, too. Haha.) So I'm guessing I really don't have to worry about cure...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, EmilyAnne said:

I have a dehydrator and make my own venison jerky. I always used a pre-packaged cure and spice mix before...so now, do I just use the spices? No cure at all? The venison I have is far, far less likely than beef to cause any food poisoning because I harvested, butchered, packaged, and stored it all myself. (Well, my brother helps, too. Haha.) So I'm guessing I really don't have to worry about cure...

Someone here may have an answer for this, but you might be better off finding a website that is more focused on curing meat or making jerky. 

Archived