calcium chloride, citric acid and guar gum

CaseyD

I tried scanning my Success Guide for this, but I'm not finding it. It is impossible for me to locally buy a can of diced tomato that doesn't contain calcium chloride (and usually citric acid, what is that?). Is this something that is not allowed on a Whole30?

Also, the same question applies to guar gum in coconut milk. I have been able to find coconut milk without it, but I have a stock of some that does have it - should I avoid this on the Whole30?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I accidentally bought some coconut milk with guar gum. I ordered it from Amazon.com before I knew that my local asian market had Aroy-D for 1.49 a can. I had had the exact same brand (Thai Kitchen organic) from my grocery store (ridic expensive) and it had no guar gum! Grr.

Anyway, I will go ahead and use it because y'all have said guar gum is OK, but WHY is guar gum OK, when other similar thickeners (carrageenan) are off limits? Guar gum is made from guar beans, which are a legume. Carrageenan is made from red seaweeds. Xanthan gum is produced by xanthomonas bacteria fermenting sugars. They're all medium chain polysaccharides. Is it because carrageenan is sulfated?

I like that you're asking the hard questions, befabdaily. Do it some more! I want to know, too! And I want your snippets of info like below, too!

Anyway, I will go ahead and use it because y'all have said guar gum is OK, but WHY is guar gum OK, when other similar thickeners (carrageenan) are off limits? Guar gum is made from guar beans, which are a legume. Carrageenan is made from red seaweeds. Xanthan gum is produced by xanthomonas bacteria fermenting sugars. They're all medium chain polysaccharides. Is it because carrageenan is sulfated?

• 1 month later...

I have the same question regarding carrageenan. From what I've read it is extracted from seaweed and is a substitute for gelatin. Just wondering why that is off limits but guar gum, while not encouraged, is considered ok.

We talk about why we exclude carrageenan specifically in It Starts With Food. What carrageenan does in the gut (or can, according to research) can promote intestinal permeability, which is the exact thing we're trying to avoid with the Whole30. Those other vegetable gums (guar gum, xanthan gum, etc) do not.

While it's always better to buy healthy foods with NO additives, two considerations for the Whole30 are (a) will this affect your digestive tract? and (B) will this affect your immune system, either directly or indirectly. Carrageenan has the serious potential to fail on both counts, while other additives like citric acid, ferrous gluconate, etc. do not. So there IS a method behind the madness, we assure you!

Hope that helps,

Melissa

So bottled water like "Smart Water" and "Function Water" are ok? I'm asking because there is magnesium chloride hexahydrate, potassium bicarbonate, calcium chloride in it...this is day one for me and I didn't even think about it until after I was drinking it...I need to know if I should start over tomorrow because of the water???

We talk about why we exclude carrageenan specifically in It Starts With Food. What carrageenan does in the gut (or can, according to research) can promote intestinal permeability, which is the exact thing we're trying to avoid with the Whole30. Those other vegetable gums (guar gum, xanthan gum, etc) do not.

While it's always better to buy healthy foods with NO additives, two considerations for the Whole30 are (a) will this affect your digestive tract? and ( B) will this affect your immune system, either directly or indirectly. Carrageenan has the serious potential to fail on both counts, while other additives like citric acid, ferrous gluconate, etc. do not. So there IS a method behind the madness, we assure you!

Hope that helps,

Melissa

Melissa,

Can you please clarify on citric acid specifically? It sounds like above you are stating it is ok. I have Version 5.0 of the Whole 30 success guide and on page 17 (when discussing olives) and page 57 (when discussing crushed tomatoes) it states that citric acid is NOT allowed on the Whole 30. I want to make sure I stay compliant.

Thanks!

Version 5.0 is the latest version of the Success Guide, but since that was released M&D have done a lot more exploring and come to the conclusion that the above additives are unlikely to cause gut-disruptive reactions in most people.

Hope that clarifies!

PS: If ever there are program changes or conflicting information you're concerned about, there's a good chance that the program details on the site have been updated and will answer your question. We can't always update the Success Guide for a small detail, but we'll always announce the changes on the blog.

• 6 months later...

Archived