Mussels?

lizbeth80

I'll be dining out soon with friends at a restaurant with a menu of mussels in various sauces and marinades.  Many of the options are obviously not compliant, but I noticed one on the menu that I'm thinking I might be able to order.  The marinade is simply tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and fresh basil.  These ingredients all check out, and this is an independent restaurant that uses seasonal ingredients and changes its menu up regularly. 

But could I be missing anything here?  I've never prepared mussels myself, and have previously only had them in wine sauces, so I'd like to hear from anyone who is more familiar with preparing mussels so I know if this dish is really as simple as it sounds, or if there's anything specific I should ask the chef.  Thanks so much! 

Always ask. They might use non compliant chicken broth or white wine.You should also ask if they use butter or thicken it with flour. Sometimes people don't understand gluten so you have to mention all the things that contain gluten or dairy. I know in New England we used to cover our live clams with a little corn meal so they would eat it and expel the sand in their bellies. I don't think they do this with mussels. Not sure if that would be considered not compliant for your whole30. 

• 2 years later...

I know this is a post from a few years ago, but I'm actually considering going to what sounds like the same restaurant as you @lizbeth80 and was wondering if you ended up going and asking if the option you mentioned with the tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and garlic was compliant? If you could let me know that would be awesome!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Cmduffett said:

I know this is a post from a few years ago, but I'm actually considering going to what sounds like the same restaurant as you @lizbeth80 and was wondering if you ended up going and asking if the option you mentioned with the tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and garlic was compliant? If you could let me know that would be awesome!

She's never logged back on after this post, however it wouldn't matter anyway because you need to ask at the restaurant what you're actually eating... it could have been compliant then but isn't now...

Archived