Prenatal Vitamins & Pregnancy Weight Gain

I just had a positive pregnancy test this morning.  I know I need to get some prenatal vitmains, but I'm not sure which ones to get.  I know I have the MTHFR gene mutation and as as result I cannot absorb synthetic folic acid.  So, I'm looking for a prenatal with l-methylfolate.  

I've found several, but none of them really seem ideal.  I was going to buy this one, but I know it has soy in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Prenatal-Capsules/dp/B005JAT3TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422219181&sr=8-1&keywords=vitamin+code+raw+prenatal#Ask

I'm also considering this one, but there are very few reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Labs-Vit---Min-Whole-Food/dp/B005LQCV14/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422218948&sr=8-3&keywords=emerald+laboratories+prenatal

Any thoughts?  I'm on day 20 of my Whole 30.  I definitely am looking forward to some non-Whole30 foods, but I want to stay as close to Whole 30 as I can during pregnancy.  

I am really afraid of gaining weight during pregnancy.  I weighed myself today just so I would know where I'm at.  I'm at 190.4, which is obviously less than ideal for someone who is 5'6".  Is it possible to lose weight during pregnancy?  Is that completely unhealthy?  I don't think I can handle it psychologically if I'm over 200 again.  I know weight gain doesn't really happen until the second trimester.  Hopefully I can lose 5 pounds in the first trimester or something.  I don't know, but I am freaking out about what's about to happen to my body.  

Thanks in advance!

Folic Acid is actually not what you want anyway. Folate is better. These are the prenatal vitamins recommended by the Hartwigs: 

Melissa Hartwig(IP: Private )

Whole9 Head Diesel

• LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

This is the one that we (and Chris Kresser) recommend: http://www.pureencap...00.asp?t1=mvck1

It's not technically Whole30 compliant, as it contains milk and soy in the packaging of the vitamins (the capsule themselves). However, I will say that these ingredients will not have any effect on your Whole30, as they do not contain any of the potentially problematic proteins, and the needs of your baby > following Whole30 rules. I would encourage you to find these somewhere on line, as they contain the right micronutrients in the right amounts, without some of the additional stuff that you don't actually want in a multi-vitamin.

Best,
Melissa

It is possible to lose weight in a healthy way during pregnancy, but to try too hard to lose can be vary damaging for the baby and your body. Better to try to eat as healthfully as possible and to put the scale aside. Going over 200lbs is not a meaningful marker, it's just a number less than 10lbs more than what you weigh now. 10 lbs is not an unreasonable amount to gain in pregnancy at all, so try to let that go, at least for now. 

Here is some info on folate vs. folic acid: http://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid

I really like the Rainbow Light vitamins.  Just google Rainbow Light Prenatal Vitamins.  "Prenatal One contains no gluten, soy, yeast, milk, eggs, nuts, fish or shellfish. It is also lactose-free and contains no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives or additives."  

You will need to talk to your doctor, but I would imagine the recommendation is that you immediately start taking some additional folate.  I took it for months before conceiving just because it reduces the chances of certain conditions. 

Most importantly, CONGRATULATIONS!  I can only speak from my own experiences, but I know that I have gained 40-50 pounds with both my past pregnancies and am on my way to gaining that this time around (I'm almost 34 weeks with #3).  I eat much healthier this time.  I always lose the weight.  If this is your first pregnancy, put aside your wishes about numbers on the scale.  You can't predict what your body will do.  Just eat sensibly and make indulgences really worth it.  Do not try to lose weight. 

Again, congratulations!

put the scale aside.

Just had to highlight this all by itself.

There are so many things to do and worry about during a pregnancy...  A number on a scale is not one of them.  

I am not joking when I say throw it out.  I recommend this for everyone.

When they weigh you at the doctor's office, don't look.  It is that simple.

Eat Whole 30-style, make sure your treats are occasional, and you've got nothing to worry about.   :)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I'll try to avoid the scale, but that will be very hard for me.  I've been overweight my entire life and never felt remotely in control of my body.  I feel like pregnancy is the ultimate loss of control in some ways.  We planned this, of course, and so I knew it would happen eventually.  Now that it actually has happened, I just feel so weird. Physically I don't feel anything yet.  My breasts are tender, but they get that way every month anyway.  I do have a breast lump I have to get an ultrasound of tomorrow though, which stinks.  So, that also has me a little freaked out.  I thought it might shrink or something, but it seems unchanged from when I discovered it last week.

Anyway, I guess I'll just keep with Whole30 as much as I can and see what happens.  Today is day 22 for me so I'm definitely going to finish the 30 days before I do anything off-plan.  I guess I'm putting extra pressure on myself because my sister and cousin both hardly gained any weight during pregnancy.  My cousin in particular barely gained 10 pounds and she was probably underweight to start.  My sister gained probably 15 but of course lost the weight immediately.  I've never had weight loss come easily, no matter how restrictive I have been with my diet.  My fear is that I'll put on 50 pounds and it will never come off.  I can't live with that. 

As for vitamins, I ended up ordering the ones Melissa and Chris recommended.  I've been taking folate anyway, so I'm covered there (I'll stop the folate once I get the multi-vitamins though; I don't want to have too much).  

• Administrators

no matter how restrictive I have been with my diet.  

This super common statement is a huge problem for weight loss.  From a primal perspective, why would your body EVER let go of weight when it routinely has its nutrition restricted?  The scary part is eating to nourish yourself without fear of weight gain...because more than likely you will gain some weight if you come from a place of chronic or repeated restriction.  It takes time and trust to keep eating, keep nourishing yourself and slowly letting your body trust that food is not scarce and that someone is listening to it.  Only then does the weight loss come.  It's about so much more than calories in vs calories out.

From a pregnancy perspective (and grain of salt this one because I've never been pregnant), you eat to sustain both of you. As cleanly as you can to support development of your baby.  Doritos and their ilk are nothing that the baby can use so try to steer well away from frankenfoods.  Post birth if you're nursing, you are eating to sustain yourself and healthy and rich milk production.  To me it seems like a whole bunch of perfect time to learn the new habit of eating for nutrition and health.  THEN, when you're not nursing anymore (or not at all, whatever you choose), your body will start to let go of excess weight.  But in the company of nutrition and absence of restriction.

Keep eating Whole30 style (or as close as you can) for yourself and your baby.  And check this article for some pregnancy/Whole30 help: http://whole9life.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

CONGRATS, btw!  :)

This super common statement is a huge problem for weight loss.  From a primal perspective, why would your body EVER let go of weight when it routinely has its nutrition restricted?  The scary part is eating to nourish yourself without fear of weight gain...because more than likely you will gain some weight if you come from a place of chronic or repeated restriction.  It takes time and trust to keep eating, keep nourishing yourself and slowly letting your body trust that food is not scarce and that someone is listening to it.  Only then does the weight loss come.  It's about so much more than calories in vs calories out.

From a pregnancy perspective (and grain of salt this one because I've never been pregnant), you eat to sustain both of you. As cleanly as you can to support development of your baby.  Doritos and their ilk are nothing that the baby can use so try to steer well away from frankenfoods.  Post birth if you're nursing, you are eating to sustain yourself and healthy and rich milk production.  To me it seems like a whole bunch of perfect time to learn the new habit of eating for nutrition and health.  THEN, when you're not nursing anymore (or not at all, whatever you choose), your body will start to let go of excess weight.  But in the company of nutrition and absence of restriction.

Keep eating Whole30 style (or as close as you can) for yourself and your baby.  And check this article for some pregnancy/Whole30 help: http://whole9life.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

CONGRATS, btw!   :)

Just to clarify, when I say "restrictive" I meant in terms of what I eat, not really how much.  I started by eliminating wheat.  Then I cut out all grains.  Then legumes.  Then dairy.  Now added sugars and artificial sweeteners.  I read success stories on Mark's Daily Apple, here at Whole30, on Wheat Belly, etc. about how people eliminate just a couple of those foods and "the weight just melts off."  That has NEVER happened for me.  Never in my life has weight melted off.  Really, the only time I've successfully lost weight the extremes I went to were very unhealthy.  I was exercising for hours each day. I was taking phentermine, sometimes twice the top recommended dose.  It wasn't pretty.  

I haven't restricted calories in a few years now because it took such extreme restriction to lose weight that I realized I could never live that way long term.  I was miserable back then.  Unfortunately, I looked a lot better.  I cannot even look at pictures of myself from the last 3 years.  :(  In any event, I know what I should do, I guess.  I'm not going to like gaining weight at all, especially since I have such a solid history of gaining weight and no real history of ever losing it.  It is very scary.  I don't know how overweight women handle this unless they are in some sort of denial.  

I do have another question though.  Regarding the recommend vitamins, the Pure Encapsulations, do people actually take 6 of those a day?  That seems like a ton to me.  I'm not sure if I'll even be able to remember to do it, to be honest.  

• Administrators

Just to clarify, when I say "restrictive" I meant in terms of what I eat, not really how much.  I started by eliminating wheat.  Then I cut out all grains.  Then legumes.  Then dairy.  Now added sugars and artificial sweeteners.  I read success stories on Mark's Daily Apple, here at Whole30, on Wheat Belly, etc. about how people eliminate just a couple of those foods and "the weight just melts off."  That has NEVER happened for me.  Never in my life has weight melted off.  Really, the only time I've successfully lost weight the extremes I went to were very unhealthy.  I was exercising for hours each day. I was taking phentermine, sometimes twice the top recommended dose.  It wasn't pretty.  

I haven't restricted calories in a few years now because it took such extreme restriction to lose weight that I realized I could never live that way long term.  I was miserable back then.  Unfortunately, I looked a lot better.  I cannot even look at pictures of myself from the last 3 years.   :(  In any event, I know what I should do, I guess.  I'm not going to like gaining weight at all, especially since I have such a solid history of gaining weight and no real history of ever losing it.  It is very scary.  I don't know how overweight women handle this unless they are in some sort of denial.  

I do have another question though.  Regarding the recommend vitamins, the Pure Encapsulations, do people actually take 6 of those a day?  That seems like a ton to me.  I'm not sure if I'll even be able to remember to do it, to be honest.  

Well phew!  I'm really glad to read this, I was thinking about you last night! 

I have no clue on the vitamins, sorry!

Well phew!  I'm really glad to read this, I was thinking about you last night! 

I have no clue on the vitamins, sorry!

Yeah, I'm doing fine.  I mean, I am happy to be pregnant, just very worried about gaining weight.  I'm not so concerned about it that I'll do anything stupid, just really not looking forward to it.  

I guess I'll try the 6 pills once I get them; 2 per meal.  Luckily I ordered 2 bottles so I can just put one on my desk at work.  That should help me remember.  If the end up making me sick I'll probably take only 1 per meal.  I mean, I am following Whole30, there's a pretty good amount of nutrition in the food I'm eating, right?  

Exactly! My husband and I are getting ready to start trying to conceive and I actually made a spreadsheet of folate sources. Most days I eat at least 50% of the daily recommendation of folate (approximately). If you're eating a variety of veggies every day you're probably getting that much too, easily. 1 cup of asparagus has 268.2 micrograms, which is almost 1/3 of the recommended amount for pregnant women. The same amount of spinach has 262.8 mcg, so those combined are well over half your daily recommended dose of folate while pregnant. Broccoli, turnip greens, beets, romaine lettuce, avocado...all good sources of folate. Any of those sound familiar? They aren't quite as good as a couple of types of beans, but it's pretty easy to eat enough in your diet if you eat a variety of veggies.

I'm MTHFR too. Don't forget to get regular blood tests so you can keep an eye on your general levels. Your doctor may even want injections rather than supplements during pregnancy.

Make sure you're also taking the right kind of supplement for your MTHFR variation (we're all a bit different).

http://mthfr.net/l-methylfolate-methylfolate-5-mthf/2012/04/05/

Note: Eating folate is not enough for folks with MTHFR, it's the methylation cycle which does not work, so ingested nutrition cannot be processed normally by the body (there's a good picture here: http://mthfr.net/methylation-inhibited-by-candidas-toxin/2012/09/08/).

If you haven't been tested for MTHFR, it's a simple blood test.

I have another question about these Pure Encapsulations vitamins. I got them today and it says that the dose of 6 capsules has 1333% of the daily RDA for vitamin E. I have been warned not to exceed the daily RDA of vitamin E as it can be harmful to a developing baby.

Does anyone know if the type of vitamin E matters and if these are safe?

I agree with bellewannabe17! I took Rainbow Light Prenatal vitamins before during and after my pregnancy. I swear by them! Rainbow Light makes a few different prenatals and I've had them all. Basically all the same but the daily dose is different. You can get them at a health food store or suprisingly, they sell their Prenatal One at CVS

creativenikki- First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy and congratulations on doing a whole30! 
I just wanted to comment that I also wasn't at my "ideal" weight when I got pregnant, I ate paleo for a lot of my pregnancy and ended up gaining 40 pounds. Don't compare yourself to other people, everyone is so different!  I breastfed, took my time, ate paleo, was gentle and easy on myself and lost all my pregnancy weight about 6 months post-partum. Less than a year later I discovered whole30 and did 2 nearly back to back while nursing and got into some of the best shape of my life! I just want to tell you not to focus on the scale because anything you gain will come off, I'm sure of it! I can totally relate because I'm now 6 months pregnant with my second baby and it's been hard not to eye up the scale every week... I ate really terribly during my first trimester (living without a kitchen while ours was under construction! :( ) and am just now starting my first pregnant whole30. I've gained a lot more than I wanted to so far, and even though this whole30 will no doubt have very different results than the ones I did when I wasn't pregnant, it will give me such peace of mind to know I've been feeding my growing babe and myself the best foods that I can. Plus I could use the extra energy whole30 helped me gain now that I'm chasing a toddler around! 

The first trimester can be a really hard time to eat well, Melissa has even written about that, so try not to put a lot of pressure on yourself right off the bat. I felt much more like myself (and able to stomach whole30 foods) at about 14 weeks. 

Hope your pregnancy goes well and you are able to enjoy being pregnant, it's a total loss of control, yes, but it's also amazing! 
The beginning really is hard, you don't "feel" pregnant except for some nagging symptoms but eventually you will be feeling your baby kicking and moving and you will be so grateful to your body and amazed at the job it can do. 

I used Hypnobabies (basically just deeply relaxing through labor) to deliver my baby and one of the best parts of the program was listening to affirmations every day that helped remove my anxieties and highlight the really beautiful things about being pregnant. 

Sorry for so much unsolicited advice and input, my heart went out to you because I know where you're at.

creativenikki- First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy and congratulations on doing a whole30! 
I just wanted to comment that I also wasn't at my "ideal" weight when I got pregnant, I ate paleo for a lot of my pregnancy and ended up gaining 40 pounds. Don't compare yourself to other people, everyone is so different!  I breastfed, took my time, ate paleo, was gentle and easy on myself and lost all my pregnancy weight about 6 months post-partum. Less than a year later I discovered whole30 and did 2 nearly back to back while nursing and got into some of the best shape of my life! I just want to tell you not to focus on the scale because anything you gain will come off, I'm sure of it! I can totally relate because I'm now 6 months pregnant with my second baby and it's been hard not to eye up the scale every week... I ate really terribly during my first trimester (living without a kitchen while ours was under construction!  :( ) and am just now starting my first pregnant whole30. I've gained a lot more than I wanted to so far, and even though this whole30 will no doubt have very different results than the ones I did when I wasn't pregnant, it will give me such peace of mind to know I've been feeding my growing babe and myself the best foods that I can. Plus I could use the extra energy whole30 helped me gain now that I'm chasing a toddler around! 

The first trimester can be a really hard time to eat well, Melissa has even written about that, so try not to put a lot of pressure on yourself right off the bat. I felt much more like myself (and able to stomach whole30 foods) at about 14 weeks. 

Hope your pregnancy goes well and you are able to enjoy being pregnant, it's a total loss of control, yes, but it's also amazing! 
The beginning really is hard, you don't "feel" pregnant except for some nagging symptoms but eventually you will be feeling your baby kicking and moving and you will be so grateful to your body and amazed at the job it can do. 

I used Hypnobabies (basically just deeply relaxing through labor) to deliver my baby and one of the best parts of the program was listening to affirmations every day that helped remove my anxieties and highlight the really beautiful things about being pregnant. 

Sorry for so much unsolicited advice and input, my heart went out to you because I know where you're at.

Thanks!  I'll take all the advice I can get, honestly.  It is really tough right now because it is too early to tell anyone and I don't look pregnant or anything so I think it's hard for my husband to really appreciate how I'm feeling.  Which, by the way, is kind of awful!  :(  I don't know what is up with my appetite.  One minute I'm ravenous, the next the idea of eating anything makes me want to throw up.  I didn't even think morning sickness started until the 6th or 8th week, either (i'm 5.5 weeks now)!

We had a party last night and I ended up staying up too late trying to get people the heck out of my house.  I was so tired,  But, for some reason if I stay up too late then I cannot sleep.  I feel hung over today after some of the food re-introductions I did yesterday combined with the pregnancy and staying up to late.  I honestly have no idea what feelings to attribute to food, what is the lack of sleep and what's caused by pregnancy.  Nothing Whole30 compliant seems good right now at all.  In fact, the only thing I've eaten today is rice chex cereal.  Not good.  

Luckily, I have my first appointment tomorrow to confirm the pregnancy and run the initial blood tests, I guess.  I don't know if I should try and eat dinner tonight or not.  We were supposed to make crab cakes, which I used to love, but the idea of them now makes me sick.  Actually, we were supposed to make them on Friday, but I felt too sick for them then, too.  I want to exercise, but I have no motivation.  Argh, I cannot wait for these first 12 weeks to end.  

I start getting morning sickness right around when I find out I'm pregnant so it seems to me like you're right on schedule! Mine usually begins as a general picky-ness towards food before turning into full blown nausea. Hang in there! I think if rice chex taste good to you, eat rice chex. This part doesn't last forever and in my experience, it's the hardest stage of pregnancy. My sister gave me the best advice, and I think it really applies when you're pregnant and sick - "Only do what's necessary or nurturing".... and it sounds like having people come over and stay too late isn't either one! Try to take gentle care of yourself and help your husband understand how you're feeling. I love the Dr. Sears Pregnancy book, it's really the only one I used (the nutrition advice is not my style but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pregnancy book that encourages a whole30!). But it talks a bit about how you may be feeling emotionally, physically and so on at each stage, and how to help your partner understand.

You may also be super tired in the beginning, so not wanting to exercise totally makes sense to me. There is this unexplainable fatigue that would hit me and make me incapable of doing much of anything. But it's totally gone now and I think my whole bout of morning sickness/fatigue lasted just 4 weeks. Hope it's even less for you!

I start getting morning sickness right around when I find out I'm pregnant so it seems to me like you're right on schedule! Mine usually begins as a general picky-ness towards food before turning into full blown nausea. Hang in there! I think if rice chex taste good to you, eat rice chex. This part doesn't last forever and in my experience, it's the hardest stage of pregnancy. My sister gave me the best advice, and I think it really applies when you're pregnant and sick - "Only do what's necessary or nurturing".... and it sounds like having people come over and stay too late isn't either one! Try to take gentle care of yourself and help your husband understand how you're feeling. I love the Dr. Sears Pregnancy book, it's really the only one I used (the nutrition advice is not my style but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pregnancy book that encourages a whole30!). But it talks a bit about how you may be feeling emotionally, physically and so on at each stage, and how to help your partner understand.

You may also be super tired in the beginning, so not wanting to exercise totally makes sense to me. There is this unexplainable fatigue that would hit me and make me incapable of doing much of anything. But it's totally gone now and I think my whole bout of morning sickness/fatigue lasted just 4 weeks. Hope it's even less for you!

It is good to know that this is the worst part, because I truly feel awful right now.  I'm miserable.  I got a migraine headache yesterday and another one overnight.  So, I have this splitting headache behind my right eye and I'm super nauseous right now.  I feel bad enough that I called in sick to work.  Am I going to feel like this for another 6.5 weeks?!  I don't think I can take that.  I seriously don't know how women go to work feeling this way.  I cannot think about anything except for not throwing up right now.  And eating?  Forget it!  

I have been fatigued, too.  I forced myself to exercise already today; I did 3 miles on the elliptical at a slow pace (it seriously took me 42:00).  I had read that it helped some women with nausea.  It hasn't helped me though.  I wish I could curl up and sleep for the next 3 months and just not wake up until I'll feel okay again.  I feel like the misery has been slowly building for a few weeks now.  

Are your doctor about Vitamin B6 for your nausea!  A much better alternative to the rx stuff they might try to give you. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I definitely will.  I'm desperate for this to stop right now.  I haven't been able to eat anything today and I barely ate yesterday.  

I've also heard ginger tea can help so I'm planning on buying some if I can motivate myself to get dressed.  

I'm also planning on checking out the book by Dr. Sears.  I requested it from the library. 

If anyone else has tips I am all ears.  I have no idea what I am doing!   

Congratulations! It's never too early for morning sickness, both times I was pregnant mine started before I was even late. It's how I knew I was pregnant the second time around. Please don't beat yourself up about gaining weight while pregnant, I gained 20kg both times. It took a while to lose it again but I did. This part of your pregnancy can make you more tired than you have ever felt before and totally out of sorts. Your body is going through massive changes to prepare to grow the baby inside of you so take it easy; sleep instead of exercising if you have to, adjust your eating to what ever you can get down you for energy. If you get too sick then see your Dr about medication for it, there are safe meds to take. I wish you all the best.

Thanks!  I'll take all the advice I can get, honestly.  It is really tough right now because it is too early to tell anyone and I don't look pregnant or anything so I think it's hard for my husband to really appreciate how I'm feeling.  Which, by the way, is kind of awful!   :(  I don't know what is up with my appetite.  One minute I'm ravenous, the next the idea of eating anything makes me want to throw up.  I didn't even think morning sickness started until the 6th or 8th week, either (i'm 5.5 weeks now)!

We had a party last night and I ended up staying up too late trying to get people the heck out of my house.  I was so tired,  But, for some reason if I stay up too late then I cannot sleep.  I feel hung over today after some of the food re-introductions I did yesterday combined with the pregnancy and staying up to late.  I honestly have no idea what feelings to attribute to food, what is the lack of sleep and what's caused by pregnancy.  Nothing Whole30 compliant seems good right now at all.  In fact, the only thing I've eaten today is rice chex cereal.  Not good.  

Luckily, I have my first appointment tomorrow to confirm the pregnancy and run the initial blood tests, I guess.  I don't know if I should try and eat dinner tonight or not.  We were supposed to make crab cakes, which I used to love, but the idea of them now makes me sick.  Actually, we were supposed to make them on Friday, but I felt too sick for them then, too.  I want to exercise, but I have no motivation.  Argh, I cannot wait for these first 12 weeks to end.  

Are you actually throwing up or just nauseous? I had horrible morning sickness with my first then hyperemesis gravidarum with my second, if you are bad then get the meds from your Dr; all the ginger tea and b6 in the world is sometimes not enough. Try them first though to see if they do work for you.

Advice for dealing with MS is eat before you get up in the morning, get your husband to bring you breakfast in bed or have a snack by your bed to eat if that is not practical. Do not let yourself get hungry, you may have to go off plan and introduce snacks (sorry mods for this bit of advice). Make sure you stay hydrated, this is even more important than eating. The only thing that kept me off a drip was being able to sip an isotonic sports drink regularly. Water is hard on your stomach so try tea, broth and other warm drinks. Sleep as much as you can and most of all don't worry, my Dr told me the baby will get all the nutrients it needs from me and even though I barely kept anything down for four months and lost a ton of weight (to begin with) my baby was born healthy and big. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I definitely will.  I'm desperate for this to stop right now.  I haven't been able to eat anything today and I barely ate yesterday.  

I've also heard ginger tea can help so I'm planning on buying some if I can motivate myself to get dressed.  

I'm also planning on checking out the book by Dr. Sears.  I requested it from the library. 

If anyone else has tips I am all ears.  I have no idea what I am doing!   

Are you actually throwing up or just nauseous? I had horrible morning sickness with my first then hyperemesis gravidarum with my second, if you are bad then get the meds from your Dr; all the ginger tea and b6 in the world is sometimes not enough. Try them first though to see if they do work for you.

Advice for dealing with MS is eat before you get up in the morning, get your husband to bring you breakfast in bed or have a snack by your bed to eat if that is not practical. Do not let yourself get hungry, you may have to go off plan and introduce snacks (sorry mods for this bit of advice). Make sure you stay hydrated, this is even more important than eating. The only thing that kept me off a drip was being able to sip an isotonic sports drink regularly. Water is hard on your stomach so try tea, broth and other warm drinks. Sleep as much as you can and most of all don't worry, my Dr told me the baby will get all the nutrients it needs from me and even though I barely kept anything down for four months and lost a ton of weight (to begin with) my baby was born healthy and big. 

Thanks!  I haven't thrown up yet, but I definitely could.  I was so nauseated when I first work up but I really didn't want to throw up then since I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday afternoon.  I'll see what my doctor says tonight.  I don't feel as bad now as I did earlier, I even managed to get dressed...

I've been drinking tea and water so far today and I finally managed to eat some eggs.  So, that's something.  What really stinks is that my migraines also cause nausea, so I feel like I've been hit with a double whammy. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should prioritize eating when I can eat?  Should I focus on vegetables?  Protein?  I don't feel like I could handle both right now.  

On the plus side, I definitely don't have to worry about my baby being under nourished.  I have plenty of body fat to last me through two pregnancies, even after finishing the Whole30.  I'd have to lose 50 pounds before that would become an issue, so I'm not worried on that front.  I'm honestly more worried about getting to work because I cannot imagine trying to work when I feel this bad.  

Seriously with morning sickness & especially with the HG I just had to eat whatever I could get into me at that moment in time. I didn't care if it was healthy or not so if you are sticking to the plan eat whatever you feel like eating whether it be protein or veggies. I'm just a newbie to the whole30 so my advice is not coming from that point of view so is not really compliant but I am not trying to speak out of turn here, I just know how awful MS & migraines makes you feel.

my advice is not coming from that point of view so is not really compliant but I am not trying to speak out of turn here, I just know how awful MS & migraines makes you feel.

No worries Loulabelle. When it comes to pregnancy eating, several of the whole30 guidelines go out the window.

1. eat as much and whenever you feel you can eat, even if it means lots of little meals.
  2. proportions of fat/carb/protein are a little tweaked. Our recommendation is to eat the lower end of the template on protein and keep starchy carbs and fat up to compensate. Usually food aversions take care of this, but super-high protein isn't recommended during pregnancy.

Archived