Chocolate Chili: Compliant Beef Broth and Tomato Paste?

Charlsye

So, I'd love to make ClothesMakeTheGirl's Chocolate Chili and it seems to be a Whole30 favorite.  However, I've tried to find compliant beef broth and tomato paste and haven't had much luck.  Does anyone know of any compliant brands that would be good for this?

Thanks for your help!

Compliant tomato paste should not be too difficult to find.  I have found Whole Foods 365 brand, Muir Glenn and Trader Joe's brands are all compliant.  Just be sure to double check those labels as ingredients can change by region, apparently.  Compliant beef broth is admittedly harder to find.  It usually contains some form of sugar or caramel coloring. I just make a huge batch of my own and freeze .  Homemade is soo much better, anyway.  In a pinch, though, I will use store bought chicken broth(easier to find a compliant one) in place of beef broth if I do not have any made.

• Moderators

You can substitute water for beef broth when making chili. Personally, I don't add water or broth, but use a large can of diced tomatoes to provide liquid and I cook in a pressure cooker, which requires less liquid. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been pondering this, especially since discovering that the beef broth I got on my excursion to a Whole Foods two hours away is not actually compliant (could caramel coloring please be added to the list of sneaky sugars? It didn't occur to me organic coloring could be sugar.)  The only stock I have is from the turkey I made after Christmas, which was not compliant.  (Who adds sugar to a frozen turkey?!  Ugh.  But I used flour on the inside of the oven bag when I was making the turkey anyway, so that would have been out even if the turkey had originally been compliant.)

Has anybody tried adding unflavored gelatin to the chili?  It wouldn't do much for flavor, but it might replicate some of the broth mouthfeel.  

• 4 months later...

I couldn't find compliant beef or chicken broth but I was able to find compliant vegetable broth (make sure you double check though!).  It works just fine and it will take on the flavors of any meat you use anyway.

I usually have my own chicken or duck broth on hand but pacific organic makes a mushroom broth that is compliant - at least the stuff I bought was - and is great if the recipe calls for beef broth, has that rich umami flavor. I like to drink my bone broth so sometimes I need the carton for cooking.

• Moderators

Does anybody have any brand names they can recommend? I thought my broth was compliant. And I found store brand diced tomato's and tomato paste that had 3g of sugar but the organic brand had about 3g's more. Any brand recommendations there?

We hesitate to recommend brands, because manufacturers can change their recipes without warning, making what was compliant, not -- so always read your labels.

Be sure when you look at the label you're looking at the actual ingredient list, not the nutritional information. Many things, including tomatoes, have naturally occurring sugars, and so there will be sugars on the nutritional information. However, if there is no added sugar in the ingredient list, they are okay. 

As I said above, always read your labels, but I know I have found some Pacific brand broths that are compliant -- there are also some that are not compliant, you'll just have to look, but maybe that brand is a place to start, if it's available where you are.

When a recipe calls for broth or stock, most of the time you can make a substitution. Instead of beef broth you can use chicken or veggie stock. Depending on the store, I've sometimes had better luck finding compliant veggie stock as opposed to chicken or beef.

• 3 weeks later...

US Wellness Meats has their own beef bone broth that I'm pretty sure is Whole 30 compliant.  Ingredients used: Center cut marrow bones, filtered water, apple cider vinegar, sprigs of fresh thyme, dried green peppercorns crushed, and parsley.  A 5lb pail is about $50. 

They also have chicken and duck stock.  Ingredients for the chicken stock: chicken stock (spring water, chicken bones, organic onion, organic carrot, organic celery, organic parsley, organic thyme, organic black malabar peppercorn, organic bay leaf), sherry vinegar.  Is sherry vinegar compliant?

• Moderators

US Wellness Meats has their own beef bone broth that I'm pretty sure is Whole 30 compliant.  Ingredients used: Center cut marrow bones, filtered water, apple cider vinegar, sprigs of fresh thyme, dried green peppercorns crushed, and parsley.  A 5lb pail is about $50. 

They also have chicken and duck stock.  Ingredients for the chicken stock: chicken stock (spring water, chicken bones, organic onion, organic carrot, organic celery, organic parsley, organic thyme, organic black malabar peppercorn, organic bay leaf), sherry vinegar.  Is sherry vinegar compliant?

Yes, sherry vinegar is okay.

Archived